Jump to content
Not connected, Your IP: 3.93.75.30
airnoob

Has Air given up on Eddie for desktop?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, airnoob said:

schwabe explained what was required to get the code merged upstream, you decided to close the PR as can be seen here. This would be the same if you were submitting a patch to the kernel, subsystem maintainers have requirements and they themselves have requirements to get it merged in the next release branch by Linus or Greg for stable.

So as it turns out, he told you what needs be done and you refused. Whether his requirements are suitable is not for discussion since it's not your project. You may have requirements for PR's on Eddie branches as most OSS does. You need to comply or you can just maintain your own fork which is worse for the community as a whole.

To be clear, you may see this as "see, this guy is stopping us!" but instead it's "hey, we didn't comply with the requirements of this software to get our PR merged".

Hello!

We will not lower our OpenVPN 3 standards for his requirements. We have handed a clearly superior, under every respect, source code on a silver platter to the community and to OpenVPN Tech., authorizing the company to even use it in any way they like for their own business purposes, and all they could require in the end was related to lower the source code style (because it's compliant to the art of programming) and disclose the identity of AirVPN personnel.

We are not claiming "they are stopping us", although you need to note that in the first cycle, when even the most absurd requirement was met, Schwabe came out with a new one, in an endless loop. He never came out with all requirements together, he kept posting new ones after the previous one was resolved. A strategy worth to be noted.

We are claiming that we have no time to waste and that it is unfair to force us to lower programming standards. Any average developer can see that our commits are on a very high level. If we do a favor to OpenVPN Tech., it's their right to refuse it, but it's not anybody's right to ask us to spend more time to try to force the beneficiary to accept the favor.

So the result is that now AirVPN users are happily using ChaCha20 on OpenVPN Data Channel with OpenVPN 3 library in Android, enjoying a battery life that's 100% longer and a 30% or higher performance boost, while OpenVPN main branch has remained obsolete, without ChaCha20 support, without the new class supporting any AEAD cipher future implementation, and risks to be wiped out by Wireguard similarly to how Apache was by Nginx.

Send your complaints to Schwabe or OpenVPN Tech. please, not to us.

Kind regards
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, Staff said:

Sorry but what does it have to do with Eddie? Eddie will run the OpenVPN binary you tell it to run.

Kind regards
 
What do i have to download from the OpenVPN website and where do i have to put the files to use the latest version?

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2019 at 4:51 PM, Clodo said:

I hope we can release the new 2.x version as soon as possible.
I hope I can give you a date in a few days.


We are testing and fixing bugs, but I assure you that my team (including myself) is working full time on Eddie.
We hope to release a public beta version during the first days of September.

Share this post


Link to post

Is this next public beta another beta update to the most recent (beta) release from last year, or is it a beta of the long-awaited native GTK-based version of Eddie?

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, encrypted said:

Is this next public beta another beta update to the most recent (beta) release from last year, or is it a beta of the long-awaited native GTK-based version of Eddie?

At the moment it's the 2.x series, still based on the same UI.
The 3.x series is under parallel development, will have an 'universal' UI (same in every OS, html/css based), the Linux edition based on GTK. We hope to release a first version of 3.x series before the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post

I've never really had issues with Eddie. 

I trust AirVPN and I am excited to see what they come up with in the long awaited next version! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, whiskey_76 said:

I've never really had issues with Eddie. 

I trust AirVPN and I am excited to see what they come up with in the long awaited next version! 

 

Yeah. me too. The only thing that bugs mit with the latest stable (2.16.3) is the "flushing DNS" issue. Eddie flushes the DNS cache upon connecting, and the whole procedure takes about a minute until the connection is finally established.

Thus, i set up my own firewall rules with ufw and i connect using the CLI and the openvpn command directly, using the files from the config generator.


(Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo)

Share this post


Link to post

@airnoob
I'm not sure what problem you are having running AirVPN with ubuntu 18.04 but i have been running version 2.16.3 with 18.04 since the release date with no issue at all, only thing as BlueBanana mentioned that "flushing DNS' take some time (up to minute, but not always) but eventually it connect and dont face any issue after that. 

i use AirVPN almost all the time while working on desktop (some time i use it on my android mobile) and have been user for 5 years now, i see there is delay on application side for desktop, but i prefer they take their time and develop something good than just rushing out small features just to satisfy some users needs to see frequent update, also since you are Ubuntu user i dont think you can always depend on application to work just plug-and-play, there will be almost all the time some user input needed to run application correctly on linux, and from what i see Airvpn way ahead compare to other vpn providers for linux such as NordVPN or expressvpn which both i tried for 2 month each recently (didnt renew my AirVPN subscription when its expired 3 month ago due how difficult to get a fast server from their list)  before i decided to go back to AirVPN because i had very difficult time manage both of them compare to AirVPN desktop app.

thanks,

Share this post


Link to post

macOS 10.15 Catalina will be released already maybe in a month or so and I'm planning to update my Macbook. Will the current macOS Port of Eddie be compatible with Catalina? I'm worried a bit since it's been almost a year without a new Eddie version ... 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, spinmaster said:

macOS 10.15 Catalina will be released already maybe in a month or so and I'm planning to update my Macbook. Will the current macOS Port of Eddie be compatible with Catalina? I'm worried a bit since it's been almost a year without a new Eddie version ... 


Hello!

Yes, we aim to Catalina compatibility with both Eddie and the new software based on OpenVPN3-AirVPN library. Stay tuned. :)

Kind regards
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/25/2019 at 12:14 PM, Clodo said:
At the moment it's the 2.x series, still based on the same UI.
The 3.x series is under parallel development, will have an 'universal' UI (same in every OS, html/css based), the Linux edition based on GTK. We hope to release a first version of 3.x series before the end of the year.

I guess the community would be much less irritated if there would be a status update like every two or four weeks or so regarding the new changes or development overall of the 3.x and 2.x clients.
Putting some screenshots of new functions/design or describing what you've archived in the last weeks or so would also definitely help understand the progress of the development. Heck maybe even
consider involving the community directly and let members vote in a poll how they like a change or a feature you are about to implement.
That would definitely be welcomed by the community and members wouldn't feel beieng let down and think that they are tapping in the dark.

That said, I really like and enjoy what you've accomplished with the development of the Android client so far. Really awesome work!
(By the way - is there any way to turn the "Master-Password" feature of the Android client off? Or will it be implemented sometimes in the future? Thanks x) )
Hope to hear from your further development soon.

Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post

The discussion about Eddie has become a real hot topic in the past weeks. And understandably so, given the fact that "Eddie" is a core element of the whole service and a highly sophicticated one too.

But i think that one has to consider the fact that AIR has to develop software for 4 OS'es (WIndows, Linux, Mac and Android) if i am not mistaken. That's a hell lot of work to do and it takes lots of time to develop a fully functioning client from scratch.

There are other VPN services out there that give a shit about their client, hell, they don't even have one for Linux, let alone for Mac OS X.

The community itself is a little "spoiled" in this regard, if i may say so.
I am a bit impatient too and i am awaiting the release of the new client quite eagerly. But it doesn't help much if the community puts pressure on the devs.

If they release the new client too early with a lot of bugs, then the community complains about a buggy client, and all hell breaks loose. So just let the devs make their job and i am confident that a new version is coming soon.


Regards,

BB

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, BlueBanana said:

The discussion about Eddie has become a real hot topic in the past weeks. And understandably so, given the fact that "Eddie" is a core element of the whole service and a highly sophicticated one too.

But i think that one has to consider the fact that AIR has to develop software for 4 OS'es (WIndows, Linux, Mac and Android) if i am not mistaken. That's a hell lot of work to do and it takes lots of time to develop a fully functioning client from scratch.

There are other VPN services out there that give a shit about their client, hell, they don't even have one for Linux, let alone for Mac OS X.

The community itself is a little "spoiled" in this regard, if i may say so.
I am a bit impatient too and i am awaiting the release of the new client quite eagerly. But it doesn't help much if the community puts pressure on the devs.

If they release the new client too early with a lot of bugs, then the community complains about a buggy client, and all hell breaks loose. So just let the devs make their job and i am confident that a new version is coming soon.


Regards,

BB


> That's a hell lot of work to do and it takes lots of time to develop a fully functioning client from scratch.

Correct, however, what does not take time is keeping the community up to date with progress. Still, to this day, Eddie 3 is "mythical" in the sense there's not a single screenshot to at least keep the community interested in progress. I care (obviously), but it's hard to work with nothing when the staff don't communicate.

> There are other VPN services out there that give a shit about their client, hell, they don't even have one for Linux, let alone for Mac OS X.

Correct, Air is above other providers, and I feel has a standard set that is very high, I don't want them to falter which they have done with the lack of updates to Eddie desktop.

> But it doesn't help much if the community puts pressure on the devs.

Oh, it absolutely does. What actually puts pressure is the bottom line; if Air was making less money/less subscriptions that can be correlated to lack of Eddie updates there becomes a financial motivation to actually update the client. However, you can interface with Air in many ways and Eddie whilst important still works on the key platforms that matter.

> If they release the new client too early with a lot of bugs, then the community complains about a buggy client, and all hell breaks loose.

Citation needed, please. Why do you think they have a BETA and the last BETA still didn't graduate from BETA since 1 year ago now?
 
On 8/23/2019 at 11:53 PM, Clodo said:

We are testing and fixing bugs, but I assure you that my team (including myself) is working full time on Eddie.
We hope to release a public beta version during the first days of September.

Eagerly awaiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote
@airnoob: Of course you are right with what you are saying. One year without an update of an important software is a no go. But at the end of the day, what can you do? You can switch to another provider; there are plenty on the market. That's for you to decide. I am not satisfied with the current situation either. V2.16.3 is now a year without update, you can consider it deprecated. I personally would pay 2 or 3 Euros more a month if i get an up-to-date software in return, that's for sure.

But i don't know if complaining expedites things in the end. Proof me wrong if it does.

Regards,

BB

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2019 at 4:56 PM, airnoob said:
Correct, however, what does not take time is keeping the community up to date with progress. Still, to this day, Eddie 3 is "mythical" in the sense there's not a single screenshot to at least keep the community interested in progress. I care (obviously), but it's hard to work with nothing when the staff don't communicate.

About Eddie 3.x : we are still working on that, but we can't give out right now 'screenshot', as the UI is in draft/debug stage, sorry.
Development of 3.x depends on some core-changes that we made directly in 2.x series in the latest months.


We have released a beta version of the new 2.X series here: 
Still under testing in different OS and configs due to a lots of internal changes.
We hope to improve the reactivity and feedback with this release, promote it as a stable version as soon as possible, and restart with frequent releases.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Security Check
    Play CAPTCHA Audio
    Refresh Image

×
×
  • Create New...