Not connected, Your IP: 54.87.17.177
ajaffarali

Why are uploads slower than downloads?

I have a connection of 150 down and 15 up from home and when I'm not connected to a VPN, I get the full speed when using speediest. When I am connected to AirVPN, I get download speeds between 60-80 but upload speeds are usually between 2-6. Why are uploads so slow? Is it my ISP?

Your download throughput is not ideal, either. Have you tried other servers, ports and protocols?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I'm using the default UDP 443 Port which suggests its the fastest option for a connection. Also, if it helps, using ASUS Merlin router for connecting.

I'm ok with the download speeds- I'm located in Middle East and have tried European and US servers and speed is somewhat similar.

But what I'm trying to understand is if I am getting downloads that are 60-70, that means that the VPN connection is capable of transferring at least at that speed. So then, why would uploads be so slow?

Posted ... (edited)

Depends. I can download with 50 MiB/s, too, but get throttled to exactly 2 MiB/s during the day. :) That is because my ISP does Deep Packet Inspection and detects BitTorrent traffic, I suspect.

Did you try a connection with your computer?

16 hours ago, ajaffarali said:

I'm using the default UDP 443 Port which suggests its the fastest option for a connection.

Well, for most :) some might need to use other ports. Back when I was a customer of German Telecom, I needed to switch to port 53 at some point because UDP/443 stopped being "good". And today you can even choose other entry IPs.

Edit: Woooaah. I never got throttled in the first place! My HDD was set to an I/O scheduler for flash and SSDs which produced a very high read and write latency, effectively resulting in drastic performance breaks after a few minutes (as more torrents went active), and exactly the symptoms I was seeing all those months and year.
Edited ... by giganerd
No throttled by ISP

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.