Not connected, Your IP: 3.81.79.135
Mpress2018

Slow vpn - usually Dallas servers

For about a week any time I am connected to servers in Dallas my VPN connection is extremely slow, around 300 Kbps vs the 24+ Mbps it usually is.  Also it takes several seconds to do DNS resolution.  Connections to other servers are not as bad but it still seems slower overall.

I have the latest Linux version of the OpenVPN software with the default configuration - no specific ways of tunnelling through AT&T's U-Verse network specified (I did turn off some IPV6 stuff and set up a couple of local routes for 2 local networks).  At any rate, I have made no recent changes to configurations, etc.  When I am not on the VPN speeds are normal and full-speed.  I don't have any issues with the internet connection.

I don't know what specific info to give you other than this.
I would be willing to capture traces/logs, etc., as neede to help try and identify the issue

Any thoughts?
Thanks.  Mike.

1 hour ago, Mpress2018 said:

I would be willing to capture traces/logs, etc., as neede to help try and identify the issue

Why not now? OpenVPN logs are most helpful, they contain software and library versions for example...

Also it takes several seconds to do DNS resolution.

When I deployed dnsmasq as a DNS cache, I could connect on port 53 but any DNS request would take a few seconds. Maybe such correlations are at work here, too. For this we'd need, of course, the logs, since they contain info on which server was connected to on which port... ;)

Any thoughts?

Right now? Sleepy ones. :D

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I second this. Dallas servers have been my go to. There are extremely slow for the past week or so. In fact all US servers have been awful for me.  Something is odd with them for sure. 

Dallas servers are just fine.  I just got 269mbit/s with testmy.net (speed test server in Dallas) which uses only a single stream for testing.  That's quite good.

I'm running openvpn on a pfsense box.

Well, wouldn't you know.  Get up to start tracing, etc., and all seems well this morning.  DNS is resolving quickly like it used to and the throughput is as it was.  Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on things for a while.

But, back to normal now...

Mike.

Hello!

The problem got solved but it's the second time it occurs in just 10 days. A high volume router check-up has been scheduled for the next working day as the problem could be sorted out only by rebooting that router in both cases. Please do not hesitate to report again any malfunction in Dallas in the meantime.

Kind regards

On 10/3/2019 at 2:00 PM, Staff said:

Hello!

The problem got solved but it's the second time it occurs in just 10 days. A high volume router check-up has been scheduled for the next working day as the problem could be sorted out only by rebooting that router in both cases. Please do not hesitate to report again any malfunction in Dallas in the meantime.

Kind regards

how did it go?  I noticed that Dallas servers went down again so I assume that was the router check. 

Yeah Dallas servers are still acting up. Hope we can get those fixed soon.

I can confirm for working on connecting on different ports.  80, 443, 41885.   Pegasus and others are extremely slow right now.

I have 2 other tunnels (non airvpn) working fine on my Pfsense box 

Yea Dallas is a crap shoot. Connected to Alcaid (Chicago) right now that Amazon completely blocks along with Micro also (Chicago). The issue with Dallas has been intermitent over what the past 2 weeks. Things will be just fine then poof pages quit loading. Check the status and packet loss or low bandwith is what the status always says here on Air for all Dallas Severs. So something at that center is jacked up and faulty or something. Maybe time to find another Dallas location again.

On a side note would be great to actually get Amazon to load on the Chicago servers but currently they are blocking connection to those servers. When Dallas is up I don't have a single issue loading up Amazon.com

I am actively working on this problem in the Dallas data center.  I *will* get this problem resolved.  My deepest apologies to AirVPN and its customers.