Not connected, Your IP: 3.235.186.149
best10vpnn

AirVPN Made Tier 1 for Tom Spark's Review Rankings

Posted ... (edited)

Hey guys, just a small time  YouTuber and blogger here, but AirVPN just made my top tier 1 VPN rankings, the only VPN to do so. The review is probably not perfect, but I think I nailed what makes AirVPN stand out! Hopefully it encourages more people to use it. Let me know if you have any feedback about my review, what you liked, or hated, etc. Thanks!

Edited ... by best10vpnn

Hello!

It's refreshing to see a video review. I must say, that regardless of your review, that this is the most important: 

I am affiliated, but not sponsored by any VPN. This means I do make money when you click on the links provided, but keep my own opinion to be legit and truthful without bias. I do not host sponsored content on this channel, which means I am not paid to promote VPNs in a positive manner. All of my opinions on this channel are strictly my own!

I'm impressed that you mentioned the forums as a useful element as a part of the VPN experience, in conjunction with the no logging. That's easily missed. 
  • But you missed the reasoning behind why AirVPN doesn't offer the live chat feature which you requested, it seems.
  • Further, I don't think it's reasonable to list it as a con that there weren't enough or should be more servers and then not specify what - if any - you were looking for. But AirVPN just added a whole new country actually. 
  • Since security/privacy is one of AirVPNs selling points, I also think it would've helped your review, if you had made it clearer that Air doesn't just add any server because it's popular, but only if it's the right thing to do. 
  • In the same vein, you could then have considered adding some more factoids about those servers, such as them all being bare metal, which can be important for many reasons.
  • There's many other aspects I think you could've gone more into: how Bitcoin is handled, the approach to P2P, Android Eddie and so forth. You can read a list of Air-related security links in my guide's First Question section.
  • I'm surprised you didn't mention the apparent complexity of Air that much. It was mentioned briefly with Eddie's menu's, while other reviewers usually make a bigger deal out of all the technical jargon.
  • Perhaps in a future review, you could attempt to test certain features more. Such as - how good is Network Lock actually? After all, "killswitches" are a big deal, but they don't always work fully. 
Overall not bad :).

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

12 hours ago, LZ1 said:

Hello!

It's refreshing to see a video review. I must say, that regardless of your review, that this is the most important: 

I'm impressed that you mentioned the forums as a useful element as a part of the VPN experience, in conjunction with the no logging. That's easily missed. 
  • But you missed the reasoning behind why AirVPN doesn't offer the live chat feature which you requested, it seems.
  • Further, I don't think it's reasonable to list it as a con that there weren't enough or should be more servers and then not specify what - if any - you were looking for. But AirVPN just added a whole new country actually. 
  • Since security/privacy is one of AirVPNs selling points, I also think it would've helped your review, if you had made it clearer that Air doesn't just add any server because it's popular, but only if it's the right thing to do. 
  • In the same vein, you could then have considered adding some more factoids about those servers, such as them all being bare metal, which can be important for many reasons.
  • There's many other aspects I think you could've gone more into: how Bitcoin is handled, the approach to P2P, Android Eddie and so forth. You can read a list of Air-related security links in my guide's First Question section.
  • I'm surprised you didn't mention the apparent complexity of Air that much. It was mentioned briefly with Eddie's menu's, while other reviewers usually make a bigger deal out of all the technical jargon.
  • Perhaps in a future review, you could attempt to test certain features more. Such as - how good is Network Lock actually? After all, "killswitches" are a big deal, but they don't always work fully. 
Overall not bad :).
Personally the only missing country that disappoints me right now is Iceland. Their privacy laws are really good, better than even Switzerland. It's a glaring omission from the server list and it's simply disregarded because we have Norway and Sweden which are not comparable to Iceland in terms of legal protection and stance/cooperation. 

There are a handful of other providers that have it like ProtonVPN and IVPN, but AirVPN is just too good to switch cause of a single missing country.  

It's a glaring omission from the server list and it's simply disregarded because we have Norway and Sweden which are not comparable to Iceland in terms of legal protection and stance/cooperation

No, I don't think that's entirely accurate. We must assume that Air wants to add as many locations as possible, but only if it makes sense - both legally, but certainly also technically.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

The request for Iceland servers is approximately as old as my account here.. I'm not sure we ever heard a reason why no Iceland servers exist, but we can assume that currently there's no viable datacenter which might be able to provide a stable Gbit link and has acceptable prices.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Can anyone explain the hype about Iceland? With actual facts.
Their biggest datacenter, which all the competitors use, was hosting Silk Road in 2013.
They fully cooperated with U.S. law enforcement, even though legally they could probably not to.
(If you see Flokinet or OrangeWebsite, it's just rebranded IP whois under ThorDC/Advania which is the actual DC).

Quote from Iceland's laws:

http://legaldb.freemedia.at/legal-database/iceland/

It should also be noted that Art. 233a provides criminal liability for mocking, defaming, denigrating or threatening “a person or group of persons by comments or expressions of another nature, for example by means of pictures or symbols, for their nationality, colour, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity, or disseminates such materials”. The penalty is a fine or imprisonment for up to two years.

Criminal Code Art. 241 provides: “Offensive remarks may be judged null and void in an action for libel if the injured party so requests.” The offender may also be required to pay for the publishing of the court’s judgment or a correction.

Theoretically if you insult, mock, or libel someone (aka internet trolling) you are breaking Iceland's laws :)
That's not even the main reason for that. No actual provider has large volume bandwidth wholesale program,
so getting anything above 10TB would cost like 10 servers in Netherlands or Germany.
Peering directly with IX (Siminn, Farice,Simafelagid) which are all direct to RIX is possible but for a single server it's not a very common practice.
Maybe if it was for 10 servers it would be worth the efforts.
You can't expect a big, monopoly free network infrastructure in a country with less than 400k residents, compare it to a country like Malta or Cyprus for example (they are bigger).

Their copyright laws are not the best as well. East European countries are much more reluctant in these terms.
Check where the majority of pirate trackers are hosted for example.
I don't know how Iceland became that overhyped, possibly because they used to host Wikileaks from the early days.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.