Not connected, Your IP: 54.162.130.75

Allow application through Eddie firewall

Having searched without success I'm wondering if someone here can help me out.

I have an application which is blocked when Eddie is connected, but when I disconnect Eddie the application launches without a problem. Is there a way to allow the application to launch whilst Eddie is running?

I know you need to know, I'm running the latest Eddie on Windows 10, yes I know what your thinking, I only use it occasionally when i need to as the application wont run on Linux. For day to day needs its Linux all the way.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance

Many have asked, I shall give you a negative answer as well. :D
You can do that on Eddie for Android because the VpnService API accepts a package name for such cases. On "full-featured" PC systems (Windows, macOS, Linux, *BSD, and others), packet filters only accept IP addresses, and there is no way for a firewall to know each and every IP address an application might use.. not on its own, anyway.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

18 hours ago, giganerd said:

Many have asked, I shall give you a negative answer as well. :D
You can do that on Eddie for Android because the VpnService API accepts a package name for such cases. On "full-featured" PC systems (Windows, macOS, Linux, *BSD, and others), packet filters only accept IP addresses, and there is no way for a firewall to know each and every IP address an application might use.. not on its own, anyway.

Hello!

Qomui for Linux allows traffic splitting on an application basis, through cgroups.

https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/26327-alternative-airvpn-client-with-provider-independent-double-hop-support-gnulinux/?do=findComment&comment=71685

Whether the feature is compatible with leaks prevention (of any traffic not to/from the "out of tunnel" processes) via firewall rules can be clarified by Corrado, Qomui author.

Kind regards

What good is a Linux client if OP needs Windows to execute that application, may I ask?

Thanks for the replies, in case your wondering it's Adobe CC that I'm trying to allow through Eddie's firewall. After much researching it seems impossible to run A CC on a Linux system, and as I need it for work I'll stick to using it on a dual boot Windows setup. I will just have to turn of Eddie occasionally to check for any updates there maybe.

1 hour ago, giganerd said:

What good is a Linux client if OP needs Windows to execute that application, may I ask?

Please feel free to ask. See below.

Thanks for the replies, in case your wondering it's Adobe CC that I'm trying to allow through Eddie's firewall. After much researching it seems impossible to run A CC on a Linux system, and as I need it for work I'll stick to using it on a dual boot Windows setup. I will just have to turn of Eddie occasionally to check for any updates there maybe.

You might run Adobe CC in the proper environment and have that environment in the proper cgroup (handled automatically by Qomui).

It's easy to run ACC in various Linux distributions, including Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora, but not in all of them. An idea: https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-adobe-creative-cloud-linux/

@giganerd
Also, even if OP could not run CC in his Linux distribution, reply was meant to clarify that traffic splitting on an application basis is also possible in Linux. Note that cgroups are Linux kernel specific, not available in FreeBSD and OpenBSD kernels. Once you have traffic splitting on an application basis, in several cases you don't need anymore a whole bridged VM to split traffic of specific apps.

Kind regards

46 minutes ago, minesabeer said:

After much researching it seems impossible to run A CC on a Linux system, and as I need it for work I'll stick to using it on a dual boot Windows setup.

Not completely impossible, but Wine seems to not even be able to install it as of 4.0.

17 minutes ago, Staff said:

It's easy to run CCC in various Linux distributions, including Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora, but not in all of them. An idea: https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-adobe-creative-cloud-linux/

No, Wine was never easy. Even the PlayOnLinux scripts are mostly outdated now and are not guaranteed to work with either the newer Wine versions, the newer program versions or both. You can always try, of course.

Let's meet in the middle somewhere: I think the better approach is a VM, using said cgroups which are configured by something like qomui. Maybe even some "magic" with virtual network interfaces/bridges, with some research.

@giganerd

Oh yes, if one needs to run Windows in a VM and have its traffic outside the host VPN tunnel, then the most logical and probably easiest approach is just using the VM in bridge mode, hands down.

In case a VM is not required, as perhaps it might be for Creative CC, then cgroups come handy. The purpose was to inform that traffic splitting on an application basis with OpenVPN is possible not only in Android but in Linux too, with the currently available applications that provide AirVPN integration.

Kind regards