Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.236.44
feroasker

Active Subscribtion and still spam popups

Hello,
3 days ago I got myself another 1 Month sub and im still getting popup windows with the black friday sale.
It literally alt tabs me out of my games I play and ruins my experience.
I couldnt find any option to disable that.

Please tell me that it is possible to disable that popup window.
Thats literally the only negative experience I have had with this vpn service.

Please help :/

Hey all, does anyone know a way to disable the promotional pop-ups on Eddie start-up, like for black friday and thanksgiving? It's... a bit much to have my privacy product making sales pitches to me. Thanks a lot.

Posted ... (edited)
On 11/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, feroasker said:

Please tell me that it is possible to disable that popup window.

Unfortunately not. You're also not the first one with this.

Hey all, does anyone know a way to disable the promotional pop-ups on Eddie start-up, like for black friday and thanksgiving? It's... a bit much to have my privacy product making sales pitches to me. Thanks a lot.

There is none.
But the club of annoyed by this users gets larger every day. :D Edited ... by giganerd
Edited answers to suit the merge

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Yes please add an option to disable these ads.

Free software ain't supposed to force anyone with useless features that way.

I've been using AirVPN for a few years now and this is the first time I've posted anything, and it's because I am getting really fed up with the pop-ups.
I wouldn't mind if there was  an option to disable it.
It would seem that AirVPN wants to exploit the fact I am literally a captive audience

This is not a way to treat customers.

Are we talking about actual pop-up windows, or browser (web push) Notifications?  If the latter, these can be disabled in your account settings.

It's about the modal dialogue that pops up right after Eddie client launches to notify of a sale.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I only get that popup when I first start Eddie, once I close the popup it does not appear again.  I don't mind it myself, reminds me that there is an excellent savings to be had, 3 years for the price of 1, can't beat that.  However, I understand what people are saying, there should be a toggle box for those who wish it.

4 hours ago, Weasel said:

I only get that popup when I first start Eddie, once I close the popup it does not appear again.  I don't mind it myself, reminds me that there is an excellent savings to be had, 3 years for the price of 1, can't beat that.  However, I understand what people are saying, there should be a toggle box for those who wish it.

Hello!

Do you mean that you still see the popup when you re-run Eddie? It was no more sent after Black Friday sales ended, and anyway it was never sent to anyone already having a long plan. When we did not send it during the past deals, we always received a massive, massive amount of tickets for weeks, from people complaining that they were not aware of a special offer and they missed it because Eddie did not tell them anything and they discovered the special offer when it was too late.

If you still see the popup can you please report at your convenience?

Kind regards

On 12/9/2019 at 12:25 AM, Staff said:

@StaffReiterating previous suggestions, it is fine for pop-ups to be enabled by default but please have a toggle for users who never want the client software to create pop-ups.  If this is not possible, at least please consider setting the default so that pop-ups are never created when another application is running in full-screen mode.  (If users who opt out of pop-ups miss announcement of a sale, that's their problem not yours.)

4 hours ago, BlueBanana said:

Ok, no more discounts from now on...hence no more annoying popups!

I don't even use the Eddie client but it just seems completely correct that users should be able to opt out of pop-ups.  And I would be completely alright with fewer promotional discounts throughout the year — price is important, but shouldn't be the main reason someone chooses a particular VPN tbh.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, Staff said:

Hello!

Do you mean that you still see the popup when you re-run Eddie? It was no more sent after Black Friday sales ended, and anyway it was never sent to anyone already having a long plan. When we did not send it during the past deals, we always received a massive, massive amount of tickets for weeks, from people complaining that they were not aware of a special offer and they missed it because Eddie did not tell them anything and they discovered the special offer when it was too late.

Kind regards

I stopped getting the popup after about Dec 2, but from around the 3rd week of Nov to that date each time I started Eddie I got the popup, which was fine by me.  I was tempted to extend my subscription but as I still have a year+ left I figured I would gamble that it would be offered again next year.

On 12/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Staff said:

It was no more sent after Black Friday sales ended, and anyway it was never sent to anyone already having a long plan. When we did not send it during the past deals, we always received a massive, massive amount of tickets for weeks, from people complaining that they were not aware of a special offer and they missed it because Eddie did not tell them anything and they discovered the special offer when it was too late.

It is a pity when people does this. Whine when they missed a deals. How could they not know those major sale days highly likely to have sales on every facet of their live. Do I whine when I miss a deal? No because there is always a deal next time. It will never be the last deal. Honestly, there is no middle ground to please every one.

I can understand why some users have a problem with it due to popups during the game which cause them to leave the game. Yea, that is an issue that need to be fixed. Popup should only popup after starting up Eddie, not during Eddie entire session. Or show the popup as a background and flash the icon in the taskbar, so that why it is out of the way at the same time, it is noticeable that might need attention.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, yparghi said:

AirVPN is firstly a business. Businesses do this all the times. It didn't matter the specialities of the product, they still do it. Because business need to retain their consumers and gain new users. It is business 101. I rather to have AirVPN to advertise their deal in Eddie popups than doing NordVPN way by sponsoring thousands of YouTubers. Those sponsored YouTubers are parroting from script that is likely made by NordVPN and it is clear as their eyes telling YouTubers don't know what to do with it. I been seeing  NordVPN mass-sponsorship and ads in YouTube since June, I become suspicious of it. And my gut feeling is correct when that new of NordVPN came out.

It still a privacy product, a privacy product is showing you there is a deal. By doing so, you will likely to retain their service.

1 hour ago, NoiselessOwl said:

IPopup should only popup after starting up Eddie, not during Eddie entire session.

Hello!

That's the way it has always been. A pop-up is displayed only when Eddie is launched.

show the popup as a background and flash the icon in the taskbar,

Again, that's the way they work (except for the flashing of the tray icon, which is not implemented). There can be only ONE pop-up. Furthermore the pop up is displayed in an asynchronous  window, i.e it does not interfere with other windows and does not stop Eddie operations (for example if it must enable Network Lock and connect at startup, it will do so even if you ignore the pop-up).

In other words, Eddie's pop-ups are not invasive and everything continues to go on even if you ignore the pop up window and never click on it (exception: in Android views, you will have to change view or dismiss pop-up, according to Google Android guidelines). And the feedback is clear: no pop-ups, something like several hundreds of complaints. Pop-ups, less than 20 complaints.

Last but not least, pop-ups are sent only to users whose plan's expiration date is nearer than a certain amount of days.

I been seeing  NordVPN mass-sponsorship and ads in YouTube since June, I become suspicious of it. And my gut feeling is correct when that new of NordVPN came out.

Yes, and a further confirmation comes from the fact that NordVPN Android app sends your data to various trackers. Proof:
https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/com.nordvpn.android/latest/

Kind regards