Not connected, Your IP: 54.152.77.92
jv921

ANSWERED Master Password on Android

Hello all:

I have seen a couple of posts with this problem but no solution. I installed the AirVPN app months ago and not remembering the master password I used. I have tried mulitple uninstallations and reboots  - every time I reinstall I am prompted for the password. My phone is NOT rooted and I have no desire to do so to clear up this problem.

What else can I do to reinstall and get away from this issue?

Thanks!

Hello!

When you re-install you should be prompted for a NEW master password.

If not, the older files in /data/data/org.airvpn.eddie were not deleted, which usually means that the app was not really uninstalled. To uninstall an application, please make sure to follow the correct steps from the Android settings. Just to stay on the safe side, make sure to tap the Clear Data option for Eddie before you uninstall (however, that should be superfluous).

You can usually find the aforementioned button in the Storage section. After that, uninstall Eddie (in a stock Android, in general: Apps -> See all apps -> scroll down to Eddie -> select Eddie -> select Uninstall).

Please feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

Hello,

I have a similar problem, I have never been able to connect to the VPN with my newer cell phone using Eddie.

I'm able to connect on this phone with the Open Vpn app and the config generator files (.ovpn), which does work fine.

I can, however, connect using Eddie with my 2-3 year old cell phone.

I have tried the fix the staff suggested above, several times today, does not ask me for "new" password on the reinstall, even though I cleared data as instructed before uninstall. The phone that's the issue is a Motorola G6

Thanks

Just followed the instructions suggested by staff and still no luck. Using a stock Pixel 2.

However, like Members2, I was able to create a couple of .ovpn files and able to connect just fine with those - which is all I am looking to do at this time.

Thanks!

Is there any thought about including an option to not use a master password?  For home use, I see no need for one.  I just set mine to a single character to minimize its intrusiveness.

Is there any thought about including an option to not use a master password?  For home use, I see no need for one.  I just set mine to a single character to minimize its intrusiveness.

Hello!

It has been thought of yes, but I think it's unlikely to change at this stage, because:

1. Eddie Android is still in the early phases of development and so, fixing other things first is likely a priority.
  2. It's a major design choice and a carefully thought through one at that. Which refers back to the first point too.

The Master Password has the purpose to encrypt your sensitive data locally. Nothing on the web site can accomplish the same purpose. It's a precise design choice, according to which security of your keys and login credentials has the priority on a mobile device.

About Eddie Android edition, the alternative would be simply offering the option to disable the Master Password. We must think carefully about it because we could cause a storm of negative feedbacks, given the requirements of Air VPN users who are security minded.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I have had simalar issues were the master password seems to get corupted.

uninstalling does not work because the phone keeps cache which includes the password.

As stated above I have found this works.

go into APPS

on a Android phone find eddie and long press.

you should get the app info screen

you should now have the option to CLEAR DATA.

press this and all stored info should be deleted.

Now when you open eddie you should be asked to set a new password.

enter one then confirm it.

you should be ready to go with your user name and password.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:29 AM, myman said:

uninstalling does not work because the phone keeps cache which includes the password.

Worked for me @myman !
I didn't uninstall the app. just did what you said on a Samsung Galaxy - Android 8.0.
Thank you!

PS. And yeah! something is corrupting the master passwords because I entered correctly - I am 100% sure.