Not connected, Your IP: 3.238.87.31
Mad_Max

Netflix doesnt work with Pfsense but works with Eddie!

Hello
I have this weird problem. where Netflix doesnt work when im connected to AirVPN through my Pfsense with vpn. However, if i just start eddie and connect to any server netflix works again :S!

My pfsense is not leaking dns and i have locked the dns to Airvpn's dns.

Any ideas to fix this problem?

13 hours ago, Mad_Max said:

i have locked the dns to Airvpn's dns.

Are you sure this works as intended? Which country are you in?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

10 hours ago, giganerd said:

Are you sure this works as intended? Which country are you in?
I think yes. I did a couple of dns leak tests and none has shown which country im in. they only show the server that im connected to.

9 hours ago, Air4141841 said:

I’ve tried for two years on pfsense with NO success.

various android and LG WEBOS tv’s
same issue. 

its really weird! if i just run a 2nd connection with eddie it works fine ! :|

Worked fine on pfsense for me. Just make sure your VPN network is actually using AV DNS. For example: block outgoing port 53 on WAN and VPN and only allow AV DNS on VPN interface. Then check if your VPN network clients still can resolve hosts. If not check firewall logs for port 53 blocks and you’ll see which DNS server they’re actually querying.

9 hours ago, 0.07305880509955043xP said:

Worked fine on pfsense for me. Just make sure your VPN network is actually using AV DNS. For example: block outgoing port 53 on WAN and VPN and only allow AV DNS on VPN interface. Then check if your VPN network clients still can resolve hosts. If not check firewall logs for port 53 blocks and you’ll see which DNS server they’re actually querying.

Hello 007,
Can you explain AV DNS for me please.
Thank you,Casper

For Netflix to work properly your clients need to use AirVPN DNS. Here’s more info https://airvpn.org/specs/ (search for DNS). On pfSense the easiest way is to set DNS to 10.4.0.1 in DHCP config. You will also need to add ‘route 10.4.0.1;’ to your OpenVPN client custom config. 

17 hours ago, 0.07305880509955043xP said:

AV DNS

I honestly cringed slightly. :D Casper is long enough a member to know what AirVPN DNS is, but he probably has never seen it called "AV DNS", like me, so the confusion is real :DD Please just use the word AirDNS for it. https://airdns.org

But I agree with Mr. 0.07305880509955043xP that I think you are indeed leaking somewhere. You still didn't answer which country you are in. I wanted to know which version of Netflix you are seeing. If you're not in the US but you see the US version, then you were indeed using AirDNS and the issue is deeper than we think.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

3 hours ago, 0.07305880509955043xP said:

For Netflix to work properly your clients need to use AirVPN DNS. Here’s more info https://airvpn.org/specs/ (search for DNS). On pfSense the easiest way is to set DNS to 10.4.0.1 in DHCP config. You will also need to add ‘route 10.4.0.1;’ to your OpenVPN client custom config. 

my devices show 2 IP addresses. the 2nd address is 10.4.0.1 and the 1rst one is followed by this message from that page If that's not possible, then we suggest to set the DNS IP address matching the VPN gateway IP address, as this is the safest method to prevent certain attacks based on hijacking.

so  every time i  reconnect to openvpn i change the new gateway address so its there.

how do you add route 10.4.0.1 or the default gateway to the openvpn client config?    which part of the openvpn manuals explains this...   i have typed EXAMPLE: push dhcp-option dns 10.4.0.1 and it still does not work 

thank you 

The router tunnel is changed to Airvpn, tv has static ip, and statically assigned dns from pfsense.   It gets the dns and I pleak.net shows only the server I am on..

like i I said I’ve tried this for two years... 

I’ll post my config:

route "10.4.0.1 255l255.255.0";
push "dhcp-option dns 10.4.0.1";
explicit-exit-notify 5;
route-delay 5;
resolv-retry infinite;
persist-key;
persist-tun;
remote-cert-tls server;
auth-nocache;
tls-version-min 1.2;
remote 199.249.230.34 443;
remote us3.vpn.airdns.org 443;remote us3.vpn.airdns.org 443;remote us3.vpn.airdns.org 443;

406C1C00-640C-4432-866B-DC34D49C05A2.jpeg

38DBC53E-C7CC-4D57-B722-3EB17841F90B.jpeg

Your config seems fine. Perhaps your TV is accessing Netflix in a way that AirVPN double hop servers don’t support.

I ran into this today when I setup the airvpn dns as the only dns in pfsense under the general setup.  I have my DNS Resolver set to fwd all requests to this server.  I put the CloudFlare DNS back in and all was right in the world.  I'd rather be using the AirVPN DNS but trying to keep the WAF at the 5 9's.