Not connected, Your IP: 3.17.128.129

Hey!

Would it be possible to allow the VPN to be used as a Socks proxy? I might want to run only certain programs anonymously, while playing online games with my normal low ping internet connection.

I know I could change the routing table or something, but that's rather complicated I think. And I don't want to mess stuff up. I would gladly pay a bit more to have that functionality.

Thanks for your consideration

Right click on the Air icon on the bottom right taskbar and click preferences. Change the proxy to SOCKS. That's the only way I know, not sure if this is what you were wondering or not. Cheers!

Oh no, that's not what I meant, but thanks anyway.

I would like the Air servers to be Proxy servers so I can use them only for certain applications without having to route all traffic over the VPN. It's not that important, because I knew beforehand that they don't have that particular service, but it would be nice all the same.

What he means is if AirVPN were to offer SOCKS proxy servers as a separate service in addition to the VPN. This would be useful for clients who only need the service on an application-level basis. It could also be useful for bypassing certain geo-location restrictions while remaining connected to a particular VPN server. For example, let's say you are downloading a torrent via the NL server but want to visit a US-only site at the same time. Normally you'd have to stop what you're doing, log out of the VPN and change servers, but in this case you could just change the browser's proxy settings and do both simultaneously.

You could also make the argument that chaining a VPN + SOCKS proxy could (theoretically) enhance your anonymity by creating multi-jurisdictional hops, although in this case it's somewhat irrelevant since both services would be under the administration of the same provider (AirVPN) anyway.

Of course, a proxy (by itself) doesn't encrypt traffic like a VPN does, so it's not really as good from a privacy standpoint. Also, there's a potential security issue because client authentication data (usernames and passwords) would have to be stored on EACH proxy-hosting server, as opposed to OpenVPN which only needs one central authentication server for storing users' login credentials.

Still, it is a good idea -- one that has already been implemented by a handful of competitors in the VPN space, so it might be something for AirVPN to consider as a value-added service.

Yeah, you expressed it perfectly. I didn't know that this service would endanger the anonymity of the user though, but if there is really no encryption, I guess it makes sense.

On 8/18/2012 at 6:58 PM, FPyro said:

Would it be possible to allow the VPN to be used as a Socks proxy?

wiresocks.

download:

https://github.com/ivoronin/wiresocks/releases

run:

C:\wiresocks_0.2.2_windows_386>wiresocks.exe AirVPN_Asia_UDP-1637-Entry3.conf

socks5:

127.0.0.1:1080

On 8/18/2012 at 11:58 AM, FPyro said:

Hey!

Would it be possible to allow the VPN to be used as a Socks proxy? I might want to run only certain programs anonymously, while playing online games with my normal low ping internet connection.

I know I could change the routing table or something, but that's rather complicated I think. And I don't want to mess stuff up. I would gladly pay a bit more to have that functionality.

Thanks for your consideration

you really should use the Routes section to add your game servers ip address to be excluded from the tunnel. That way you can play without lag, and everything else (browsers, torrents, etc) goes through the vpn tunnel
you can easily make a google search for "find game server ip address" and easily get it to add it to the Routes in Eddie