Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.132.66
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Eddie Android edition 2.1 beta released

Does this new Eddie beta for Android use any of the underlying software of OpenVPN for Android? - Is it necessary to keep updating that app?

Does this new Eddie beta for Android use any of the underlying software of OpenVPN for Android? - Is it necessary to keep updating that app?

Hello!

Eddie Android edition is an original project by AirVPN, currently developed by ProMIND.

In the "Information" > "Libraries" view, you find the various libraries which Eddie relies on: OpenVPN, mbed TLS, LZO, LZ4, boost, asio and breakpad. You don't need to update anything but Eddie itself.

Kind regards

I have a major issue with Eddie where Eddie will just quit and the VPN connection will be removed.I assume it has something to do with giving up on the network connection, as it's still running and logged in in the background, but no traffic is being routed through it.

Hello!

It sounds like some crash at some level, do you have the option to send us a logcat? Does it happen with 2.1 beta 2 and not with 2.0.1? What are your exact device model and your Android version?

Kind regards

I'm having the same problem. After roughly an hour or so the app just crashes/hard restarts. Although the notification says that it's connected it isn't and no VPN lock in place, thus leaking the traffic. The app also asks for the master password again after such a crash. The log in the app doesn't show anything worthwhile since it's a fresh log. I'm using a Fire 10 Tablet (FireOS, which is Android 5.1.1)

I'm having the same problem. After roughly an hour or so the app just crashes/hard restarts. Although the notification says that it's connected it isn't and no VPN lock in place, thus leaking the traffic. The app also asks for the master password again after such a crash. The log in the app doesn't show anything worthwhile since it's a fresh log. I'm using a Fire 10 Tablet (FireOS, which is Android 5.1.1)

Hello!

That means that Android restarts the app. It is possible that the issue is related to ARM32, we are investigating, but for sure we have detected problems between asio library and ARM32 processors. Can you confirm that your device is based on some ARM 32 bit processor?

Kind regards

According to Wikipedia and other spec listing sites, the device has 2x ARM Cortex-A72 and 2x ARM Cortex-A53, which are 64 bit processors apparently.

Hi,

after the Eddie Update to Version 2.1 beta 2, my Real IP is no longer hidden.

Hi, after the Eddie Update to Version 2.1 beta 2, my Real IP is no longer hidden.

Hello!

Can you please send us Eddie log taken just after the problem has occurred? In the "Log" view you have a "share" icon. You can send the log on a ticket. Thank you!

Kind regards

Hello!

Can you please send us Eddie log entries reporting system information (first entries on the top)?

Kind regards

Any plans to add ping feature in the future?

Hello!

Currently it's not planned, we're sorry, because we can't rely on ICMP on mobile networks. Even when ICMP is not blocked the round trip time may be too high on 3G and 4G networks. Considering 100 ms (which is optimistic in mobility on average) and only two pings per server, a full computation would take 45 seconds.

By considering 300 ms (not uncommon in 2G and some 3G networks) the total time skyrockets to 2 minutes and 15 seconds, making Eddie usage very uncomfortable.

On top of that, only two pings in mobile networks may provide biased outcome. Additionally, ICMP may be de-prioritized on mobile networks when a big amount of pings are sent out by a single node in a short time frame, making this method even more unreliable.

And when ICMP is blocked, waiting for the timeouts would make Eddie usage prohibitive.

Thanks to ipleak.net and close relationship between countries connectivity, Eddie for Android provides a very robust and more reliable alternative to help you pick a good server.

Kind regards

Hello!

Can you please send us Eddie log entries reporting system information (first entries on the top)?

Kind regards

@amazake and all the readers:

We managed to isolate the problems. It is caused by optimizations of the asio library during compilation of the software. The optimizations cause crashes in systems based on ARM 32 bit processors when OpenVPN works in TCP. A fix has been implemented and you will be able to see it in Eddie 2.1 beta 3, whose release is imminent.

Users with ARM 64 bit systems are not affected.

Kind regards

Any plans to add ping feature in the future?

Hello!

Currently it's not planned, we're sorry, because we can't rely on ICMP on mobile networks. Even when ICMP is not blocked the round trip time may be too high on 3G and 4G networks. Considering 100 ms (which is optimistic in mobility on average) and only two pings per server, a full computation would take 45 seconds.

By considering 300 ms (not uncommon in 2G and some 3G networks) the total time skyrockets to 2 minutes and 15 seconds, making Eddie usage very uncomfortable.

On top of that, only two pings in mobile networks may provide biased outcome. Additionally, ICMP may be de-prioritized on mobile networks when a big amount of pings are sent out by a single node in a short time frame, making this method even more unreliable.

And when ICMP is blocked, waiting for the timeouts would make Eddie usage prohibitive.

Thanks to ipleak.net and close relationship between countries connectivity, Eddie for Android provides a very robust and more reliable alternative to help you pick a good server.

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply. How about implementing ping feature for wi-fi only?

The reason I ask is because the international route of connection seems to differ all the time and ping is a reliable way to check before connecting. If I can't see the ping on app, I always connect to a server I always connect to, but have to do a speed check all the time. A lot of the times, I find myself hopping around servers with good results.

After testing RC1:

1: Please can we disable all foreground app notifications? It's a bit annoying having to dismiss a popup saying you are connected, the status bar tells me that. It's one of the perks of OpenVPN for Android since it gets out of your way.

2: Package chooser bug is fixed.

3: Interestingly, if I have an app that relies on the local network, even if I blacklist the app, and set the "exclude local network" option to on, it still doesn't see it on the local network. This is if the option "block connections without a VPN" is selected in Android settings. So my conclusion is Android does something to prevent even local networks talking within the tunnel.

4: Possible integration with the client area to see other connected devices, manage keys etc.

5: IPleak integration: It'd be nice to quickly see what IP leak says without having to go to IPleak, maybe a separate tab and a button you can press to fetch info.

I agree with @amazake, the new version is quite stable, but as much as it pains me to say this, the app is simply too clunky to use due to sub-optimal UX, let's explore this in more detail.

1: turn off wifi (say, to save battery).

2: turn on wifi.

3: VPN might be paused, but never reconnects automatically. You may need to 'force stop' the app from 'app info'.

4: Open VPN, enter 'master key' because that's the only way to use 'quick connect'.

5: I favorite a country (say NL), but for some reason, it likes to connect to Brussels.

6: DC from Brussels, swipe to quick connect, tap "yes, I want to disconnect", tap 'ok' to the next prompt, tap connect again, it then connects to NL.

7: Dismiss the insanely pointless popup telling me I am connected when there are less obtrusive ways to convey that information (say, on the connection status panel it opens automatically).

The quick connect also requires me to first disconnect before I can reconnect again, which is deeply frustrating. I also can't disconnect from the VPN if it is paused, the logo is faded and tapping it does nothing, instead I need to go to 'connection status' tap 'disconnect' and swipe back to 'quick connect'.

If I disable wifi and enable it the VPN will not reconnect, even though it says "connected to server" even though the client area says I am connected. (this is a bit flaky and hard to replicate).

Then sometimes, as we can see in wtf.jpg, something weird happens.

Honestly, I should be able to use this app without ever having to open the main application on Android, it's why OpenVPN for Android is so painless in this regard (although, it has its own issues, like sometimes the quick settings toggle doesn't work and you need to force quit the app, still frustrating).

This app is better from what I can tell than others, but it often doesn't recover automatically and forces me to re-engage with the main app. If you're someone who frequently switches from Wifi/mobile networks, or toggles network/airplane mode, this is likely to cause deep frustration.

The master lock feature is nice but causes an aggravation, if this was implemented in Eddie desktop it'd be horrendous if you have to enter it each time you logged on meaning input on every single boot of the OS. I'd rather have an option to "trust this device" and manage that trust via the client area, or maybe "trust this key", if you revoke the key, you'll need to re-enter the master password. Just something to require me to enter the master password less often.

I'd rather just have it remember the account password like Eddie desktop currently does, but instead make the password not plain text in default.xml so it's at least somewhat harder to decipher.

I agree with @amazake, the new version is quite stable, but as much as it pains me to say this, the app is simply too clunky to use due to sub-optimal UX, let's explore this in more detail.

1: turn off wifi (say, to save battery).

2: turn on wifi.

3: VPN might be paused, but never reconnects automatically. You may need to 'force stop' the app from 'app info'.

Hello and thank you!

Not reproducible. We have intensified our tests to check, still it's not reproducible. If something relevant comes out we will of course act accordingly to fix it. In the meantime, you might like to send us your Eddie log showing the issue.

4: Open VPN, enter 'master key' because that's the only way to use 'quick connect'.

5: I favorite a country (say NL), but for some reason, it likes to connect to Brussels.

Again not reproducible. Same as above, and we will also make more thorough tests. Waiting for your log as well, as usual, when you have time to send them.

If I disable wifi and enable it the VPN will not reconnect, even though it says "connected to server" even though the client area says I am connected. (this is a bit flaky and hard to replicate).

Again not reproducible, if you catch it again... log! :)

Then sometimes, as we can see in wtf.jpg, something weird happens.

We can't see wtf.jpg, can you please check and re-post please?

Honestly, I should be able to use this app without ever having to open the main application on Android, it's why OpenVPN for Android is so painless in this regard (although, it has its own issues, like sometimes the quick settings toggle doesn't work and you need to force quit the app, still frustrating).

Not reproducible in OpenVPN for Android, but it's not relevant as it is not into our scope, so let's discard it in this thread.

The master lock feature is nice but causes an aggravation, if this was implemented in Eddie desktop it'd be horrendous if you have to enter it each time you logged on meaning input on every single boot of the OS. I'd rather have an option to "trust this device" and manage that trust via the client area, or maybe "trust this key", if you revoke the key, you'll need to re-enter the master password. Just something to require me to enter the master password less often.

The Master Password has the purpose to encrypt your sensitive data locally. Nothing on the web site can accomplish the same purpose. It's a precise design choice, according to which security of your keys and login credentials has the priority on a mobile device.

I'd rather just have it remember the account password like Eddie desktop currently does, but instead make the password not plain text in default.xml so it's at least somewhat harder to decipher.

Then it would not be useful anymore and not a Master Password. This is a problem which affects Eddie desktop editions, but a desktop system is less likely to be stolen or forgotten somewhere (although laptops might). Anyway, adding security to Eddie desktop edition is a priority as well: we are working with such aim in mind.

About Eddie Android edition, the alternative would be simply offering the option to disable the Master Password. We must think carefully about it because we could cause a storm of negative feedbacks, given the requirements of Air VPN users who are security minded.

Anyway, please consider that if you want to clone OpenVPN for Android behavior with profiles and keep them unencrypted you can do that with Eddie. You can even generate a profile from the settings, without the Configuration Generator, when you use Eddie with AirVPN. In this way you will have your local data exposed in clear text according to your wishes.

Kind regards