Not connected, Your IP: 3.214.184.196
bluvisnu

VPN with config generator showing my real address on Linux

Hi, i am on Manjaro Linux using the Eddie Openvpn software and it works flawlessly but what i want is to use the Config generator importing a saved VPN configuration to get a better OS integration without using Eddie.
So i used the config generator for some time until i noticed that my IP wasn't hidden anymore or wasn't ever hidden, for example when i type 'my IP' on the Duckduckgo search i get the VPN IP address somewhere else in the world which is what i want but if i go on an IP testing website they show my real address. i changed my browser settings to fix the leaks and stuff but nothing does it until i just use Eddie, I am forgetting something in the settings ? what can i do ?
i'd like to understand what is wrong thank you for your help

Which client are you trying to use?

Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Amazon IPs are not dangerous here. It's the fallback DNS.
Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

XMPP: gigan3rd@xmpp.airvpn.org or join our lounge@conference.xmpp.airvpn.org

Just with the Linux network settings i can import a saved VPN configuration file just like the Openvpn ones or the ones generated on Airvpn. (see the screenshot)

Screenshot_20191002_200824.png

I tried that as well with KDE's network manager. It's neat because you can automatically connect to a VPN once you enable a network profile which saves time and does also work as DNS leak protection when you configure a static DNS server. However, it's not always clear when that connection has a problem and the logs are more or less "hidden". The import does not work very well and it doesn't support some of the directives AirVPN sets and I also couldn't make it work properly with IPv6 back then. Maybe things changed now. I should probably test myself :D

Which sites are you testing your OpenVPN connection against and what exactly do they report? It could very well be that you simply didn't configure it to use AirDNS, as the network manager doesn't change what the profile on which you connect with the OpenVPN profile dictates.

Four simple things:
There's a guide to AirVPN. Before you ask questions, take 30 minutes of your time to go through it.

Running TOR exits is discouraged. They're subject to restrictions on the internet and harm all AirVPN users.

Furthermore, I propose that your paranoia is to be destroyed. If you overdo privacy, you'll be unique among the mass again.

Yes that's what i used to do, i just make it connect with my wifi automatically so i never have to think about it, but it doesn't work anymore.
So i just type 'my ip' on duckduckdo which shows the ip address from the VPN (screenshot), then i try some websites from the first duckduckgo page and some shows my real ip address and ISP without allowing them to know my location from the browser (other screenshot same connection with KDE network manager), for exemple myip.com, whatismyip.com, whatismyip.network, whatismyipaddress.com... with Eddie my IP address is hidden in every website but with KDE network manager some websites can see my IP address but duckduckgo shows the VPN address.
if i am not mad it used to work and i used Airvpn for 6 months this way, do i forget a setting using KDE network manager because i just add the VPN file and don't add any other setting to it.

Screenshot_20191003_074946.png

Screenshot_20191003_080237.png

Do you have the same problem if you use OpenVPN from command line?

Four simple things: