Not connected, Your IP: 3.93.59.171
tuttiface

ANSWERED Cannot login to Eddie, or access airvpn.org

I received an email early this morning to try again and see if all are working. I just tried all my devices and indeed they are all working fine now. 

Hello!

At this stage we can say that the cause of this specific problem was essentially a ban against IP addresses, a ban which extended on all of our infrastructure to defend Air against attacks. To be banned an IP address has to fail several login attempts in a row in a short time.

As the whole matter involved at least 40 persons, probably some more, who did not change IP address in the last days, we can't say how it's possible that their IP addresses were all banned. We are searching for flaws in our anti-flood system. It is the same system that has been working fine with no modifications in the last 18-20 months so if there's some bug it's really well hidden and comes out so rarely. Even if it's a bug, why it did not affect, say 1000, 5000 or 20000 or ALL users, but just a tiny tiny fraction?

While a few cases might be explained by infected machines, when the owner is not even aware that the system performs attacks, we can't realistically assume that all of a sudden the machines of more than 40 users were infected all in the last 2-3 days, and all infected with the same peculiar malware which attacked AirVPN (too or exclusively).

We will keep you posted if we find anything relevant. In the meantime please keep reporting whether everything is fine or the problem comes back.

Kind regards

Thanks for the update. Consistent with being able to connect via cell service & indirectly through a (different, obviously) VPN, & consistent also with Frontier's denial of blocking. Perhaps fixed for me this AM because of a hard Frontier router reset late last night which may have generated a different IP for me, or did you perhaps white-list me?

Certainly no known " fail several login attempts in a row in a short time " here. Hacked router here, evil web page visited? Don't know.

Hello, eddie, and airvpn websites have returned to normal functionality for me, i hope everyone else is the same. Thanks airvpn staff.

2 hours ago, willee_wonkee said:

Thanks for the update. Consistent with being able to connect via cell service & indirectly through a (different, obviously) VPN, & consistent also with Frontier's denial of blocking. Perhaps fixed for me this AM because of a hard Frontier router reset late last night which may have generated a different IP for me, or did you perhaps white-list me?

Certainly no known " fail several login attempts in a row in a short time " here. Hacked router here, evil web page visited? Don't know.

I had done hard router resets several times, generating new IP addresses. That was not what solved your problem.  

If I had to speculate, the blocking happened not at the individual IP address but somewhere along the way. With all the protests going on, perhaps a state actor was involved and a number of users got caught up in it.   

On 8/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, Staff said:

While a few cases might be explained by infected machines, when the owner is not even aware that the system performs attacks, we can't realistically assume that all of a sudden the machines of more than 40 users were infected all in the last 2-3 days, and all infected with the same peculiar malware which attacked AirVPN (too or exclusively).

As observed using only Windows Defender is not able to protect them. It's "garbage".
"Sleeping attacks/bugs" are well known, not just for Windows OS.
If that "peculiar malware" that you mention was triggered and is source-found to have occurred from the "40 infected" then you'll have your answer.
Maybe this will open their eyes. and now get to "configure/craft/tailor" their Windows OS machines properly.

1 hour ago, bunnbunn said:

I've been experiencing this issue last night and today.  Attached is a copy of the log.

AirVPN_20200424_130035.txt 10.93 kB · 1 download

You, sir or madam, should update Eddie first. v2.10.x is ancient.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.