Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.201.245
uniteroast

ANSWERED Eddie on Windows connecting to rukbat by default?

When I restart my computer or come out of sleep mode, for some reason Eddie insists on connecting to Rukbat in the Netherlands. This is one of the worst possible servers for me to connect to, even Australia is better for latency. How do I stop it from doing this?

1 hour ago, giganerd said:

Did you define a whitelist?

No, I haven't changed that or any settings similar to that.

Well, that's the thing. It connects you to a recommended server, and that server is the result of a calculation involving latency, load and number of current users, among other things. If you browse to the status page, you will see a table summarizing the total load and user numbers for countries, continents and all the servers. A "best server" is determined based on the previously mentioned stats (except latency) and is recalculated every five minutes. The best server for a country, continent or "earth" is shown on that table as well.
Sweet thing: Resolving for example de.vpn.airdns.org will give you the current best server in Germany and makes some very basic load balancing possible within the AirVPN server network. At least on connect time.

You can counter it with Eddie by adding servers or countries to a whitelist, i.e., which of them you want to exclusively use. You can also add them to a blacklist and exclude them from being considered.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I live nowhere near Europe, that's the point. I would be fine with it if it actually connected to a good server for me, but servers with the top 10 worst latency out of all of the servers on the list is not a good server for me. I blacklisted Rukbat and it still connects to it.

That sounds like a bug, then. And I seem to remember a few threads about it in the past but, I believe, concerning older Eddie releases. Nevertheless, as I wrote in another thread already, bugs on Eddie are truly piling up on all platforms except Android, but Eddie v3 is in development. From the looks of it, as there is no prototype yet, or a "pre-alpha developer version", I assume v3 currently does not work, or is very limited in functionality.

3 hours ago, uniteroast said:

I blacklisted Rukbat and it still connects to it.

Another way to do this in Comodo-->Firewall-->Network Zones-->Blocked Zones.
Add the IP of that server Rukbat (213.152.162.83). 
Now Eddie app will not connect to it anymore.

14 minutes ago, Flx said:

Now Eddie app will not connect to it anymore.

The problem with this approach is that OpenVPN will still try to connect to it for 60 seconds and then, maybe, will try another server.

1 hour ago, giganerd said:

The problem with this approach is that OpenVPN will still try to connect to it for 60 seconds and then, maybe, will try another server.

Lets try another approach. In Comodo-->Firewall--> Network Zones-->Global Servers. From that list remove any "undesired serverIPs" you do not wish to connect to.

So I figured out what the problem was, I believe it was shutting down Windows without properly closing the application first. Normally this isn't a huge issue, but it seems when you do that it's likely it won't save any changed settings, including blacklist and whitelist. So shutting down the application with with X in the corner seems to make it save the blacklist and whitelist just fine. Easy enough to work around.