Not connected, Your IP: 34.228.43.90
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.18beta released

Win10 64 bit Pro. I had to delete the elevation service with command line SC DELETE EddieElevationService (as an administrator).
This removed the elevation service problem.
But now I get the message: Driver installation failed.
My apps show I have TAP-Windows 9.24.2.
I there a way to solve this problem?

I would uninstall everything Eddie related, including the Eddie program folder and the TAP driver.  Reboot and install Eddie 2.18.7 beta again; a fresh Eddie re-installation should take care of the newer TAP driver at the same time.  Just to be certain, make sure Secure Boot is turned off in UEFI.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:58 PM, EtV said:

After removing the daemon and re-enabling the Preference, Eddies now starts without prompting for a password to elevate privileges, as expected.  Might there be a way going forward to avoid the manual intervention of removing the prior iteration of the daemon as part of each upgrade?

You are right, we know the cause. No manual intervention will be required in future, this will be fixed before the next release. Thx.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:44 PM, Chino said:

I can't build AUR package eddie-ui-git 2.18.7-1. The problem seems to be in PKGBUILD:

34 "cd eddie-air" no such directory
Fixed, please retry. Thx.

18 hours ago, jeuia3e9x74uxu6wk0r2u9kdos said:

First of all I'm not an expert about VPN-ish topics.

Looking at the logs I've noticed Eddie uses OpenVPN > library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.0l  10 Sep 2019 but here ( https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html ) it is said that Versions 1.1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.0 and 0.9.8 are no longer supported and that since OpenSSL 1.1.0 is not an LTS release it will start receiving security fixes only and it will cease receiving all support in one years time (https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2018/09/11/release111/).

I am just curious to know if there is a particular reason to not update to the 1.1.1 branch.

Previously we compiled ourselves OpenVPN, but for a problem (that I don't remember exactly now, sorry), for this release we bundled the same OpenVPN 2.4.8 you can find right now here: https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ , OpenVPN Inc. linked against OpenSSL 1.1.0l.
As soon as possible we will return on this issue and try to compile with 1.1.1 branch.

13 hours ago, Fly AirVPN said:

Win10 64 bit Home. Had problem with 2.18.7 install over 2.18.6 because of elevation service

23 hours ago, Chino said:
Try stopping all processes starting with "eddie" via Task Manager before installing.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, monstrocity said:
Right click on eddie-ui_2.18.7_windows-10_x64_installer.exe --> Install as Administrator

On 1/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, korsko said:

Can´t install the new beta on windows10. There´s some error with "evelation" during installation so that I can just abort the process. Anything I can do?

There was a bug in Windows Installer. We just fixed the current 2.18.7 Windows Installer to avoid this kind of issue for new beta users. Thanks to all for the report.

5 hours ago, bob1324 said:

Win10 64 bit Pro. I had to delete the elevation service with command line SC DELETE EddieElevationService (as an administrator).

Do you still have this problem? "Driver installation failed" isn't related to the elevation service. 

2 hours ago, Clodo said:
7 hours ago, bob1324 said:

Do you still have this problem? "Driver installation failed" isn't related to the elevation service. 

I know they are 2 different problems.
I added error log for Driver installation failed

Eddie error.txt

Posted ... (edited)
On 1/31/2020 at 7:24 AM, dedo299 said:

Running MacOS Mojave 12.14.6 on a 5,1 Mac Pro I finally got the Hummingbird option to work without crashing by cloning Eddie settings from my MacbookPro  (same operating system and Mojave version). However, after a couple hours this popped up on the menubar window tab display:  Hummingbird>ERROR:N_KEV_EXPIRE. Also, in the "Stats" tab I'm unable to update the pinger stats; double clicking does nothing. The server connection seems unaffected, however. I looked in the logs tab and saw a lot of Humminbird activity but nothing that looked weird.

I'm having the same error message (and some more) on Mojave with Hummingbird option activated within Eddie.

Edit: It seems incoming connections were blocked by Little Snitch. Once allowed I didn't have any new error messages for many hours. Edited ... by htpc

On 1/31/2020 at 8:08 PM, bob1324 said:

I know they are 2 different problems.
I added error log for Driver installation failed

Please go to your "C:\Program Files\AirVPN" and manually launch tap-windows.exe. Maybe it will give you/us some more information about the problem, thanks.

20 hours ago, Clodo said:

Please go to your "C:\Program Files\AirVPN" and manually launch tap-windows.exe. Maybe it will give you/us some more information about the problem, thanks.
I have added the log file.
I have tried Wireguard and have the strange feeling this gave the problems.
Maybe this helps.

eddie_2020-02-03.log

On 1/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, EtV said:

MacOS:  Catalina (10.15.3)
Eddie:  2.18.7

After updating from 2.18.6 to the new 2.18.7 Eddie, I was prompted to enter my password for privilege elevation the next time I restarted Eddie.  This happened despite having the Preference set for installing the Launchd daemon (that box was still checked, as it had been in the prior betas).  I believe this happened when going from .5 to .6 as well, actually...apologies for not reporting then.

To resolve, I followed the instructions for MacOS in this part of the thread again:

After removing the daemon and re-enabling the Preference, Eddies now starts without prompting for a password to elevate privileges, as expected.  Might there be a way going forward to avoid the manual intervention of removing the prior iteration of the daemon as part of each upgrade?

Manjaro, multiple DE's
Eddie: 2.18.7

Since updating to 2.18.7 via AUR, I'm also being prompted to enter my password at boot.  I tried disabling and re-enabling the Systemd service, but the issue persists.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, Clodo said:
On 1/19/2020 at 3:35 PM, colorman said:

I also tried this, indeed had to give root rights to hummingbird binary.
Eddie does work, but the ui still has the problem that it is no longer readable, that is the old problem.
So work again via the console .....
openSUSE 15.1

I tested the latest version with openSUSE 15.1, i don't understand the issue. Please report details or screenshot about the "no longer readable" issue, thanks
What are you using?
Gnome or KDE?
I think it's a KDE thing.

This happens after minimizing screen and maximizing screen again.

KDE – Plasma 5.12.8

KDE-Frameworks 5.55.0

QT version 5.9.7

Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default

Screenshot_20200204_150040.png

On 2/3/2020 at 12:08 PM, bob1324 said:
I have added the log file.
I have tried Wireguard and have the strange feeling this gave the problems.
Maybe this helps.

eddie_2020-02-03.log 18.65 kB · 5 downloads

You report Eddie log. Please go to your "C:\Program Files\AirVPN" and manually launch tap-windows.exe. It's not related to Eddie, it's the standard OpenVPN Windows Tun. Please report what kind of error is given back.
Maybe Wireguard causes some kind of conflict, but I don't really think that (I have Wireguard installed too). I need the tap-windows.exe feedback to help you.
Thanks

On 2/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, adreampuppet said:
Manjaro, multiple DE's
Eddie: 2.18.7

Since updating to 2.18.7 via AUR, I'm also being prompted to enter my password at boot.  I tried disabling and re-enabling the Systemd service, but the issue persists.

I'm investigating this. In the meantime, please try to disable Systemd service, close Eddie, restart Eddie and re-enable Systemd, close Eddie, finally restart to check if the elevation password is asked. Thanks.

23 hours ago, colorman said:
What are you using?
Gnome or KDE?
I think it's a KDE thing.

This happens after minimizing screen and maximizing screen again.

KDE – Plasma 5.12.8

KDE-Frameworks 5.55.0

QT version 5.9.7

Kernel 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default

Screenshot_20200204_150040.png

We encounter this issue on some Ubuntu, bug fixed in 2.18.7 (latest version, some days ago).

Anyway i'm installing just now a OpenSUSE 15.1 with KDE Plasma to check your issue. Thx for your feedback.
Edit: cannot reproduce, I still think it is fixed in 2.18.7. Do you have the latest version? Thanks

59 minutes ago, Clodo said:

I'm investigating this. In the mean-time, please try to disable Systemd service, close Eddie, restart Eddie and renable Systemd, close Eddie, finally restart to check if ask the elevation password. Thanks.

Same issue here, running Arch Linux. Can you post complete instructions with regards to the service? It's not in the first post of this thread, nor the Eddie website, nor in the AUR package. Which makes it rather difficult if instructions are spread about in different threads, or posts.

Another thing I noticed are the frequent crashes, usually after running for one day Eddie crashes at some point without being able to reconnect. I'll try to post the error message next time it happens.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, Clodo said:

We encounter this issue on some Ubuntu, bug fixed in 2.18.7 (latest version, some days ago).

Anyway i'm installing just now a OpenSUSE 15.1 with KDE Plasma to check your issue. Thx for your feedback.
Edit: cannot reproduce, I still think it is fixed in 2.18.7. Do you have the latest version? Thanks
update to 2.18.7 and it is not solved with me.

strange that you don't have it, have already tried Tumbleweed and a fresh 15.1 installation, nothing helps?
maybe it has with the video driver, through the processor I have 4x Intel Core i3-4370
still have a Tumbleweed run via virtualbox on my windows computer, will look there again.
edit:okay, tested on windows / virtualbox / tumbleweed, same problem

note: it all started after the eddie 2.13.6 version, no problem with eddie before that.

just go through a terminal with Hummingbird for now :)

GJ

3 hours ago, Clodo said:

I'm investigating this. In the meantime, please try to disable Systemd service, close Eddie, restart Eddie and re-enable Systemd, close Eddie, finally restart to check if the elevation password is asked. Thanks.
Thanks for your response.  I performed the actions you requested.  After re-enabling Systemd and restarting Eddie a second time, I'm still prompted for a password.  This is on Gnome.  I'll try it on a couple other DE's and if I get a different outcome, I'll note it here.

22 hours ago, JpvEXonHrB said:

Same issue here, running Arch Linux. Can you post complete instructions with regards to the service? It's not in the first post of this thread, nor the Eddie website, nor in the AUR package. Which makes it rather difficult if instructions are spread about in different threads, or posts.

Another thing I noticed are the frequent crashes, usually after running for one day Eddie crashes at some point without being able to reconnect. I'll try to post the error message next time it happens.

I don't have a link to the original instructions, but I saved them as a document for future reference.  Here they are:

(edit: instructions removed by Clodo, not valid anymore)

19 hours ago, adreampuppet said:

I don't have a link to the original instructions, but I saved them as a document for future reference.  Here they are:

Sorry I need to remove your instructions, because they are based on tests, not valid anymore and create only confusion.
The only and right method is by using Eddie Preferences checkbox. If it doesn't work, it will be fixed when we understand the issue, please have patience.

50 minutes ago, Clodo said:

Sorry I need to remove your instructions, because they are based on tests, not valid anymore and create only confusion.
The only and right method is by using Eddie Preferences checkbox. If it doesn't work, it will be fixed when we understand the issue, please have patience.
Fair enough.  Thanks for all the work you're putting into this.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, colorman said:
update to 2.18.7 and it is not solved with me.

strange that you don't have it, have already tried Tumbleweed and a fresh 15.1 installation, nothing helps?
maybe it has with the video driver, through the processor I have 4x Intel Core i3-4370
still have a Tumbleweed run via virtualbox on my windows computer, will look there again.
edit:okay, tested on windows / virtualbox / tumbleweed, same problem

note: it all started after the eddie 2.13.6 version, no problem with eddie before that.

just go through a terminal with Hummingbird for now :)

I have done a clean installation openSUSE 15.1, and now no problems with Eddie the 2nd day. However, if Eddie is active on your screen, my start menu does not work, it does minimize!
So Eddie does something strange.
Isn't it strange that things are going better now, have clean installations been done before?

3 times today:

Hummingbird > ERROR: KEV_NEGOTIATE_ERROR
Hummingbird > ERROR: HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT
Hummingbird > ERROR: CC_ERROR

On 10/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, Clodo said:
Issues confirmed, thx, will be fixed in the next release.
You can write to us the output of 

uname -m
on raspbian buster? thx.

p.s. if you don't have the UI, why you use "eddie-ui -cli" and not direct "eddie-cli" package? Just curiosity, it's equivalent (or need to be, bugs apart)

Hi, some months and two versions have been released since you told me the problem would be solved in the next realease and I'm always stucked with the same problem. 
Is there a particular reason ? Can I expect a resolution ?

On 1/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, Clodo said:

You are right, we know the cause. No manual intervention will be required in future, this will be fixed before the next release. Thx.

Just replying to a semi random AirVPN Team post here to remind you that you all are on the right side of History.

This is important work you are doing, and it seems that you are working hard at it.

Respect.