ANSWERED Can't get my desired custom DNS addresses to take

Eddie 2.3b1 (VC21)
AirVPN Netherlands "country" config
Nvidia Shield TV (2017)

Settings:
VPN > Persistent Tunnel √
VPN > VPN Lock √
DNS > Use custom DNS √
DNS > Custom DNS > [entered my two desired IP addresses, separated by a comma, no space characters]
Advanced > Synchronous DNS lookup X
Advanced > Custom directives > block-outside-dns

Checking in Firefox with www.dnsleaktest.com, I get three vultr.com hits through Choopa, one in Netherlands, two in Greece, but not my desired DNS addresses.

How do I get my custom DNS addresses to work?

(By the way, aside from my problem, should those Greece DNS servers also be there when using the AirVPN Netherlands country config?)

Cannot confirm, or rather, can confirm it working as intended on Android 9, latest Eddie. Are you sure your custom DNS servers are not forwarding the requests to upstream servers? Because any DNS servers in the middle are not shown, for good reason.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I am trying to use the AdGuard DNS addresses:

Those are the only ones I've ever tried.

Hello!

We can't reproduce the issue... Please upgrade to Eddie 2.3, or 2.4 beta 1 and test again at your convenience. Also, do not enter custom directive "block-outside-dns": that's a directive implemented only on OpenVPN 2.3.x and higher version for Windows, which is a system with incomplete DNS implementation (lack of global DNS).

Kind regards

I get an UK and an US IPv6 out of ipleak.net, both are not the ones I entered, therefore, they have upstream servers configured which are shown when you view a DNS leak test. Not to worry, custom DNS works for you. :)

I just now re-installed from eddie.website/repository/eddie/android/2.3/org.airvpn.eddie.apk and sure enough, I got a newer Eddie version 2.3 (VC23). I removed custom directive "block-outside-dns" and re-connected. But in Firefox, www.dnsleaktest.com is still giving me:
95.179.141.192.vultr.com  Choopa, LLC  Greece
199.247.27.204.vultr.com  Choopa, LLC  Netherlands
95.179.179.184.vultr.com  Choopa, LLC  Greece

Now I'm getting conflicting advice: on the one hand, Staff says they can't reproduce my results (which I take to mean that Staff sees my AdGuard DNS address with www.dnsleaktest.com), but on the other hand, giganerd says that the AdGuard DNS must have upstream servers configured which are shown when I view my DNS leak test.

11 minutes ago, yepper said:
Staff says they can't reproduce my results (which I take to mean that Staff sees my AdGuard DNS address with www.dnsleaktest.com)

You got it slightly wrong. They can't reproduce the custom DNS feature not working properly, i.e., in the context of the application, and I can reproduce your results in the context of the DNS leak test results. We mean the same thing in the end, it's not bugged, which means it works as intended.

Confirmed [SOLVED].
I tried both with and without Use custom DNS, and my AdGuard DNS addresses are conclusively blocking ads in a known situation. So my custom DNS addresses are indeed using upstream servers that don't show up in my DNS leak test — false alarm!

A big thanks and tip o' the hat to giganerd and Staff!