Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.144.32
Sign in to follow this  
williamsmin

securing whassapp/skype/viber

Hello everyone,

need you help.

few question:

can someone trace my ip if im using whatapp over vpn?

can someone trace my ip when skype/viber phone calls to computer users

and from skype to regular phone? is it possible to trace the ip?

appreciate it

It depends how we define "trace." Ultimately, virtually anything can be traced back to the original operator. If you mean will "whatapp" see your real IP if using a VPN, probably not, so long as there is no leak.

Skype should be avoided, as virtually all other Microsoft products. I think the bigger issue is not whether your IP will be exposed, which is not likely, but whether your VoIP conversations can be eavesdropped, which they most easily can.

If your regular phone is registered to you, then ultimately, yes, it can all be traced back to you--what it is not likely unless you are investigated and they issues subpoenas.

Never underestimate the power of a state actor.

Hello everyone,

need you help.

few question:

can someone trace my ip if im using whatapp over vpn?

can someone trace my ip when skype/viber phone calls to computer users

and from skype to regular phone? is it possible to trace the ip?

appreciate it

Hello!

No, it's not possible, as long as you are connected to the VPN and you started your application after the connection to a VPN server.

Anyway, remember that if Skype knows who you are, changing IP does not matter: your calls and chats will be anyway logged and linked to your account.

Kind regards

Thanks..

i want to clarify...

if im calling from skype prepaid calls to a regular phone over vpn, the ip cannot be traced but the conversation can be discovered?

second, what about different Voip program? are there any recommend and secure one?

thank you again

Thanks..

i want to clarify...

if im calling from skype prepaid calls to a regular phone over vpn, the ip cannot be traced but the conversation can be discovered?

Hello!

That's correct. Skype retains any and each encryption key, so Skype can decrypt your communications whenever it wishes or whenever it is asked to do so by a proper authority.

second, what about different Voip program? are there any recommend and secure one?

This will require a little investigation by you. You might like to start from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voip#Securing_VoIP

Kind regards

I too would like to clarify...

Some have suggested that there is no manner to anonymize Skype, regardless of the service (VPN, proxy, SSH, et al.). The argument is that the original IP is part of the protocol stack and therefore, it is not possible to access Skype anonymously with a VPN.

I'm not entirely convinced of this argument. However, even if it were true, there may be an easy way to prevent an IP leak.

Moreover:

Some have suggested that using a VoIP VPN will help encrypt VoIP communications. But I am not entirely convinced of this either, especially when you consider that with Skype, the encryption keys are held remotely by Skype. Besides, once a connection is made to Skype, whatever the VPN encrypted, is no longer of any value, since it is being sent and received from the Skype servers, which Skype can decrypt at will. Also you may want to consider that Skype may have a backdoor—it is owned by Microsoft after all.

But more than this, however, regardless of whether the VoIP communications are encrypted, there is some evidence that VoIP communications can be eavesdropped in a variety ways. There is a linguistic study referenced in my book--http://phys.org/news/2011-05-encrypted-voip.html--that suggests that VoIP is not as secure as heretofore believed.

There is probably only one--potentially at least--solution to encrypt VoIP and that service is not operable yet.

As for Skype replacements:

There are many on the Internet that are far superior, many of which are open source.

thank you very much for you insights..its important to me.

you mentioned a better Voip program, can you recommend one that is safe enough or secure enough to use?

more ever, for chatting im using pidjin with otr plugin. how you find it? secure as it believe to be?

I'd be interested in hearing from the Admins and others what would be a more secure medium for VOIP.