Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.247.185
Mitscha

access through CGNAT (4G/LTE-router) to my Qnap fileserver

Posted ... (edited)

Dear experts, & all other ex-noobs 🙂
I connect to the internet via a 4G/LTE modem/router (Dlink DWR-921), and therefore am behind a "double NAT" or CGNAT, making it impossible to access my fileserver, or anything else, from out on the internet.
So I'm hopning AirVPN can help resolve this problem...
I have a Qnap TS-269L running QTS 4.3.4.1082, and use it's Qvnp-server ver. 2.
I have used the Config Generator (Europe, Linux) to create a .ovnp-file, and try to import it intoQvnp by Qvnp-VPN Connection Profiles-Add.
It has now been running for about an hour, and just sits there, "loading".
As I'm a total noob with this VPN-thing, I'd be enormously thankful to get a step-by-step howto as to getting this to work, also how I can connect to my fileserver from the internet, i.e. which address should i type to connect to my fileserver.
Do I need to set up port-forwarding on the modem/router?
To make it all more complicated, I have a backup fileserver at another location, running on a Qnap TS-239 Pro 2, behind a Huawei e5186s-22a 4G/LTE modem/router. There I have the same questions.
I want to set up the 2 Qnaps to mutually sync, and I need them both to communicate via AirVPN...
I have been scouring both AirVPN and Qnap fora, but have found no exact howto...
Thx in advance....

Edited ... by Mitscha
included questions on second server

I cannot help you with the QNAP part. But for reachability, when forwarding a port, there is a field called DDNS where you can enter some name. Let's say, you entered myname there and left the port field empty, so that the system forwarded port 9000 randomly. Now, when you connect to AirVPN, you can use that name with the port to access your device. The address would be myname.airdns.org:9000.

2 hours ago, Mitscha said:

It has now been running for about an hour, and just sits there, "loading".

None of it helps you, though, if you can't even import your profile. As I wrote, maybe someone else with QNAP experience can help you out.

Do I need to set up port-forwarding on the modem/router?

Refrain from doing that. You only need a port forwarded here.

I want to set up the 2 Qnaps to mutually sync, and  I need them both to communicate via AirVPN...

This, on the other hand, will be more difficult if you want to use the above DDNS thing. You see, when two devices are connected, querying that DDNS name will always point to the last connected device. So you will reach your second box with it, but the first only when the second box disconnects.
A workaround is to always use the same server for every device, i.e. one for the first QNAP and another for the other. Since all servers have static IPs, you will always reach your first QNAP by its AirVPN server exit IP, and the second one with the other exit IP.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Thank you very much for your answer...
as I understand it,  I get 5 servers per subscription, so I'd assign one to each of the NAS?
which means I have to assign, for example, a Belgian server to one, and a Dutch to the other, when I run the config - page? 
I hope very much somebody, either here or at Qnap, can walk me through the setup....

2 minutes ago, Mitscha said:

as I understand it,  I get 5 servers per subscription, so I'd assign one to each of the NAS?

You get 5 simultaneous connections from any device to any server. Two connections to one server will still be two connections.

What? No. You get five simultaneous connections. You can connect your two QNAPs and then maybe your PC and two of your iPhones at the same time, if you need it. If you disconnect the iPhones, you can connect one Android and one PC, or maybe a router, whatever you want, but to the maximum of five connections at the same time. The number of devices you can use is unlimited, they are not saved or connected somewhere in a database.