Not connected, Your IP: 3.16.70.101
LMawery

ANSWERED Not network access while connected to OpenVPN

I'ven been trying to setup my VPN for only qBittorrent, but I'm having some issues. I was following this guide (the one posted on this forum didn't work for me), but after connecting with OpenVPN it's not connecting to a network. It does however show it's connected to the server from the icon in the taskbar, but that network shows it has no access from the control panel. qBittorrent says that it has no direct connection as well. The only thing I've tried doing was removing the dns lines from the .opvn files, other than that I don't know what to do or what is causing the problem. If i disconnect from OpenVPN it shuts my internet down completely and I need to unplug my ethernet cable for a few seconds. I'm open to trying suggestions.

Eddie client works just fine for me also, but I lose access to certain websites or flat out can't login to other services with all traffic going through that.

Here's a log if that helps at all. https://pastebin.com/zH972pJW

Hello!

If Eddie works fine, why not just run it in a VM?

Then you can still reach whatever sites you want on your host OS, while the guest OS is exclusively for torrenting; with an added layer of security thanks to the VM. Maybe this is more harmonious with your goal.

Also, don't forget:

• Doing remote port-forwarding on this site.
  • You don't need to go to torrent sites with a browser, but can use the built-in search function in qBittorent. View > Enable Search Engine > Go to Search tab (appears next to "Transfers).
  • If you don't want to use Eddie because of site access issues, then don't forget it's possible to make some sites go outside the VPN tunnel: Eddie > Preferences > Routes. (From point 2 onwards).

You're also able to view the other torrenting guides available. You can check the guide in my signature for that. . It seems to me you should try Eddie again, unless you specifically want to use OpenVPN only, as Eddie is just an OpenVPN wrapper anyway.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

If Eddie works fine, why not just run it in a VM?

Then you can still reach whatever sites you want on your host OS, while the guest OS is exclusively for torrenting; with an added layer of security thanks to the VM. Maybe this is more harmonious with your goal.

Also, don't forget:

• Doing remote port-forwarding on this site.
  • You don't need to go to torrent sites with a browser, but can use the built-in search function in qBittorent. View > Enable Search Engine > Go to Search tab (appears next to "Transfers).
  • If you don't want to use Eddie because of site access issues, then don't forget it's possible to make some sites go outside the VPN tunnel: Eddie > Preferences > Routes. (From point 2 onwards).

You're also able to view the other torrenting guides available. You can check the guide in my signature for that. . It seems to me you should try Eddie again, unless you specifically want to use OpenVPN only, as Eddie is just an OpenVPN wrapper anyway.

I wasn't sure how much of an impact running a VM would take alongside running games or other software. And I'm not entirely sure how to get that setup and working to be honest.

It just depends on how many resources you allocate to the VM.

If you have a system with for example 8GB RAM, on newish hardware, it's possible to play games with a VM open. It depends on the games too of course.

Otherwise it's just a case of

Inside the VM where Eddie is running, you'll have an AirVPN IP address. This is the guest OS.

While your Windows system that you used to install the VM software on, is the host OS. Here your IP isn't being hidden when you browse the web.

Even if it looks like a long process, it becomes super quick once you know it. I can firmly recommend getting to know VirtualBox and how to do the above mentioned things .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thank you for the help! That honestly wasn't as hard as I thought it would be either. Everything is working fine so far, and if I really need to I can always turn if off playing more intense games (I don't play often so it's not a huge deal just want to seed while I can). I do have one question though. Is there any real difference performance wise between using VirtualBox vs Hyper V?

That's great - I did say it wasn't too hard .

Is there any real difference performance wise between using VirtualBox vs Hyper V?

I personally doubt it, but I can't give you a firm answer. For the average user, I think the answer is no. But now that you know how VMs work, you can always try out the different VM software suites yourself .

Now you can go mix and match. Create more VMs and have them at the ready, try out different settings - especially the Guest Additions.

Have fun: VMs are a playground, where if you break something, you just reload.

Experiment with different operating systems if you desire. It's a great way to test Linux distro's before the real install on your PC for example.

Also, for good measure, do check ipleak.net once in a while.