Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.212.5
Staff

Eddie Desktop 2.18beta released

Hello!

We're very glad to inform you that a new Eddie Air client version has been released: 2.18beta. It is ready for public beta testing.

How to test our experimental release:

• Go to download page of your OS
  • Click on Other versions

client-experimental-howto-1.png

• Click on Experimental

client-experimental-howto-2.png

• Look at the changelog if you wish
  • Download and install

Please see the changelog:

https://eddie.website/changelog/?software=client&format=html

In this release, we changed all source code from the ground up, to separate what needs superuser privileges and what not.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS AS A BETA VERSION.
Don't use it for real connection, it's only for those who want to collaborate to the project as beta-tester.

We hope to raise now the frequency of feedback replies here and Eddie releases.

Hello!

This is excellent news. 

But you added an unusual warning at the end, which seems unusual. Wondering if it'll spread more FUD than necessary and perhaps not get you the same amount of feedback, in return.

Anyway, it's working for me so far. The only minor errors, are UI texts. Not bad Staff :). 

Here's the changes, for anyone who doesn't want to follow the links: 

• [change] Core Engine partially rewritten
  • [new] UI doesn't run as root anymore in every OS
  • [new] Profile data encryption in any OS, either through OS keychain if available or "master" password
  • [bugfix] Linux - DNS resolv.conf issue
  • [change] New formula to compute "best server"
  • [bugfix] Windows - Windows10 SSH
  • [new] No log for inconsistent cipher or keysize directives when used with custom Data Channel cipher
  • [bugfix] Linux - Flush DNS with systemd-resolve
  • [change] Linux - Better performance when netlock is activated at application start
  • [change] Windows - Tun driver updated to 9.23.3
  • [change] OpenVPN 2.4.7
  • [change] Removed TOS window.
  • [removed] Linux - resolvconf DNS switch method
  • [removed] Unsecure OpenVPN directives
  • [new] binaries run with root privileges must belong to superuser

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

38 minutes ago, LZ1 said:

Anyway, it's working for me so far. The only minor errors, are UI texts. Not bad Staff :). 

Here's the changes, for anyone who doesn't want to follow the links: 

Hi!

Please feel free to be specific on those texts: fixing errors is the main purpose of beta testing!

Kind regards

It works great for me so far on my Ubuntu 19.04 machines.  My Windows10 machine not so well: after installing it and opening it, it was unable to connect to a server, but wouldn't let me close it, either.  After a reboot it worked better, although it threw an error at me when I was closing it (but still closed).

"Please feel free to be specific on those texts: fixing errors is the main purpose of beta testing!"

Okay, then.  The Public Exit IP addresses, with IPv4 above IPv6 on the Overview screen, don't quite fit into the space allocated (on Ubuntu; I didn't notice with Windows): the IPv6 address is sort of cut off on the bottom.  Otherwise, great!

Posted ... (edited)

Network lock doesn't work for me (Ubuntu 19.04. Disco Dingo).

I have IPv6 disabled system-wide ( Grub: IPv6.disable = 1 ). When i try to activate Network lock, Eddie throws this error:

F 2019.09.11 17:26:30 - Exception: ip6tables-save v1.6.1: Cannot initialize: Address family not supported by protocol

Regards

BB

Edited ... by BlueBanana
typo

AMD Ryzen 3950X @ 105W PPL

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

New beta, nice!  Some small-ish things at first blush....

Eddie beta: 2.18.1

Notifications:  In Preferences>UI, the "System notifications" box is check by default, and while there is a banner that pops up saying "1 new notification" from Eddie, no actual system notifications are showing up in the Notifications area of the sidebar.  I don't usually keep this enabled (personal preference), but I did notice the behavior when I first installed the new beta.

Show/Hide Main Window (in Eddie menu bar drop-down):  I think this has been around a while, but it's definitely present in the beta so...after closing the Main window of Eddie, the drop-down in the menu bar will often list "Hide Main Window" as the option, instead of "Show Main Window".  Selecting this "Hide..." option will indeed bring up the Main window.  So, the functionality isn't 'broken' by any means, but the drop-down seems to lose track of Hide vs. Show.

Preferences>Protocols:  more of a question, perhaps...I see the default listing is now in a different order, with the TLS-Crypt options first (yay!), so does that mean if we leave the "Automatic" box checked, Eddie will try to connect with TLC-Crypt over UDP first?   That's been something I've selected in prior Eddies, so just wondering at the default behavior now.

Preference>General:  is the "Profile data protection" option new?  If so, is there going to be a blurb on the options for that somewhere once this Eddies goes final?  Interesting option, just a but curious about it.

Preferences>Advanced:  I recall changing buffer sizes in the past (on good recommendation from folks here in the forum)...is that still needed to keep Eddie happy?  Or have the many under-the-hood changes allowed for the default "Automatic" value to do the job these days?

Preference>Advanced: I run Eddie on a laptop (and on a few different Wifi nets), and I'm noticing that I'm not getting IPv6 connections like I used to on the network I'm currently on today.  At this location, IPLeak.net would regularly show me both v4 and a v6, while with the new Eddie a few difference connections (different servers) have mostly not shown me the v6.  Admittedly, I don't use that much / at all, however it is a change in behavior that I've noticed, fwiw.

On Windows 10, I'm no longer able to resize the UI by dragging the arrows.

Also, is it possible to start Eddie with Network Lock protection without inputting the password?

Also, can I block internet access by default on Windows until Eddie connects to a server (I.E a network lock by default?), if so, how would I do this?

45 minutes ago, BlueBanana said:

Network lock doesn't work for me (Ubuntu 19.04. Disco Dingo).

I have IPv6 disabled system-wide ( Grub: IPv6.disable = 1 ). When i try to activate Network lock, Eddie throws this error:

F 2019.09.11 17:26:30 - Exception: ip6tables-save v1.6.1: Cannot initialize: Address family not supported by protocol

Regards

BB

Confirmed: it manage the deactivation with sysctl, but not detect the deactivation via Grub.
Will be fixed in next release, expected in few days (based on other feedbacks).
In the mean-time if you want, disable ALSO with sysctl (net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1) to bypass the issue above.
Thanks

33 minutes ago, Clodo said:

Confirmed: it manage the deactivation with sysctl, but not detect the deactivation via Grub.
Will be fixed in next release, expected in few days (based on other feedbacks).
In the mean-time if you want, disable ALSO with sysctl (net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1) to bypass the issue above.
Thanks
Changing sysctl.conf the way you suggested works!

But i have to change ipv6_disable in GRUB to "0" again, otherwise the error occurs.

Regards

BB

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

I can't connect due to the following.

Note: Username has a space in it. <line edited>

. 2019.09.11 17:52:30 - Eddie version: 2.18.1beta / windows_x64, System: Windows, Name: Windows 10 Pro, Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18362.0, Mono/.Net: v4.0.30319
. 2019.09.11 17:52:30 - Command line arguments (1): path="home"
. 2019.09.11 17:52:30 - Profile path: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Eddie\default.profile
. 2019.09.11 17:52:30 - Reading options from C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Eddie\default.profile
. 2019.09.11 17:52:33 - OpenVPN Driver - TAP-Windows Adapter V9, version 9.23.3
. 2019.09.11 17:52:33 - OpenVPN - Version: 2.4.7 - OpenSSL 1.1.0j  20 Nov 2018, LZO 2.10 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\openvpn.exe)
. 2019.09.11 17:52:33 - SSH - Version: plink 0.67 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\plink.exe)
. 2019.09.11 17:52:33 - SSL - Version: stunnel 5.40 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\stunnel.exe)
. 2019.09.11 17:52:33 - curl - Version: 7.54.1 (C:\Program Files\AirVPN\curl.exe)
. 2019.09.11 17:52:33 - Certification Authorities: C:\Program Files\AirVPN\res\cacert.pem
I 2019.09.11 17:52:35 - Ready
. 2019.09.11 17:52:35 - Collect information about AirVPN completed
I 2019.09.11 17:52:42 - Session starting.
I 2019.09.11 17:52:47 - Checking authorization ...
! 2019.09.11 17:52:47 - Connecting to Aljanah (Netherlands, Alblasserdam)
W 2019.09.11 17:52:48 - OpenVPN > Options error: I'm trying to parse "C:\Users\<user name>" as an --option parameter but I don't see a leading '--'
! 2019.09.11 17:52:48 - Disconnecting
. 2019.09.11 17:52:48 - Connection terminated.
I 2019.09.11 17:52:51 - Checking authorization ...
! 2019.09.11 17:52:51 - Connecting to Capella (Netherlands, Alblasserdam)
W 2019.09.11 17:52:51 - OpenVPN > Options error: I'm trying to parse "C:\Users\<user name>" as an --option parameter but I don't see a leading '--'
! 2019.09.11 17:52:51 - Disconnecting
. 2019.09.11 17:52:51 - Connection terminated.
I 2019.09.11 17:52:54 - Checking authorization ...
! 2019.09.11 17:52:54 - Connecting to Edasich (Netherlands, Alblasserdam)
W 2019.09.11 17:52:54 - OpenVPN > Options error: I'm trying to parse "C:\Users\<user name>" as an --option parameter but I don't see a leading '--'
! 2019.09.11 17:52:54 - Disconnecting
. 2019.09.11 17:52:54 - Connection terminated.
I 2019.09.11 17:52:57 - Cancel requested.
! 2019.09.11 17:52:57 - Session terminated.

I cannot get the new beta version to run in my Arch Linux. There seems to be a problem with getting elevated privileges. The main program window opens with the message about the elevated privileges in the bottom right corner but then nothing else happens. No output in the console. Am I missing something here?

Network Lock does Not work on macOS 10.15 Beta (19A558d), 'Exception Rules not loaded' occurs every time. 

5 hours ago, EtV said:

New beta, nice!  Some small-ish things at first blush....

I will check every points soon, thanks.
3 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I can't connect due to the following. 
Note: Username has a space in it. <line edited>

Confirmed, fixed in next release, expected in 1 or 2 days.
3 hours ago, radolkin said:

I cannot get the new beta version to run in my Arch Linux. There seems to be a problem with getting elevated privileges. The main program window opens with the message about the elevated privileges in the bottom right corner but then nothing else happens. No output in the console. Am I missing something here?

Confirmed, fixed in next release, also with a dedicated .xz package file for Arch.
1 hour ago, Keksjdjdke said:

Network Lock does Not work on macOS 10.15 Beta (19A558d), 'Exception Rules not loaded' occurs every time. 

Thanks, i will check this.

So far so good on Mac OS 10.14.6.. Dig the 'dark mode' look. 

Question about the 'UI doesn't run as root anymore'.. This is just the UI correct?? We should still be getting the prompt when we start Eddie right? 
Went ahead and checked the option to install the launchd so Ill let ya know how that works next time I have to reboot and Eddie does its thing when I login..

Posted ... (edited)

Okay... after a day of testing, everything is working as it should, apart from the IPv6 issue i mentioned above.

Good work! ❤️

Regards

BB

Edited ... by BlueBanana
addendum

AMD RX 5700 XT

Corsair DDR4-3200 32GB

Version 2.18.2 beta (Thu, 12 Sep 2019 15:59:45 +0000)

• [change] Linux - FIxed a Lintian error on some distributions
  • [bugfix] Linux - Netlock issue if IPv6 is disabled via GRUB ('Address family not supported by protocol' error)
  • [bugfix] Linux - Sometimes Eddie doesn't close
  • [bugfix] Linux - Arch issue with elevation, also restored .xz packages
  • [bugfix] Windows - Issues with username with spaces
  • [bugfix] macOS - Dump PF output and file in logs in case of failure
  • [change] macOS - Notifications, better layout with icons
  • [change] Added Boost in Libraries
  • [bugfix] Minor UI changes

On 9/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, Grindle222 said:

It works great for me so far on my Ubuntu 19.04 machines.  My Windows10 machine not so well: after installing it and opening it, it was unable to connect to a server, but wouldn't let me close it, either.  After a reboot it worked better, although it threw an error at me when I was closing it (but still closed).

Please report something: message error, log...

On 9/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, Grindle222 said:

Okay, then.  The Public Exit IP addresses, with IPv4 above IPv6 on the Overview screen, don't quite fit into the space allocated (on Ubuntu; I didn't notice with Windows): the IPv6 address is sort of cut off on the bottom.  Otherwise, great!

Fixed in 2.18.2.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:30 PM, BlueBanana said:

Fixed in 2.18.2. In any combination of IPv6 disable: sysctl or grub.

23 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I can't connect due to the following. Note: Username has a space in it. <line edited>

Fixed in 2.18.2

On 9/11/2019 at 5:34 PM, EtV said:

Notifications:  In Preferences>UI, the "System notifications" box is check by default, and while there is a banner that pops up saying "1 new notification" from Eddie, no actual system notifications are showing up in the Notifications area of the sidebar.  I don't usually keep this enabled (personal preference), but I did notice the behavior when I first installed the new beta.

Cannot reproduce. In 2.18.2 we also improved some layout, but in any test System notifications are showed, in our Notifications area of the sidebar too. Please recheck.

Show/Hide Main Window (in Eddie menu bar drop-down):  I think this has been around a while, but it's definitely present in the beta so...after closing the Main window of Eddie, the drop-down in the menu bar will often list "Hide Main Window" as the option, instead of "Show Main Window".  Selecting this "Hide..." option will indeed bring up the Main window.  So, the functionality isn't 'broken' by any means, but the drop-down seems to lose track of Hide vs. Show.

Cannot reproduce. Sometimes, if you close the window with the X button, menu takes some seconds to update, but works coherently. If we use the minimize button, it looks always fine. Please recheck.

Preferences>Protocols:  more of a question, perhaps...I see the default listing is now in a different order, with the TLS-Crypt options first (yay!), so does that mean if we leave the "Automatic" box checked, Eddie will try to connect with TLC-Crypt over UDP first?   That's been something I've selected in prior Eddies, so just wondering at the default behavior now.

Quick: Yes, now it's default.

Preference>General:  is the "Profile data protection" option new?  If so, is there going to be a blurb on the options for that somewhere once this Eddies goes final?  Interesting option, just a but curious about it.

Yes: Profile file (~/.config/eddie/default.profile) now can be encrypted with OS keyring or a custom master password.

Preferences>Advanced:  I recall changing buffer sizes in the past (on good recommendation from folks here in the forum)...is that still needed to keep Eddie happy?  Or have the many under-the-hood changes allowed for the default "Automatic" value to do the job these days?

I don't remember the specific forum topic, I think you can try Automatic.

Preference>Advanced: I run Eddie on a laptop (and on a few different Wifi nets), and I'm noticing that I'm not getting IPv6 connections like I used to on the network I'm currently on today.  At this location, IPLeak.net would regularly show me both v4 and a v6, while with the new Eddie a few difference connections (different servers) have mostly not shown me the v6.  Admittedly, I don't use that much / at all, however it is a change in behavior that I've noticed, fwiw.

This need more investigation. Please report OS of the laptop, connection info (what servers) etc.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:51 PM, airnoob said:

On Windows 10, I'm no longer able to resize the UI by dragging the arrows.

Also, is it possible to start Eddie with Network Lock protection without inputting the password?

Also, can I block internet access by default on Windows until Eddie connects to a server (I.E a network lock by default?), if so, how would I do this?

Windows resize: Cannot reproduce. Please recheck. Does anyone else have this issue?
Yes, if you use the installer, it's automatic. Otherwise check in Preferences the installation of the service, to avoid password input every time.
In Preferences you can enable Network Lock at startup.

22 hours ago, radolkin said:

Absolutely, there was a bug.
Fixed in 2.18.2.
Please download the .xz edition for Arch, install with  "pacman -U xxx.xz".  Official AUR repo will be updated soon, for this beta stage download manually from Download page.

20 hours ago, Keksjdjdke said:

This is IMPORTANT.
We cannot reproduce the issue on our labs, on "10.15 Beta (19A4871) - macOS Catalina".
We added some logs lines to identify the issues.
If the problem occurs again with 2.18.2, please open a ticket with the full support log (Logs -> Support icon).
Thanks.

9 hours ago, Monotremata said:

So far so good on Mac OS 10.14.6.. Dig the 'dark mode' look. 

Question about the 'UI doesn't run as root anymore'.. This is just the UI correct?? We should still be getting the prompt when we start Eddie right? 
Went ahead and checked the option to install the launchd so Ill let ya know how that works next time I have to reboot and Eddie does its thing when I login..

Correct, now UI is totally separated from an executable/daemon (launchd) that performs elevated actions.
With launchd daemon, it's not expected anymore the prompt every time.
Please report any issue.

A few remarks (Windows 10 Pro):

a) Activation of network lock in the main window does not connect. After "checking route IPv6" there is a "disconnect" and the problem repeats. This also happens in 2.16.3 and 2.18.1. Solution is to disable network lock in the main window, but enable network lock at startup and reboot the PC after first connect.

b) Uninstall of Eddie gives an error. Rebooting gives a second error (see screenshots). Reinstalling Eddie is after this not possible anymore

unexpected.jpg

OPSTART.jpg

I can no longer find a portable version of Eddie for Linux to download...

I see only these choices:
[Linux]
[64bit] [32bit] [ARM]
[Deban/Ubuntu] [OpenSUSE] [Fedora] [Archlinux]
[Graphical UI]
[Download]

I really need a portable version.

2.18.2 installs but when trying to open Eddie I get this error message after which Eddie closes:

Unable to obtain from OS password required to unlock the profile.

Trying to open as Administrator produces same result.

No problems using 2.16.3

Win 10 1809

9 hours ago, debu said:

2.18.2 installs but when trying to open Eddie I get this error message after which Eddie closes:

Unable to obtain from OS password required to unlock the profile.

Trying to open as Administrator produces same result.

No problems using 2.16.3

Win 10 1809

Use in "Profile Data Protection" the option "plain, no password asked".

14 hours ago, Gaechka said:

I can no longer find a portable version of Eddie for Linux to download...

I see only these choices:
[Linux]
[64bit] [32bit] [ARM]
[Deban/Ubuntu] [OpenSUSE] [Fedora] [Archlinux]
[Graphical UI]
[Download]

I really need a portable version.

Can i ask why you need a portable version? What linux distro you use? Thanks

on openSUSE 15.1 with eddie 2.18.2, just  a crash, nothing could be done with eddie anymore.
could only find this in the log;

Received signal SIGHUP
! 2019.09.13 16:38:06 - Disconnecting
F 2019.09.13 16:38:06 - Unexpected crash of elevated helper:Elevated communication closed

edit, and this
** (eddie-tray:5741): WARNING **: Invalid borders specified for theme pixmap:
        /usr/share/themes/Breeze/gtk-2.0/../assets/line-h.png,
borders don't fit within the image

more;

F 2019.09.13 17:06:38 - Unexpected error. Please contact our support staff. - ApplicationThread - Object reference not set to an instance of an object -   at Eddie.Forms.Forms.Settings.OnLoad (System.EventArgs e) [0x00494] in <8ffaac2cbc914bf78635113d27ef1091>:0
F 2019.09.13 17:06:38 -     at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoadInternal (System.EventArgs e) [0x00023] in <64229ce348bf414baa325904e6b85bb9>:0

5 hours ago, Clodo said:

Can i ask why you need a portable version? What linux distro you use? Thanks

I want to have Eddie always with me on an encrypted flash drive. And maybe this can be sound paranoic, but I don't want it to be installed system-wide and be easy to discovered. There are countries where they can come for everyone just because they want to, and you want to protect yourself just in case ;) I'm using Debian Stretch. Anyways, aren't portable apps popular for many reasons these days, along with flatpaks, appimages and etc.?