Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.254.78
Tristan66

Slow finding server on Windows 10

Hi, I am a recent convert to AirVPN and am happy with it. I do find, though, that while I can log in to a server very quickly on Android, that it takes several minutes before I can find a server when using Windows. Is this normal? Or perhaps one of my settings is slowing the connection down. I have attached the system report. Thank you for a great product!

AirVPN sysreport.txt

Hello and thank you for your nice feedback!

As far as we can see from the log, various delays sum up. During the connection a delay is caused by OpenVPN when it calls "netsh.exe" and "route.exe" the first time. After both binaries have been called for the first time, subsequent calls become faster (caching). It hints to some slow I/O (more on this later).

First, try to resolve the following warning:
W 2019.11.24 21:42:24 - OpenVPN > Warning: route gateway is ambiguous: 192.168.1.1 (2 matches)

It is generally caused by two interfaces having the same gateway, for example if you keep Ethernet and WiFi connections to the same router both active. You can in this case turn off WiFi card, if it's not needed by some other setup in your system.

As far as it pertains to Eddie, we see delays in the DNS flush (5 seconds), which is a highly recommended procedure, so nothing effective can be done about it.

Another 5 seconds delay is caused by route check and DNS check, security operations which can be suppressed if you keep Network Lock enabled. You can  bypass them respectively:
- in "Preferences" > "Advanced", by unticking "Check if VPN tunnel works"
- in "Preferences" > "DNS" by unticking "Check Air VPN DNS"
Remember that if you cancel the above verifications, you should keep Network Lock enabled for safety reasons.

A high delay is caused by Eddie's DNS operations:
. 2019.11.24 21:42:28 - DNS leak protection with packet filtering enabled.
. 2019.11.24 21:43:52 - DNS IPv4 of a network adapter forced (Ethernet 2, from automatic to 10.6.14.1)
. 2019.11.24 21:43:52 - DNS IPv6 of a network adapter forced (Ethernet 2, from automatic to fde6:7a:7d20:20e::1)

You can see that between "leak protection with packet filtering enabled" and forcing DNS on network adapters the remarkable amount of 24 seconds is needed, which is unexpected, as in our systems Eddie is much faster to do that.

Please check whether your HDD is significantly fragmented. If it is, consider to defragment it: all operations involving I/O to/from the HDD will be faster after the procedure is complete, including I/O by OpenVPN and Eddie.

Last but not least, Eddie 2.18.5 beta has been rewritten in various parts to speed up various operations. If you wish so, you might test the latest Eddie and check whether connection time decreases. If you are interested in testing, please see here:

Feel free to keep us posted!

Kind regards

Similar issues here... only recently started having problems with Eddie UI + Win10. It fails to connect to any other US servers and always fails back to Acamar. Whats worse is that server is widely blacklisted on many sites due to some unsavory users, making it not so useful. It is unusually slow connecting. That said, once I finally do connect, the speeds are very good and the service is very stable. Might try the new Beta.

Beta 2.18.5 seemed to do the trick... I uninstalled the problematic 2.16.3 and the TAP driver, rebooted and installed 2.18.5 beta. It connected much faster and to the server of my choice. Ran a speed test at 35mbps up and 6mbs down 36ms ping. Ran a DNS leak test and no leaks detected.

I definitely see some positive changes in how the new Eddie runs... so far so good.