Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.91.98
smoothcriminal

Client software very slow to log in/out and random disconnects/redirects

Two issues, neither of which is critical but they are a bit concerning.

Over the past few months I've noticed that logging into the AirVPN software is very slow on my PC and nothing has really changed on that machine.  I made sure to upgrade to the latest version of the Eddie software and that did not fix it.  Even logging out takes an abnormally long amount of time.  I'm talking around 30 seconds or so for each.  It never used to be this way.  Once I'm in, though, everything seems to function as expected.  Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Additionally, I've always periodically gotten booted from the AirVPN server and it automatically reconnects, usually to a Canadian server for some unknown reason.  It's usually when I'm away from the PC and not actively using the connection.  It's possible there are brief drops overnight from my ISP, though I kind of doubt it.  My service is quite good where I am.  Was curious what might be causing it and why it reconnects to Canada.  Also related to this - sometimes I can't seem to connect to low-load servers and it just redirects me to another one (again, usually Canada).  This seems strange to me.

Support file?  You mean the log from within the main UI?  It doesn't show much.  Looks pretty normal to me.  You'll see below that it took 41 seconds to login, though.  Also, I got a weird popup from Eddit this morning about not being able to bootstrap.  I don't know exactly what this means in this context.  I had Eddie left open all night and I believe I was logged in but disconnected from a server.  I exited and came back in after seeing that and then saw the response here so that log is gone I believe.

. 2019.11.09 10:19:34 - Eddie version: 2.16.3 / windows_x64, System: Windows, Name: Windows 8.1 Pro, Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0, Mono/.Net: v4.0.30319
. 2019.11.09 10:19:34 - Reading options from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\AirVPN\default.xml
. 2019.11.09 10:19:34 - Command line arguments (1): path="home"
. 2019.11.09 10:19:34 - Profile path: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\AirVPN\default.xml
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - OpenVPN Driver - TAP-Windows Adapter V9, version 9.21.2
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - OpenVPN - Version: 2.4.6 - OpenSSL 1.1.0h  27 Mar 2018, LZO 2.10 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\openvpn.exe)
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - SSH - Version: plink 0.67 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\plink.exe)
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - SSL - Version: stunnel 5.40 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\stunnel.exe)
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - curl - Version: 7.54.1 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\curl.exe)
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - Certification Authorities: C:\Program Files\AirVPN\res\cacert.pem
. 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - Updating systems & servers data ...
I 2019.11.09 10:19:36 - Ready
I 2019.11.09 10:20:02 - Checking login ...
. 2019.11.09 10:20:17 - Systems & servers data update completed
! 2019.11.09 10:20:43 - Logged in.

No, the complete support log. It's viewable in the Logs tab when clicking on the life belt icon.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Ah, the bootstrap error. As long as you can connect, it's quite okay, especially if it works after connection. The latter can mean that they are being blocked by your firewall for example. Check your router for this and maybe also disable your OS' firewall for the time being to test that out.
If you can't figure it out, in Preferences > UI > Hide bootstrap failed window, these alerts can be disabled, although it doesn't fix the issue. :)

On 11/9/2019 at 12:28 AM, smoothcriminal said:

Additionally, I've always periodically gotten booted from the AirVPN server and it automatically reconnects, usually to a Canadian server for some unknown reason.  It's usually when I'm away from the PC and not actively using the connection.  It's possible there are brief drops overnight from my ISP, though I kind of doubt it.  My service is quite good where I am.  Was curious what might be causing it and why it reconnects to Canada.  Also related to this - sometimes I can't seem to connect to low-load servers and it just redirects me to another one (again, usually Canada).  This seems strange to me.

Did you whitelist Canada at some point, even if you reverted it once? Maybe the Canadian servers are always the best for you? Because Eddie reconnects you to the best server if nothing is white/blacklisted.

I have always had the Windows firewall disabled so that's not a contributing factor.  I do have firewall software but AirVPN has always been set to allow all traffic.  I ran a test by temporarily disabling the firewall software completely for all programs/traffic and nothing changed.  No, I did not have to whitelist Canada at any point and never did anything special with those servers with regards to OS or firewall settings.  The only thing I recall is that I used to use those as my primary a while back but now I use a few US servers as my primary.  Maybe something on the AirVPN side sees that my account used to prefer Canada and is routing based on that.

17 hours ago, smoothcriminal said:

Maybe something on the AirVPN side sees that my account used to prefer Canada and is routing based on that.

Such info is not saved. :D Would be a little privacy issue.

You can try a default airvpn.xml configuration file. In your user files, there's an AirVPN directory, and in there is this XML file. You could move it somewhere else and launch Eddie. You need to reconfigure it, of course, but I want to see if it's an Eddie config issue.

The XML thing did not solve the problem.  I also noticed that after removing the file, closing the software, and then re-opening it - that I now have a IPv6 exit address even though IPv6 is disabled on my system OS as well as in the Eddie client after updating the settings due to the XML removal.  A new default.xml file is not generated by the software again for some strange reason even after re-saving the settings, closing, and re-opening, and connecting to a server.  I closed the software and restored the original default.xml file and re-opened and connected to a server.  I still see the IPv6 address.  However, when I go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ I only see IPv4 so I'm not sure what's going on.  But it definitely did not solve the issue.

4 hours ago, smoothcriminal said:

that I now have a IPv6 exit address even though IPv6 is disabled on my system OS as well as in the Eddie client

Check your tap-adapter. The IPv4 & IPv6 are assigned by the AirVPN server you connect to. Even if disabled for the main adapter(Ethernet WI-FI).
4 hours ago, smoothcriminal said:

However, when I go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ I only see IPv4 so I'm not sure what's going on. 

Your IPv6 is blocked by your System(pid 4) or Windows Operating System(pid 0). (Look at the link in the next post if more explaining is needed/required.)
On 11/11/2019 at 6:27 PM, smoothcriminal said:

I do have firewall software

Open the "Traffic panel/icon" in your software firewall.
Do you see any IPv6-ICMP traffic(IN/OUT) displayed?

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I don't want IPv6 being used.  I want to restrict to IPv4 so it seems from my tests that IPv6 is disabled.  I was just concerned at first because the Eddie client showed it being enabled.  I don't seem to have any actual IPv6 addresses, so I'm not sure where Eddie is getting that from, but everything else looks good in that regard.

Still can't figure out why it takes forever to log in, though.

16 hours ago, smoothcriminal said:

I was just concerned at first because the Eddie client showed it being enabled.

If/When you connect IPv4 & IPv6 not IPv4-only you will get an Assigned IPv4 & IPv6 for the TAP-adapter.
16 hours ago, smoothcriminal said:

Still can't figure out why it takes forever to log in, though.

Someone that uses Eddie app for Windows OS may be able to help you there.