Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.186.164
hocrjdaie

ANSWERED After installing Eddie, I cannot access a drive on my local network

I have an Airport Extreme base station with a hard drive attached. I installed Eddie recently. Now when I attempt to open the network drive attached to my base station (on my local network), macOS says "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “[Drive Name]” can’t be found."

I am on Catalina and I have the latest version of Eddie.

Disconnecting does not seem to help. Even turning off Network Lock does not seem to help.

Please help.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 10.36.33 PM.png

Since SMB is using DNS to resolve share names and Eddie's default behavior is to replace your local DNS with AirDNS, the reason gets clear. The fact it doesn't seem to work after disconnection and NetLock deactivation hints at a failure to revert to your original DNS. You not being able to browse to any website compliments this observation. It likely works again after a reboot.
Still, you didn't provide a log to proof this. How this is still not a standard after decades of support (forums) existence is beyond me.

So, in Eddie's preferences > DNS, try changing the method to None for troubleshooting purposes. If it doesn't solve the issue, attach an Eddie log, please.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I restarted my MacBook Pro and this seems to have resolved the problem. I also have set DNS Switching mode to "None". It is unclear to me if that had any effect.

16 hours ago, hocrjdaie said:

I also have set DNS Switching mode to "None".

This was it. As I stated, SMB is using DNS, and Eddie sets the DNS to AirDNS only, rendering SMB useless when using share names instead of IP addresses.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.