Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.16.116
frisbee

ANSWERED custom directives routing not working on Android

Hello, I'm a new user of AirVPN and loving it so far.

I'm trying to setup custom routing on Android with the Eddie app via the Custom directives option.

I tried: push "route whatsmyip.org 255.255.255.255 net_gateway" and it isn't working my ip is showing the VPN one, and I don't see any error in the log.

I also tried: route whatsmyip.org 255.255.255.255 net_gateway but I get an error in the log. This command is working on the Eddie app on Windows.

Is there any way to exclude specific domains from being routed inside the VPN on Android?

I also tried using OpenVPN client (Android), I can connect but the traffic is still routed inside the VPN.

Any idea how to make this works?

The Share button of the Eddie app log doesn't seems to work, so I can't share the log here.

Thanks!

14 hours ago, frisbee said:

Is there any way to exclude specific domains from being routed inside the VPN on Android?

It only works with IP addresses, and it only ever worked with IP addresses, because packet filters and kernel routing tables only ever work with IP addresses. :)

14 hours ago, frisbee said:

The Share button of the Eddie app log doesn't seems to work, so I can't share the log here.

This looks like an issue we had with quite an old Eddie version, but anyway, you can mark all log entries, copy it normally and paste it elsewhere. When doing so, please use the LOG formatting template in the upper left corner of the editor in your browser.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

2 hours ago, giganerd said:

It only works with IP addresses, and it only ever worked with IP addresses, because packet filters and kernel routing tables only ever work with IP addresses. :)

Thank you for the quick answer. I'm not a pro at all in those sorts of things, but any idea why it works on desktop then? 

On 6/7/2019 at 5:53 PM, frisbee said:

but any idea why it works on desktop then?

You usually need privileged access to run OpenVPN on PC systems whereas on Android you don't. There the VPNService API is used to push routes and that one accepts numeric IP addresses only.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, giganerd said:

It only works with IP addresses, and it only ever worked with IP addresses, because packet filters and kernel routing tables only ever work with IP addresses.

Well, the OpenVPN manual outlines that you really can provide a DNS name to the route directive. I think it will only set the route to whatever the IP address was at the time of connection and does not take dynamic changes into account. It probably will work with whatsmyip.com, but will fail with Netflix, Google or Facebook.

For anyone finding this and looking for the same thing, I was able to make it work on Android by using the OpenVPN app instead of Eddie.

If I was a random visitor on the internet with that problem stumbling into here, I'd curse you :D
Please outline the steps you took to make it work. I'm also sure it will be interesting for other AirVPN users. :)