Not connected, Your IP: 100.26.140.179
ainb

ANSWERED DNS Address - 0 Servers, 100 errors.

Installed Eddie v. 2.16.3 on Ubuntu 19.04.

When viewing ipleak.net (after choosing a VPN server via Eddie), the page shows 0 servers, 100 errors after completing tests (see attached). Does this mean that my system is leaking ip information?

Running ip leak test on other webpages show no leaks.

Screenshot from 2019-04-22 23-15-00.png

I've been getting the same thing since last night and the vpn isn't working regardless of what server I use.

Hello,

IPLeak.net's  "DNS address detection" seems to be acting up again today (Saturday).  The IP Address detection seems to be working fine, but the DNS address detection is throwing 100/100 errors again.  I've visited the site with a couple of different browsers and while connected to a couple different AirVPN servers over the course of the day...same issue each time.  Just a heads up for those who might be around to poke around in that setup.

Thanks!

Awesome that freaked me out when I noticed it last week haha. Now Ive got 67 DNS servers showing up at ipleak.net and everything is back to normal!

3 hours ago, Monotremata said:

Now Ive got 67 DNS servers

3 hours ago, Monotremata said:

normal

Excuse me, what the hell? :D You sure? :P

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

6 hours ago, giganerd said:

Excuse me, what the hell? :D You sure? :P
😂😂😂

Yeah I have no idea wtf is going on with it haha. The other day it said 0, earlier it said 67, now my browser cant even find the server ipleak.net heh. Between the Eddie beta on MacOS/DNS problems/ipleak freakouts, this VPN stuff is making me wanna let my hair grow out so I can pull it out later.

IPLeak.net is completely unreachable for me today.

I hope it's a maintenance issue as I've been using the site happily for a few years now.

What alternatives are there of the same quality?

8 hours ago, Monotremata said:
😂😂😂

Yeah I have no idea wtf is going on with it haha. The other day it said 0, earlier it said 67, now my browser cant even find the server ipleak.net heh. Between the Eddie beta on MacOS/DNS problems/ipleak freakouts, this VPN stuff is making me wanna let my hair grow out so I can pull it out later.

Nonono, I meant.. why do you have 67 DNS servers and call it normal when it clearly isn't? :D

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Yes it can look weird, but when you use a multicast DNS provider like Cloudflare,
those results are normal:

DNS Addresses - 48 servers, 6 errors.

This is what you will probably get from a random AirVPN location and your resolver as 1.1.1.1.

This is actually a good thing on it's own, it means your DNS resolver will try "harder" from multiple nodes,
in case of a temporary dnsfail result, and serve you the cached result of the recent known host.

For privacy, it is probably not the best way around, so DNSCrypt and OpenNIC are alternatives.

//
Must edit and say that Google does it as well, they just proxy their resolvers behind
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. When you run your own DNS you will see they still hammer you
with dozens of requests, but the client will still see 8.8.8.8 etc in the DNS check.
This is a quite usable thing actually because of the way DNS works. Gives more redundancy.

In the old era of "ISP DNS" an SRVFAIL will mean you are not getting an IP for that record.
With a somewhat more decentralized approach, at least you get the cache which is in 99%
not poisoned so any failure on the DNS provider side, or an update, you will still get response.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Yeah I use Google's DNS which is why I have so many (I just tried it again and now I have 74 DNS servers and 0 errors). I switched to that at the beginning of the month because Eddie was always hanging during connecting at checking IPV4, so I was trying anything to resolve it. When I left it set to Air's DNS I only used to get Air's DNS servers back. Sounds like ipleak was down all around when I tried it last so that explains that one, and their error explains the 100 errors.

i get the 100 errors on one computer but not on another, tried logging out and in again did not work, is the one showing 100 errors safe to use or not?

For all my devices not connected to AirVPN, I use for a DNS server an unbound installation running on an AirVPN-connected Linux computer (using NetworkManager, not Eddie, IPv4 only).

I get those 100 errors on ipleak.net when the "use-caps-for-id" option is enabled in unbound.conf:

# Use 0x20-encoded random bits in the query to foil spoof attempts.
# This feature is an experimental implementation of draft dns-0x20.
# use-caps-for-id: no
use-caps-for-id: yes

Don't know if this helps.

13 hours ago, NinjaThunderbolt said:

For all my devices not connected to AirVPN, I use for a DNS server an unbound installation running on an AirVPN-connected Linux computer (using NetworkManager, not Eddie, IPv4 only).

I get those 100 errors on ipleak.net when the "use-caps-for-id" option is enabled in unbound.conf:

Don't know if this helps.

Hi, i honestly don't check this with unbound yet, but i made a little hotfix that maybe resolve. Can you retry? Thx for this feedback.

2 hours ago, Clodo said:

Hi, i honestly don't check this with unbound yet, but i made a little hotfix that maybe resolve. Can you retry? Thx for this feedback.

Yes, ipleak.net now correctly shows the DNS server by its AirVPN IP.

43 minutes ago, NinjaThunderbolt said:

Yes, ipleak.net now correctly shows the DNS server by its AirVPN IP.

Thanks for the bugreport!