Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.36.10
j0pad0pa

AirVPN & OpenDNS' DNSCrypt

I am curious whether there are any benefits to using OpenDNS, namely, to have their DNSCrypt software running 1) in conjunction with the AirVPN client, and 2) when AirVPN is disconnected.

Will running DNSCrypt (or setting the DNS to OpenDNS' servers) mess up any anonymity provided by AirVPN?

I also do not understand the concept behind DNSCrypt and am wondering whether it provides any additional privacy (other than merely setting the DNS to OpenDNS' or Comodo's DNS servers).

I do understand that this is all moot (and correct me if I am wrong) because whatever I set my DNS settings to in Windows 7, it automatically "pushes" to AirVPN when the client is running.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I also have Comodo firewall up, running, and configured properly to work with AirVPN (according to the instructions on the forum).

Thanks,

Jopa

I am curious whether there are any benefits to using OpenDNS, namely, to have their DNSCrypt software running 1) in conjunction with the AirVPN client, and 2) when AirVPN is disconnected.

Will running DNSCrypt (or setting the DNS to OpenDNS' servers) mess up any anonymity provided by AirVPN?

I also do not understand the concept behind DNSCrypt and am wondering whether it provides any additional privacy (other than merely setting the DNS to OpenDNS' or Comodo's DNS servers).

I do understand that this is all moot (and correct me if I am wrong) because whatever I set my DNS settings to in Windows 7, it automatically "pushes" to AirVPN when the client is running.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I also have Comodo firewall up, running, and configured properly to work with AirVPN (according to the instructions on the forum).

Thanks,

Jopa

Hello!

If you don't want use the Air DNS, you should force your favorite DNS servers on your TUN/TAP interface, so that encrypted and tunneled DNS queries will be forwarded by our servers to those. No problems with the Comodo rules, they don't prevent DNS queries in the tunnel, they prevent them outside the tunnel.

Usage of DNSCrypt is useless when a device is connected to the VPN. Usage of DNS servers different of Air DNS will not impact anonymity, but will neutralize our anti-ICE censorship system.

Kind regards

Think AirVPN's DNS push results in your using google DNS anyway. Basically using the DNS-server pushed by the VPN gives you faster responses. I don't change my DNS servers anymore since it's noticeably slower when browsing.