Not connected, Your IP: 44.210.107.64
NormG1

IpLeak returning incorrect information.

I have been using IPLeak.net for over a year. And it has been helpful and correct all that time.

I am using the Location Guard add-on to spoof my location. According to other sites similar to ipleak.net, my geolocation matches my spooked location as set in Location Guard.

I am also blocking WebRTC. yet ipleak is showing my actual, real physical location. This should not be possible. There must be a bug in your latest code as it relates to geolocation.

I have seen other reports on Reddit about this bug but no acknowledgment from IPLeak.net as to what is wrong.

@NormG1

Hello!

Such a strange bug that it's capable to detect your location? Doesn't sound like a bug at all. :)

"Geo-location detection" field in ipleak.net involves HTML5. Make sure to disable it on the browser. WebRTC has nothing to do with it.

Kind regards

I guess I am curious why the geo-location shown in the past was the geo-location set by Location Guard add-on and not the actual ISP physical location?

It only recently stopped working and started showing the local ISP location.

Here's is a screenshot from mylocation.org showing the geolocation that web sites are seeing coming from my browser. My actual location is hidden, which allows the use of sires with geo-locks.

IPLeak.net USED TO LOOK LIKE THIS. But now, it looks like the second screenshot. And it is MISLEADING, causing users to believe that their actual physical location is being revealed to websites when it isn't.

When troubleshooting an issue, your misleading information can send a user on a wild goose chase. For example, many streaming sites subscribe to a database of known Vpn servers and block them, with no explanation to the user. Just Connection Error. Try again. Well, the user can try 100 times, but that IP is blocked, no matter where its IP location might be.

So a user of IPLeak.net might think the problem is compromised geolocation and follow that path rather than the correct solution of finding a different VPN server not in the database of known VPN servers.

And I call it a bug because SOMETHING CHANGED IN YOUR CODE RECENTLY to cause this display of misleading information that is not used by streaming media sites to determine location. I know because I can still stream.

I like your site and it is very thorough in its capabilities. Much better than mylocation.org. Except now, with your code changes, their data better answers the question "Where does a website think I am located"

So I wish your programmers would look at what they changed and roll it back to what it used to look like.

The third screenshot is Location Guard add-on, with the location guard location being the one that shows up in mylocation.org.

Sorry, but there is a problem at your end and you need to fix it, please.

Screenshot 2019-06-11 08.22.52.pdf Screenshot_2019-06-11_08_29.49.pdf Screenshot 2019-06-11 09.08.56.pdf

Hello!

Well everything seems fine. Frankly we don't see any source of confusion: the web browser geo-location has a button to activate when the browser is configured to not reveal it.

Kind regards

On 6/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, NormG1 said:

But now, it looks like the second screenshot. And it is MISLEADING, causing users to believe that their actual physical location is being revealed to websites when it isn't.

What? :D If any geolocation checkers revealed my true location, even if it was the only one in ten, I'd be concerned no matter what. Which means, there is some hole in your setup making it possible to get your real location. Imagine a real service like VoD checking your location the way IPLeak is doing it, and the result would be your real location, which would ultimately mean a geoblock from this service. Editing the results of that one checker will not change the result of the real service. You can try asking them whether they'd be ready to change their code to let you watch US movies from Europe or so, but laughter is all you'll get, I imagine. :)

Why exactly are you faking your HTML5 geolocation when you can disable geolocation altogether and force any real service to use IP geolocation which is known to be less accurate? I must ask. It's even easier and "safer" than installing addons you don't know the origin of - or the source code for that matter.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I will take the easy question first. Streaming services insist on geolocation. I have no choice in the matter.

i do understand your main point. You assert that my browser is leaking my actual geolocation. That your software is detecting it when other sites and streaming services are not detecting it.

How would I go about testing or verifying your assertion? I get the same results on Chrome and Firefox. Perhaps it is something in Location Guard that the developer is not aware of. And how could he be since in his testing he gets results similar to mylocation.org.

If it is my setup of course ai am concerned. Why is your site able to detect this leak while others cannot? 

What are you doing better than what they are doing? And if you are correct and I have a geolocation leak how do I find it and fix it??

i am not the only person seeing these strange and u ique results. It has been written about on reddit.

one thi g different on my end. I went from a 2017Macbook Pro to the 2018 model with the touchbar.

so I am using a different although similar computer.

And I have updated Mojave to 10.14.5 on the new machine.

so would appreciate some guidance for finding the geolocation leak your site has discovered. Because it is now a concern that it is real and I have the problem.

What on my machine is not working???

@NormG1

If it is my setup of course ai am concerned. Why is your site able to detect this leak while others cannot? 

Hello!

It's just HTML5 geo-location: https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_geolocation.asp

HTML5 exists since 2014 and ipleak.net has this feature since then, so no news here.

so would appreciate some guidance for finding the geolocation leak your site has discovered

Do not enable HTML5 geo-location, or disable it if you have already done so. All browsers come with it disabled by default as far as we know.

Kind regards

14 hours ago, NormG1 said:

I will take the easy question first. Streaming services insist on geolocation. I have no choice in the matter.

Which one does force you to use HTML5 geolocation specifically?

14 hours ago, NormG1 said:

i am not the only person seeing these strange and u ique results. It has been written about on reddit.

I quickly searched Reddit for "ipleak", "geolocation", "html5" and their variations in different combinations and did not find anything. Of course, this only looks in submissions. Can you link to some of these reports you refer to?

4 hours ago, Staff said:

All browsers come with it disabled by default as far as we know.

I can't say for other browsers, but on Firefox/Waterfox, this is not true unfortunately. It's enabled by default.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

16 hours ago, BlueBanana said:

Strange. ipleak.net works fine for me.

Firefox 68.0.2

Then tell me this. After ipleak.net has loaded in your Firefox browser do you see it "still encrypted" or "Connection not secure"?
I did not say it doesn't work.
6 hours before I posted "the above" this was not the case. It worked fine.