Not connected, Your IP: 3.86.235.207
go558a83nk

ANSWERED WINTUN replacement for Windows TAP driver

On 2/6/2020 at 11:48 PM, go558a83nk said:

The

windows-driver wintun
option must still be used in the VPN config, correct?

Yep.

I don't know how AirVPN client works, but if they plan to support wintun and they run openvpn.exe as a separate process, maybe one could have UI option (wintun/tap-windows6) and pass "--windows-driver <wintun|tap-windows6>" to openvpn.exe command line.

Hi to all, the latest Eddie 2.18.8 experimental released today, works with wintun, please test if interested.

Go to https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/, at bottom "OpenVPN 2.5_git wintun technology preview", click the "here" link and install.
If you already have the right "openvpn.exe", use it directly: Eddie will install the wintun driver when needed, and also create the adapter.

Eddie -> Settings -> Advanced -> OpenVPN Custom Path -> choose your "openvpn.exe" from 2.5, if already installed probably it is "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn.exe".

At this point, Eddie will use OpenVPN 2.5 (but still with standard TUN driver).

Eddie -> Settings -> OVPN directives -> Custom directives, add "windows-driver wintun".

At this point, Eddie will use the OpenVPN 2.5 with the newest Wintun driver.

Eddie -> Settings -> OVPN directives -> Custom directives, add "windows-driver wintun".
Is the add "windows-driver wintun" directive added with or without the "     " 's?.

5 hours ago, bluesjunior said:

Is the add "windows-driver wintun" directive added with or without the "     " 's?.

yes, without the quotes

On 3/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, Clodo said:

Hi to all, the latest Eddie 2.18.8 experimental released today, works with wintun, please test if interested.

Go to https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/, at bottom "OpenVPN 2.5_git wintun technology preview", click the "here" link and install.
If you already have the right "openvpn.exe", use it directly: Eddie will install the wintun driver when needed, and also create the adapter.

Eddie -> Settings -> Advanced -> OpenVPN Custom Path -> choose your "openvpn.exe" from 2.5, if already installed probably it is "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin\openvpn.exe".

At this point, Eddie will use OpenVPN 2.5 (but still with standard TUN driver).

At this point, Eddie will use the OpenVPN 2.5 with the newest Wintun driver.

I followed the stages in the post above and it has worked fantastically well for my Win10 OS, by more than doubling my D/L speed consistently for over a week now. In my Network Adapters screen though I have an unused and red crossed "Local Area Connection 2" option for the old TAP-Windows Adapter V9 as well as the one for the Wintun adapter. Is it okay for me to delete the older V9 adapter one?.

10 hours ago, Flx said:
Can you post a screenshot?

I can't now as i deleted it via Device Manager. Everything works as it should post deletion. Thanks for the reply.

On 3/30/2020 at 10:06 AM, bluesjunior said:

Without, "windows-driver wintun" without quotes.
The stable 2.18 includes the same tapctl.exe of OpenVPN, and runs automatically the "tapctl.exe create --hwid wintun" if no wintun adapter is available.
But we know there are some issues under investigation.

Posted ... (edited)

using wintun improved the speed slightly, but now the connection takes longer to get established 

Edited ... by yah_1991

seems to work well, but when I switch the dns address on the wintun adapter on windows to direct queries to my pi-hole, when I disconnect and reconnect the eddie client from the vpn, it reverts back to 10.35.38.1. I didn't have this problem on the TAP adapter. Is this normal behavior for wintun?

On 12/26/2019 at 12:20 AM, Flx said:
I don't believe you can do that with Eddie client as of yet. Eddie will be updated ASAP to OpenVPN 2.5.x or maybe sooner. You can install the OpenVPN 2.5_git Preview from the official website on your own and do this yourself.

You have replied to my post about a slow speed issue with the VPN engaged. I had come across posts like this talking about better performance with wintun and tried it before making my post. I followed the instructions from the 1st link below and while Eddie was recognizing the wintun driver it got stuck in a loop trying to connect. I feel like something may be missing from the instructions or I'm just missing something. Also, the version of OpenVPN listed in the link wasn't available and I got what I think is the more current version (2nd link). Are you able to provide further and/or more current info on this?  
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/46535-how-to-use-wintun-driver-in-windows/
https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/

22 hours ago, Sasquatch05 said:

the version of OpenVPN listed in the link wasn't available

You can still get it from snapshots if Beta1 Beta2 or Beta3 does not work in your case.
https://build.openvpn.net/downloads/snapshots/