Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.132.66
E S

ANSWERED Trying to install Eddie under Windows 10 local user

Hi.  Pardon the newb question but when I go to install Eddie in my local user account.. the install runs flawlessly but Eddie gets installed under the Administrator account instead.  There are no appearances of Eddie under the local user account.  This is Windows 10 Home with all updates applied to today.

What do I need to do so Eddie can be installed in or used from the local user account please? 

Many thanks.

Ed

Not sure what you mean. It gets installed to %PROGRAMFILES% by default where it can be executed by any user. Where did you want it to be installed instead?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Posted ... (edited)

I have no issue with where it is installed.  As you say ProgramFiles is where things are installed in Windows 10 ver 1903.  The issue is that it is not available to a local user account to run.  Eddie does not appear in the Start menu or the task bar and searching for it for the purpose of running from the search box from the local user account fails to find anything other than the original installation program.   Eddie appears, searches and runs normally in the admin account, but that is of no use as the admin account is only for admin use.  

I reinstalled it on the off chance something went wrong the first time but there is no change. 

Edited ... by E S
add windows ver no.

Can confirm on a Win 8.1 VM. But the truth is, you need admin privileges, anyway, maybe that was the thinking behind it.

Ok I can see that point. However all they need to do is ask for the admin password from the local user account like all other apps do at run time. 

As installed this just makes it a big time waster to have to log out of the local account go to the admin acct.. Set it up and then go back to the local user. Certainly not something my wife would ever bother doing.

I guess you can file this under product improvement opportunities.

Have you tried to create a link to EddieUI from admin account and copy-paste it wherever you need (e.g. desktop or Start menu) ?
That's what i did, and it works.

22 hours ago, E S said:

However all they need to do is ask for the admin password from the local user account like all other apps do at run time.

I do agree with you, mostly because it's inconsistent with how it works on Linux. There you execute eddie-ui with your account, Eddie asks for sudo (which is similar to Run as Admin on Windows, I suppose), and writes configs into the user's /home, albeit as root.

I keep repeating myself that a rewritten version of Eddie is in the works and will probably solve all the issues people keep reporting on the forums. ETAs can only be given by the coders if they decide to share, so no guarantees there. What's definite is that Eddie v3 is coming.

In the end I found I can run the installation from the local user account provided I go into Program Files and make a shortcut that goes on the local user desktop.  Not exactly difficult but not exactly what one expects after using an installer.  Maybe they will figure this out on the next version?  Thanks for the advice.