Not connected, Your IP: 18.232.188.122
Regrave

Installing Eddie on Mac without admin privs?

At my job I want to use the VPN, but I'm unable to gain administrator privaledges in order to let Eddie install. I have the portable version. Is there any way to bypass the administrator login and still use this VPN?

Not a macOS pro, but on both Windows and Linux you need privileges for it. If there's no way to configure OpenVPN via the network manager, there might be no way to run it without admin. I think it's the same on macOS.

Buuut, maybe someone around here can actually give you a nice way. Keep in mind, though, that, if VPN usage is forbidden by your job contract, you really shouldn't use it if you love your job. :D

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Nah my job doesn't have anything about it listed so I'm good. Slap on the wrist if anything. 

And I was able to get another vpn working (idk if im allowed to say which). I'll probably have to change back to that once.

If anybody can find a way of doing this, I'd love to stay here

22 minutes ago, Regrave said:

And I was able to get another vpn working (idk if im allowed to say which). I'll probably have to change back to that once.

Names are okay in this context. :)

Posted ... (edited)

ProtonVPN was able to do it. I had to install it onto another mac (with admin privs), then deliver the .app from it to my work mac. I dont know if it had complete functionality, but it did what I needed it to do.

Edited ... by Regrave

2 hours ago, Regrave said:

ProtonVPN was able to do it. I had to install it onto another mac (with admin privs), then deliver the .app from it to my work mac. I dont know if it had complete functionality, but it did what I needed it to do.

Hi,

if you find a way to modify routing table, default gateway and firewall rules in a computer from an account that can't have superuser privileges then you should have found a critical vulnerability in that computer.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Staff said:

if you find a way to modify routing table, default gateway and firewall rules in a computer from an account that can't have superuser privileges then you should have found a critical vulnerability in that computer.

I think, not necessarily. Since ProtonVPN also offers IKEv2 protocol, it could easily be that Mr. Regrave was using that without noticing it.

4 hours ago, Regrave said:

ProtonVPN was able to do it

Are you sure you are referring to their OpenVPN offer?

Posted ... (edited)
11 hours ago, giganerd said:

I think, not necessarily. Since ProtonVPN also offers IKEv2 protocol, it could easily be that Mr. Regrave was using that without noticing it.

Are you sure you are referring to their OpenVPN offer?
I'm unsure which one I used. I don't actually remember picking one or the other, and just went with the fact it worked lol. I was using the trial version when I originally used it and it still worked perfectly fine. If it helps at all I still had to log in using my mac user account instead if an administrator one when trying to connect to a server. Edited ... by Regrave
Added info about logging in

20 hours ago, Regrave said:

If it helps at all I still had to log in using my mac user account instead if an administrator one when trying to connect to a server.

Sounds like sudo.. can you please try a beta/experimental Eddie build? On the download page, click Other versions > Experimental, then download the portable again and execute. Report back if it changed anything.