Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.145.110
hydrotux

AirVPN fallback connection on pfSense

After years of trying open source routers and VPN services I'm coming to the conclusion that pfSense and AirVPn are a great combination. Following some problems withe the server I was connected to in Sweden today, I've realised I need a fallback solution. Basically, is it possible to set up a second openVPN connection to a different AirVPN server if the default connection falls i.e. openVPN disconnects on server 1, pfSense 2.4 brings up connetion to server 2 automatically. If this can't be done automatically, is it just a matter of creating a second VPN connection/internface and activating/deactivating manually base on which server is performing well?

Thanks

you can create gateway groups and have multiple tiers within the gateway group.  the rule for the group can be such that when one tier is down it falls back to the next tier.

the only problem, last I tested, is that once the higher tier gateway is back up it won't automatically fall "up" to it.

13 hours ago, go558a83nk said:

you can create gateway groups and have multiple tiers within the gateway group.  the rule for the group can be such that when one tier is down it falls back to the next tier.

the only problem, last I tested, is that once the higher tier gateway is back up it won't automatically fall "up" to it.

Correct

Cheer people, some great knowledge on these AirVPN forum. I'm impressed by how much support there is here. THis is more than just VPN and I sem to get more support here than on the pfSense forums (actually thinking of moving to OPenSense in the near future).

Wolke68, your "pfSense baseline guide with VPN, Guest and VLAN support" is really excellent (and i've only read the first few sections ....)!!.

this is so simple and included in the directions for the pfsense connection:  

##### CLIENT OPTIONS #####;
server-poll-timeout 10   ### When polling possible remote servers to connect to in a round-robin fashion, spend no more than n seconds waiting for a response before trying the next server. ###;
explicit-exit-notify 5;

##### TUNNEL OPTIONS #####;
### Use Multple "remote" entries with the according entry IP address of your favorite servers       ###;
### other than the server entered in the "Server Host or Address" entry above and pfSense           ###;
### will automatically recconnect in a round robin fashion if the server you are connected to       ###;
### goes down or is having quality issues. Edit and uncomment the fake lines below or add your own. ###;
###remote XX.XX.XX.XX 443   ###AirVPN_US-Atlanta-Georgia_Kaus_UDP-443###;
###remote XXX.XX.XX.XXX 2018   ###AirVPN_US-Miami_Acamar_UDP-2018###;
###remote XXX.XX.XX.XXX 2018   ###AirVPN_US-Miami_Yildun_UDP-2018###;
###remote XX.XX.XX.XX 53   ###AirVPN_US-Miami_Cursa_UDP-53###;
###remote XXX.XX.XX.XX 443   ###AirVPN_CA-Dheneb_UDP-443###;
###remote XXX.XX.XXX.XXX 443  ###AirVPN_CA-Saiph_UDP-443###;