Not connected, Your IP: 35.171.159.141
bluvisnu

VPN with config generator showing my real address on Linux

Hi, i am on Manjaro Linux using the Eddie Openvpn software and it works flawlessly but what i want is to use the Config generator importing a saved VPN configuration to get a better OS integration without using Eddie.
So i used the config generator for some time until i noticed that my IP wasn't hidden anymore or wasn't ever hidden, for example when i type 'my IP' on the Duckduckgo search i get the VPN IP address somewhere else in the world which is what i want but if i go on an IP testing website they show my real address. i changed my browser settings to fix the leaks and stuff but nothing does it until i just use Eddie, I am forgetting something in the settings ? what can i do ?
i'd like to understand what is wrong thank you for your help

Just with the Linux network settings i can import a saved VPN configuration file just like the Openvpn ones or the ones generated on Airvpn. (see the screenshot)

Screenshot_20191002_200824.png

I tried that as well with KDE's network manager. It's neat because you can automatically connect to a VPN once you enable a network profile which saves time and does also work as DNS leak protection when you configure a static DNS server. However, it's not always clear when that connection has a problem and the logs are more or less "hidden". The import does not work very well and it doesn't support some of the directives AirVPN sets and I also couldn't make it work properly with IPv6 back then. Maybe things changed now. I should probably test myself :D

Which sites are you testing your OpenVPN connection against and what exactly do they report? It could very well be that you simply didn't configure it to use AirDNS, as the network manager doesn't change what the profile on which you connect with the OpenVPN profile dictates.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Yes that's what i used to do, i just make it connect with my wifi automatically so i never have to think about it, but it doesn't work anymore.
So i just type 'my ip' on duckduckdo which shows the ip address from the VPN (screenshot), then i try some websites from the first duckduckgo page and some shows my real ip address and ISP without allowing them to know my location from the browser (other screenshot same connection with KDE network manager), for exemple myip.com, whatismyip.com, whatismyip.network, whatismyipaddress.com... with Eddie my IP address is hidden in every website but with KDE network manager some websites can see my IP address but duckduckgo shows the VPN address.
if i am not mad it used to work and i used Airvpn for 6 months this way, do i forget a setting using KDE network manager because i just add the VPN file and don't add any other setting to it.

Screenshot_20191003_074946.png

Screenshot_20191003_080237.png

For information i had this problem on Manjaro KDE and i installed Arch budgie instead ( which uses Gnome network manager) and i don't have this problem anymore so the problem was with either KDE or Manjaro.
My location can now be well hidden both with and without using Eddie.
same problem after rebooting...

You are installing Arch over a distribution whose package repositories are the same as Arch's. :)
Try another "world", like Debian or CentOS. They have other kernel and software versions, maybe it's a distribution configuration thing
?
Also try it in another network.

Same thing happends with a ubuntu based distro, maybe it is the network as you said because it used to work with all my pc whatever the distro and now it doesn't work on any pc (if I remember correctly they have activated the ipv6 not long ago...). I didn't change distro for that reason because it isn't really a problem, I just wanted to understand more.

24 minutes ago, bluvisnu said:

if I remember correctly they have activated the ipv6 not long ago...

Oooh, I should've seen this earlier. :( It's the solution, I guess.
When you generate your config on the respective client area page, do you tick Advanced mode and then IPv4 & IPv6? IPv4 only is the default!
Because in the post with two of your screenshots I see the AirVPN server's IPv4 on DDG, then Air's v4 on Whatsmyipaddress and a v6 from Orange, it seems. You are connected successfully the whole time but apparently you don't route v6.

i really hoped it was it but it didn't work, i get the same problem... by the way I have found another way to connect successfully with Qomui a VPN software similar to Eddie.

So i'm playing around with this VPN software called Qomui checking and unchecking boxes and options and testing my IP on the web and i have found something.
When, within Qomui i activate the firewall my IP is Well hidden but when i deactivate it, it leaks like usual, so there may be something there...something is leaking so i will try without other software but the network manager and a firewall.

Screenshot from 2019-10-22 11-49-42.png

Why don't you now start posting your logfiles here? I'm ashamed of myself to not have asked that earlier. :)

to Giganerd: which logfiles, how to get them ?
to Flx: i am not using OpenDNS because when i do the VPN doesn't work anymore, so i am using the default DNS from AirVPN.

34 minutes ago, bluvisnu said:

to Flx: i am not using OpenDNS because when i do the VPN doesn't work anymore, so i am using the default DNS from AirVPN.

I can see the DNS servers in the Qomui App aka Corrado's project.
34 minutes ago, bluvisnu said:

i am not using OpenDNS because when i do the VPN doesn't work anymore

WOW. I am speechless.
Change your DNS to Uncensored DNS for example. Let's see how that goes.

On 10/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, giganerd said:

It's neat because you can automatically connect to a VPN once you enable a network profile which saves time and does also work as DNS leak protection when you configure a static DNS server

@bluvisnu
Suggestion:
If you have a router just gathering dust around. Flash it with DD-WRT/Tomato and use that as your static DNS server.

sorry, i wrote the opposite of what i wanted to write, when i use OpenDNS it doesn't work anymore when i turn the VPN on, so i removed it.
when i go to the OpenDNS test page without the VPN it says that i am using OpenDNS but when i connect the VPN the same page says that i am not usig OpenDNS.

42 minutes ago, bluvisnu said:

sorry, i wrote the opposite of what i wanted to write, when i use OpenDNS it doesn't work anymore when i turn the VPN on, so i removed it.

What did you remove?
42 minutes ago, bluvisnu said:

when i go to the OpenDNS test page without the VPN it says that i am using OpenDNS but when i connect the VPN the same page says that i am not usig OpenDNS.

The moment you connect to an AirVPN server. AirVPN DNS takes over.
Who configured your Linux OS with OpenDNS as your DNS provider?

i removed the OpenVPN adresses from my network manager, because i never use internet without VPN so i don't need to use OpenVPN
yes that is why i removed OpenVPN.
i did configured my Os and trust me i don't know much but i did my best !

1 hour ago, bluvisnu said:

i removed the OpenVPN adresses from my network manager, because i never use internet without VPN so i don't need to use OpenVPN
yes that is why i removed OpenVPN.
i did configured my Os and trust me i don't know much but i did my best !

You can't be serious. I hope your joking!

lol we can say i am joking,  i don't know why i am writing VPN instead of DNS today but it makes no sense at all.
so i removed OPENDNS because i never connect without VPN and with the VPN on, OPENDNS doesn't work, because as you know AIRVPN DNS takes over, now it makes sense, sorry.
so it is OPENDNS that i removed not OPENVPN lol