Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.192.3
wftomlin

Viewing security cameras from the internet

I live in a rural area with few internet options. I currently use Verizon's "Home Fusion". It's an antenna that picks up a cell signal from a Verizon tower. The cost is $120/mo. for 30GB of data. I'm running security cameras with Blue Iris software. I've opened a port on the router to enable me to view the cameras over the internet using either a web browser or the Blue Iris app.

I've found a better deal on internet service with AT&T's "HomeBase". It's $60/mo, for 250GB of data. Unfortunately, the "router" is basically a hotspot with limited options for configuration. There is no port forwarding option.

Is AirVPN capable of allowing me to do what I do now, that is, view my cameras from the internet, or more importantly with the Blue Iris app on my phone?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Air has port forwarding which is what you probably need. (I do know some security systems don't require port fowarding for you to be able to monitor them remotely)

However, you'll need to run VPN on a router so that the devices (blue iris) behind the router go through the VPN.  That means buying another router to sit behind your ISP router.

Further steps can be discussed after you decide what to do.

Air has port forwarding which is what you probably need. (I do know some security systems don't require port fowarding for you to be able to monitor them remotely)

However, you'll need to run VPN on a router so that the devices (blue iris) behind the router go through the VPN.  That means buying another router to sit behind your ISP router.

Thanks for your response.

I'm not sure I understand. Even if I have a second router, I ultimately have to go thru my ISP's router, which is incapable of opening a port to the internet. How does that work?

Thanks for your response.

I'm not sure I understand. Even if I have a second router, I ultimately have to go thru my ISP's router, which is incapable of opening a port to the internet. How does that work?

Hello!

That's irrelevant. The packets from the Internet reach a port of the VPN server exit-IP address and are forwarded to a port of your node VPN IP address (in your case the VPN IP address of the tun network interface of the machine running your camera software).

Forwarded packets are therefoe inside the VPN tunnel until they reach the port of your system tun interface, i.e. the network interface used by OpenVPN. That's all.

Kind regards

this is why i am so happy with my pfsense router.

i can select which devices i want over the tunnel... or not 

i have my security cameras going over the wan so i don't have to worry about this mess or forwarding ports and or DMZ

i have my security cameras going over the wan so i don't have to worry about this mess or forwarding ports and or DMZ

That's not a viable solution for those who are behind a NAT with no port forwarding, most unfortunately a very common situation since IPv4 addresses exhaustion. Specifically this is not a viable solution for the author of the thread as he clearly specified in his very first message. Please take care to not pollute threads.

Kind regards