Not connected, Your IP: 3.133.153.162
noemata

Status of Eddie - Flatpak on Linux

Github Flatpak

i love and trust your service. only the debian/ubuntu version of eddie is horrible. the "main" process consumes too much ram. 

when i read your plan for linux, i miss something important. different versions for different linux systems are not future-oriented at all. i think it would be better to concentrate on flatpaks and secondarily on snaps as well. we need a cross-platform application. without having to tinker with keys, dependencies, packages, x - repos für x - different systems. it's possible. it's 2019.

plz & thx.

14 hours ago, noemata said:

different versions for different linux systems

There is only one current version for all major desktop platforms: 2.17.2. It's cross-platform because it looks and feels the same on all three, with slightly different ways to do some things. Just how much RAM does it consume and on which system with which specifications?
Maybe it's your Mono dependency? What's your version? I'm using the official Mono releases and can't complain about too much RAM usage if I happen to use it.

i think it would be better to concentrate on flatpaks and secondarily on snaps as well

Supporting as many installation methods as possible is truly a noble and time-consuming task and lets everyone use what one likes. So far I agree with you, and official flatpaks/AppImages/snaps are really considerable. But since most of these run in a sandbox I'm not sure OpenVPN in a flatpak for example would tunnel the whole NIC traffic through it. Others might have a better look on it and can tell more.
Therefore, replacing package manager versions with these is not good. They're too mighty, seeing as flatpak/snap must first be installed via said package managers. :D

And how are flatpaks going to solve your RAM usage problem in the first paragraph? It would only consume more. RAM shouldn't be a real problem. It's 2019.

without having to tinker with keys, dependencies, packages, x - repos für x - different systems

There's something official for all package manager formats, be it DEB, RPM, pacman or else. Just be grateful they're packed and maintained by AirVPN themselves. :)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

thx4your answer. before: it's not only the load. anyway:

my answer is delayed because i used another system after the last post. fedora, silverblue 30. there you layer the rpm package (rpm-ostree) and the thing is done. key-import et cetera is not necessary. ram & cpu load is negligible. my reference to flatpaks was in the context of f.  silverblue/rawhide, which i have been using with interruption for a long time. things are a little different here, therefore my "thinking" is a little different here.

flatpaks - everything is possible and it would relieve also your work a lot. snaps can be forgotten anyway, because they cause (not) only problems with selinux and are (therefore) not conform to the cross-platform-ideal. apparmor relieves snap functionality significantly, so this snap-thing only works under canonical/opensuse .. and the devil knows where else.

yep, as far as i understand it, the flatpak-sandbox is also an obstacle for the development of several flatpak-browsers. on the other hand, massive development is taking place here day after day and month after month new opportunities are opening up for developers. at least i would keep an eye on this topic. again, it exonerates the user, it exonerates you.

the current state of affairs = at the time of the 1st posting: i'm back at kde-neon.

i had eddie 2.16.3. on fedora and there was a "mono" process (minimum load), here on neon i see a process with the name "main" (root). since a simple import of the generated ovpn via network-manager is not possible without my cloudflare-dns appearing in various tests (i tried every solution given in the net, nothing helped) i depend on eddie (i consciously don't write "dns-leak" in this forum). 

i don't install debs principally. it already takes to overcome to install eddie via repo & co. (as mentioned, i'm used to other approaches on linux). and pacman - j.. no. not on neon. i don't want to build a "kubuntu/neon mix" out of it. pkcon xy,

sudo apt autoclean; sudo apt clean; sudo apt autoremove --purge && sudo apt-get purge $(dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}')

minimal default ubuntu-repos, non-bloated vanilla kde, discover & flatpaks - that's all.

and yep, that's right to. ram shouldn't be a real problem. it's 2019. but - like paradox-lunduke always repeats - there is hardly any downward compatibility on linux. non-bloated is always better than bloated. and what about old computers. hell, there are still computers with 2 gb ram sold for far too much money - here, in europe. and what about people in poorer and/or restricted countries, who are even more interested in a (of course lightweight) vpn (client)? 

but i also read that you make a lot of changes to eddie, which takes time, so i have a lot of confidence (even in eddie-flatpak). 

2.17.2.? i'm running 
2.16.3. is  2.17.2 stable? must take a look.. where (edit: uh, under experimental - i will try it).

best regards,
n.

ps: not one of my flatpak apps is resource-hungry ;)

30 minutes ago, noemata said:

flatpaks - everything is possible

I don't see any way to tinker with system files (resolv.conf), write to /dev/net/tun and other things globally when using OpenVPN in an application separated from the system by flatpak's sandbox nature, therefore, this statement seems to be quite the opposite. Not to mention, that OpenVPN requires root to alter the kernel routing table. How are you going to access this if flatpak sandboxes applications? If you have any resources to share which say otherwise, please do so.

36 minutes ago, noemata said:

on the other hand, massive development is taking place here day after day and month after month new opportunities are opening up for developers

That might very well be the case but at the present date it seemingly does not support all of what Eddie needs to do with the system.

40 minutes ago, noemata said:

since a simple import of the generated ovpn via network-manager is not possible without my cloudflare-dns appearing in various tests (i tried every solution given in the net, nothing helped) i depend on eddie

network-manager is a bit wonky when it comes to OpenVPN. Been there, tried that (using KDE as well). I went back to simply connecting via terminal (sudo openvpn). Created a .desktop file for this. DNS leaks are not a thing for me because I've got a network profile with only AirDNS enabled and I never experience leaks. Actually I've been following this approach since I permanently switched to Linux.
Did you try the network profile thing?

43 minutes ago, noemata said:
2.17.2.? i'm running 2.16.3. is  2.17.2 stable? must take a look.. where?

Define "stable".. it's officially an experimental version, but is stable in the sense of doesn't crash or surprise you negatively :D

thx, yep, i just noticed it. i'll try the experimental version first and then the other suggested/linked (maybe) solution. i also asked kde - devs/community to fix this (imho) privacy-gap or not to offer the "network-manager-import-vpn-option", because too many users are swaying in supposed privacy when they are using this "feature". this is also true for gnome's network-manager & co. . there seemed to be no "leak" at first, but suddenly - cloudflare appears (sometimes).

curiously it worked for me with a new neon-image a few days after that discussion. but the current image shows the old behaviour again. however, it could be that 5.16 brings new features here; they worked on the network-manager & vpn features as well. but to rely on this .. not again. 

i leave the flatpak thing to the/you programmers. but i see wireshark as flatpak, i see even firefox as flatpak (in the fedora registry, because mozilla devs were only capable of  f. snaps), steam, even tutanota .. so i think to myself as a layman, there is already a lot possible here .. and there will be a lot more possible. but safety first, no question. maybe you ask some flathub/flatpak devs on github?  

and i will try the new version & read your link.

thank you (airvpn) for not being from switzerland. bad, bad decision this subatomic particle ;).

n.

2 minutes ago, noemata said:

but i see wireshark as flatpak

Really? 😮 Now, that's something worth looking into... thank you. :)

yep, it's there https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.wireshark.Wireshark .  edit: under kde neon: minimize eddie to tray & with the new iso: no longer the massive ram/cpu load. but never forget to do the following on every ubuntu-based distro (minimal ubuntu or full ubuntu) : 

sudo apt purge ubuntu-report popularity-contest apport whoopsie

thx giganerd 4 your helpful answers & the nice + important service (these days).