Not connected, Your IP: 3.239.119.159
Sign in to follow this  
dw123

Eddie in Antix must start from root terminal, closes when terminal is closed

Hi, I just installed Eddie v.2.16.3 on my computer, with Antix Linux v.17.3 (which has no systemd).

There is a menu item in the Internet Applications Menu, to start Eddie. But it does not work.

After configuring Network-Manager for AirVPN, the Eddie GUI appeared. But the menu item still is not functional.

I must start Eddie via a root terminal "eddie-ui".  Then, it runs fine, with icon in task tray, preferences and main window, when asked for, etc. But if I close the terminal window, Eddie stops and the connection is lost.

Edit... The problem is resolved, by editing a system menu. I regret that this was posted... would remove the post, but don't see how.

Hello!

The post is anyway useful, thank you! No reasons to delete, really, but the final choice is yours.

More technical details (including nohup, disown and how to handle properly stdin/stdout/stderr in such cases):

https://superuser.com/questions/178587/how-do-i-detach-a-process-from-terminal-entirely

We would like to add that, in order to detach completely a job from the original shell job list with a complete control and fine tuning, you can simply use GNU Screen, a terminal and terminal emulators multiplexer with a tiny RAM footprint:

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-use-linux-screen/

Kind regards

Thank you for the two links.

In my situation, following initial installation of Eddie, the application menu included a link to: eddie-ui.

I edited the menu to: gksu eddie-ui

(As I understand it, this is similar to su or sudo, but is more limited.)

The edited link does not open a terminal window, but it tells the system to "run eddie as root."

with appreciation for your service...