Not connected, Your IP: 44.212.39.149
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Eddie Android edition 2.1 beta released

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that we are opening the beta testing phase of our free and open source software Eddie for Android version 2.1.

You can participate to the beta testing by joining the beta community in the Google Play Store here:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.airvpn.eddie

You can also download the Eddie Android 2.1 Release Candidate 1 apk directly from our repository:
https://eddie.website/repository/eddie/android/2.1rc1/org.airvpn.eddie.apk

The application is fully localized and we look for translators, especially for translations into Japanese, Korean and many other languages. If you wish to translate (from English) please contact info@airvpn.org for every detail.

Current implemented languages (new ones from 2.0.1 are underlined): Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Turkish.

Eddie for Android 2.1 RC 1 is a major refinement of version 2.0.1 and implements several features which were suggested by the community. It also underwent a deep re-engineering of some architectural components which translates into higher stability, correct co-existence with other VPN and non-VPN applications and in general improved events handling.

Eddie for Android is free and open source software released under GPLv3. We invite you to check from independent 3rd parties the lack of trackers code signatures, for example here: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/search/org.airvpn.eddie

UPDATE: Eddie 2.1 beta 2 available on 25th of February, 2019.
UPDATE: Eddie 2.1 RC 1 available on 8th of March, 2019

Main features:

• Free and open source OpenVPN GUI based on OpenVPN 3
  • The only Android application officially developed by AirVPN
  • Robust, best effort prevention of traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel
  • Battery-conscious application
  • Low RAM footprint
  • Ergonomic and friendly interface
  • Ability to start and connect the application at device boot
  • Option to define which apps must have traffic inside or outside the VPN tunnel through white and black list
  • Localization in Danish, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish
  • Full integration with AirVPN
  • Enhanced security thanks to locally stored encrypted data through master password
  • Quick one-tap connection and smart, fully automated server selection
  • Smart server selection with custom settings
  • Manual server selection
  • Smart attempts to bypass OpenVPN blocks featuring protocol and server fail-over
  • Full Android TV compatibility including D-Pad support. Mouse emulation is not required.
  • Enhancements aimed to increase accessibility and comfort to visually impaired persons
  • AirVPN servers sorting options
  • Customizable "Favorite" and "Forbidden" servers and countries
  • OpenVPN mimetype support to import profiles from external applications

NEW: Eddie for Android 2.1 RC 1 - Release notes

• Multiple OpenVPN profile support. The app now imports and manages multiple OpenVPN profiles
  • Support for custom bootstrap servers
  • Support for favorite and forbidden countries
  • AirVPN broadcast messages support
  • User's subscription expiration date is now shown in login/connection information
  • The app is now aware of concurrent VPN use. In case another app is granted VPN access, Eddie acts accordingly and releases VPN resources
  • Optional local networks access. In such case, local network devices are exempted from the VPN and can be accessed within the local devices
  • Localization override. The user can now choose the default language and localization from one of the available ones
  • Favorite and forbidden lists can now be emptied with a single tap
  • VPN Lock can now be disabled or enabled from settings
  • VPN reconnection in case of unexpected OpenVPN disconnection. (It requires VPN Lock to be disabled)
  • User can now generate an OpenVPN profile for any AirVPN server or country and save it in OpenVPN profile manager
  • Danish, Dutch, simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese localization
  • New server scoring algorithm implementing the latest AirVPN balancing factors in order to determine the best server for quick connection
  • Network name and extra information are now shown along with network type
  • Better device network status management
  • Bug fixes

Changelog:

Changelog 2.1 RC 1 (VC 17) - Release date: 8 March 2019 by ProMIND

- [NEgiXr] Added Simplified Chinese localization
- [NEgiXr] Added Traditional Chinese localization
- [anonymous] Added Dutch localization
- [ProMIND] Native Library: updated openvpn3, mbedtls, asio, lz4 and boost 1.69.0 from their respective repositories
- [ProMIND] Native Library: fine tuning of compilation options in order to avoid TCP crash in arm32 architecture
- [ProMIND] Updated default manifest.xml

CountryContinent.java

- [ProMIND] CountryContinent(): Added support for simplified and traditional chinese

EddieApplication.java

- [ProMIND] onCreate(): BuildConfig.VERSION_CODE and BuildConfig.VERSION_NAME are now sent to the Log

VPNManager.java

- [ProMIND] The status of VPN Lock and LAN exclusion are now reported to the log at connection
- [ProMIND] In case network connection is MOBILE, LAN exclusion is ignored and forced into the tunnel

LogActivity.java

- [ProMIND] onCreate(): BuildConfig.VERSION_CODE and BuildConfig.VERSION_NAME are now exported to the Log header
- [ProMIND] onCreate(): Settings dump is now exported to the log file

MainActivity.java

- [ProMIND] It now signals whether the app is in foreground by using SupportTools.setAppIsVisible()

NetworkStatusReceiver.java

- [ProMIND] Added NetworkType enum
- [ProMIND] Added getConnectionType() method to properly determine connection type according to NetworkType enum
- [ProMIND] Added a more accurate control in order to avoid duplicate events from BroadcastReceiver

PackageChooserActivity.java

- [ProMIND] ApplicationListLoader class: Package list is now loaded in a UI Thread

SettingsManager.java

- [ProMIND] Added dump() method. Returns a complete dump of the current settings

SupportTools.java

- [ProMIND] Added methods setAppIsVisible() and isAppIsVisible()
- [ProMIND] All information dialogs are now shown only in case the app is in foreground

Changelog 2.1 beta 2 (VC 16) - Release date: 25 February 2019 by ProMIND

- [ProMIND] networkDescription(): Fixed Android 9 compatibility

Eddie for Android 2.1 beta 1 - ChangeLog

Changelog 2.1 (VC 15) - Release date: 22 February 2019 by ProMIND

- [ProMIND] Fixed minor bugs reported in crash reports
- [ProMIND] Added country_menu, whitelist_country_menu and blacklist_country_menu menu resource files
- [ProMIND] Added new class OpenVPNProfileDatabase for storing and managing multiple OpenVPN profiles
- [staff] Added Danish localization

AirVPNServerProvider.java

- [ProMIND] getFilteredServerList() now filters server list according to white and black listed countries

AirVPNManifest.java

- [ProMIND] Added private properties load_factor and users_factor to conform to new manifest.xml layout
- [ProMIND] Property speedFactor datatype changed to double
- [ProMIND] Added class Message representing Manifest's messages to be shown to the user

AirVPNServer.java

- [ProMIND] computeServerScore(): score is now computed according to new AirVPNManifest's speedFactor, loadFactor and userFactor
- [ProMIND] getOpenVPNProfile() can now generate country profiles

AirVPNUser.java

- [ProMIND] Added daysToExpiration property to reflect the number of days to AirVPN subscription expiration according to expirationDate property

BootVPNActivity.java

- [ProMIND] Added new class which replaced and superseeded the old one. It takes care of launching the last connected OpenVPN profile at boot time

client.cpp (native library)

- [ProMIND] Client::Impl::socket_protect() updated interface according to new OpenVPN3 interface

ConnectAirVPNServerFragment.java

- [ProMIND] Long press on "favorite" and "forbidden" lists now enables "empty list" context menu
- [ProMIND] AirVPN subscription expiration is now shown in network/vpn status dialog box
- [ProMIND] AirVPN user name is now shown in network/vpn status dialog box
- [ProMIND] CreateGroupList() added support for favorite and forbidden countries management
- [ProMIND] Added methods addCountryToFavorites(), removeCountryFromFavorites(), addCountryToForbidden() and removeCountryFromForbidden()
- [ProMIND] AirVPNServerExpandableListAdapter class: added support for showing and managing countries views as child items in favorite and forbidden groups
- [ProMIND] Added OnItemLongClickListener() to ListView in order to show a message in case item long press and user not logged in to AirVPN
- [ProMIND] Added exportToOpenVPNProfiles() for exporting AirVPN OpenVPN profiles in user's profile list

ConnectionInfoFragment.java

- [ProMIND] Removed showErrorMessage() method. VPN errors are now displayed to txtVpnStatus TextView
- [ProMIND] Removed connection error layout. All VPN errors are now sent to the log and displayed to txtVpnStatus TextView
- [ProMIND] Class now implements EddieEventListener in order to manage VPN events on its own
- [ProMIND] Connection info box now shows OpenVPN profile name in OpenVPN profile connection mode

ConnectOpenVpnProfileFragment.java

- [ProMIND] Added ListView for stored OpenVPN profiles and made it fully Android TV compliant for dpad navigation
- [ProMIND] Added connectDatabaseOpenVPNProfile() for connecting a stored OpenVPN profile

connection_sequence.csv

- [ProMIND] Set a new connection sequence: second attempt is now TCP,443 instead of UDP,53 (which is now third)

CountryContinent.java

- [ProMIND] Load country list according to user locale setting

EddieBroadcastReceiver.java

- [ProMIND] Removed tryRestoreLastProfile(). To start the VPN at boot, this class now starts an intent of BootVPNActivity class

EddieEvent.java

- [ProMIND] Better concurrency support: events are now synchronized and use a local clone of EddieEventListener ArrayList

LogActivity.java

- [ProMIND] Added Android Fingerprint to log

MainActivity.java

- [ProMIND] updateConnectionStatus does not longer propagate VPNManager's events. VPNManager events are now properly managed by EddieEvent class
- [ProMIND] Implemented onSaveInstanceState() to save fragments' state
- [ProMIND] Implemented onRestoreInstanceState() to restore fragments' state
- [ProMIND] onAirVPNManifestChanged() check for manifest's broadcast messages and shows them to the user
- [ProMIND] Added setVpnManager() method in order to set vpnManager object in case the VPN is started by an external event, such as BootVPNActivity class
- [ProMIND] In case of unexpected OpenVPN disconnection, it retries to reconnect to the VPN when the user has set "VPN reconnection" in settings

- [ProMIND] Added ExtraInfo and SubtypeName to network description

OpenVPNTunnel.java

- [ProMIND] Changed networkStatusChanged() return type to void
- [ProMIND] VPN Lock is now engaged according to "VPN Lock" setting

QuickConnectFragment.java

- [ProMIND] AirVPN subscription expiration is now shown in network/vpn status box

SettingsActivity.java

- [ProMIND] Added VPN Lock setting
- [ProMIND] Added VPN reconnection setting
- [ProMIND] Added custom bootstrap setting
- [ProMIND] Added language selection setting
- [ProMIND] Added exclude local networks setting

SettingsManager.java

- [ProMIND] Added methods getAirVPNCountryWhitelist(), setAirVPNCountryWhitelist(), isAirVPNCountryWhitelisted(), getAirVPNCountryBlacklist(), setAirVPNCountryBlacklist(), isAirVPNCountryBlacklisted()
- [ProMIND] Added methods isVPNLockEnabled(), setVPNLock()
- [ProMIND] Added methods getSystemApplicationLanguage(), setSystemApplicationLanguage()
- [ProMIND] Added methods areLocalNetworksExcluded(), setExcludeLocalNetwork()

SupportTools.java

- [ProMIND] Added method runOnUiActivity()
- [ProMIND] Added methods saveXmlDocumentToFile() and loadXmlFileToDocument() to write and read plain XML files
- [ProMIND] Added method setLocale()
- [ProMIND] RequestAirVPNDocument(): add custom bootstrap servers to the top of server list in case user has set them in settings
- [ProMIND] Added methods for IP convertion: IPToLong() and longToIP()

VPN.java

- [ProMIND] Added CONNECTION_REVOKED_BY_SYSTEM status

VPNContext.java

- [ProMIND] ensureRoutes(): default routing is now added in case user has not selected local network exclusion

VPNManager.java

- [ProMIND] onStatusChanged() now conforms to EddieEvent class
- [ProMIND] unbindService() does not change VPN status anymore (managed by VPNService)
- [ProMIND] start() now checks for network connection and, in case it is not available, activates a pending connection status to be resumed as soon as the network connection becomes available.
- [ProMIND] createProfileBundle(): add proper route to OpenVPN profile for local network exclusion

VPNManagerListener.java

- [ProMIND] Class deleted. Event moved to EddieEvent.java

VPNService.java

- [ProMIND] Added MSG_REVOKE property to notify client (VPNMaganer) in case of system revocation
- [ProMIND] Removed Status enumerator. The class now conforms to VPN.Status enumerator
- [ProMIND] Removed redundant members vpnStatus and vpnLastError as they are managed by VPN class

Kind regards and datalove
AirVPN Staff

The app immediately crashes on launch for me. I cannot get it to open.

I'm using an Essential PH-1 running the latest stock Android 9.0.

I tried both the direct APK download and installing it from the Play Store. I also cleared the App data just in case as well.

Edit: I tested this on my LG G3 D851 running LineageOS 15.1 and it ran fine. While I can't confirm anything, I'm going to take a guess and say it has something to do with ARM64 support.

I tried both the direct APK download and installing it from the Play Store. I also cleared the App data just in case as well.

Edit: I tested this on my LG G3 D851 running LineageOS 15.1 and it ran fine. While I can't confirm anything, I'm going to take a guess and say it has something to do with ARM64 support.

Hello!

Thank you very much. Detected: a fix will be included in the next 2.1 beta 2 release. The problem pertains exclusively to Android 9.

Kind regards

Hello!

Thank you very much. Detected: a fix will be included in the next 2.1 beta 2 release. The problem pertains exclusively to Android 9.

Kind regards

That's good to hear. Normally don't ask this, but any ETA on when that will be? If it's not soon, can you add the patch to 2.1?

That's good to hear. Normally don't ask this, but any ETA on when that will be? If it's not soon, can you add the patch to 2.1?

Hello!

Yes, of course, the fix has been implemented and you will find it on Eddie 2.1 beta 2. The beta life cycle is quite fast so expect new releases in a matter of days. We can't promise a definite ETA for the next stage (public beta testing serves the purpose to find bugs which have been missed by the internal alpha testing team) but normally between the beta stage and the Release Candidate, or even the final, stable version, we talk about days or a week.

Kind regards

App stopped working for me on galaxy s9+ with android 9

App doesn't start, if I press the icon I get an error 'Eddie keeps stopping:

Edit

Sorry hadn't read the above, seems it will be solved in next version

Edit 2:

Works again

Hello!

To all of those running Android 9, can you please test the new 2.1 beta 2 and verify whether the issue has been resolved?

Thank you!

Kind regards

Posted ... (edited)

Eddie Android doesn't seem to be working for me since last Saturday.

It open and connects to servers fine, but IPLeak still shows my normal IP address and geo info.

OpenVPN for Android works fine however.

Edit:  running Android 7.0 on Galaxy S6 Edge.

Edited ... by YLwpLUbcf77U

It open and connects to servers fine, but IPLeak still shows my normal IP address and geo info.

Hello!

Log is necessary. Please take it while the problem is taking place. In the "Log" view you have a share icon which allows you to share the log in a varitey of ways including e-mail.

Kind regards

How is the server Eddie connects to selected?

Based on ping like Eddie for desktop? Or just overal best server based on Load?

I'm in Norway at the moment and it would make sense it connects to a Norwegian server but it connects to a server in the Netherlands.

I've not set a favorite country, only blocked Germany.

In the log I can see it detects me being in Norway but still connects me to a NL server, don't know why.

Edit: discovered there is an option that forbids to connect to a server in the same country so that explains

What is the reasoning behind selecting a NL server instead and not a let's say Swedish server?

Or if I'm outside Europe, eg South Africa, what server country will be selected and why?

Edit: discovered there is an option that forbids to connect to a server in the same country so that explains

What is the reasoning behind selecting a NL server instead and not a let's say Swedish server?

Hello!

Choosing a country different than your own is an old "golden rule" to operate in different jurisdictions to decrease the likelihood of wiretapping and correlations. The choice is up to you.

In mobile devices we can't rely on ICMP (ping can be unavailable, terribly slow or very misleading) so we have a set of rules between countries and continents which become a new variable in the equation to compute the rate of a server (all the other parameters for the calculation are handled outside Eddie).

Kind regards

Hello!

Log is necessary. Please take it while the problem is taking place. In the "Log" view you have a share icon which allows you to share the log in a varitey of ways including e-mail.

Kind regards

I sent my log file directly to AirVPN support since it was showing my real IP address.

Hi, just wanted to leave some feedback on the Android app:

- notifications: if I am not connected the app 'spams' notifications (inside the app), this can happen when going from one screen to another. They also stack so you can have 5-6 in a row, please a dismiss all or a new page like an 'action center'. I also don't need to know if I am connected/disconnected via an actionable notification. Can this be a panel instead saying 'not connected, insecure', maybe with a red border.

- reconnecting: If I want to connect to a new server I need to disconnect first, rather than simply tapping the server name, and clicking 'connect'. even long pressing and clicking connect tells me to disconnect first

- no quick settings tile: This is huge, I want a one tap connect in my status bar, openvpn for android has this and it's immensely useful, please can you register an intent or however it works?

- network lock, active? There's no way to know if network lock is working, Eddie on other platforms tells you, I am confused if it's doing anything because...

- not working on boot: when I started my device, the network was not locked, and Eddie made no effort to start itself, meaning my traffic was insecure. It seems according to settings only when you use an OpenVPN profile does it start on boot?

- no IP address: I'd like to see what my original IP is and connected IP and other stats similar to the desktop app.

other than that, this app is damn slick, reconnecting is lightning fast, kudos to PROMind and Air staff for making one of the best OpenVPN apps on android.

- not working on boot: when I started my device, the network was not locked, and Eddie made no effort to start itself, meaning my traffic was insecure. It seems according to settings only when you use an OpenVPN profile does it start on boot?

Sadly this is never going to happen due to the master password.

I advise you to turn on "Always on VPN" and "Block Connections Without VPN" to mitigate this in Android's settings to mitigate this.

Hi, just wanted to leave some feedback on the Android app:

Hello and thank you very much for your great feedback!

- notifications: if I am not connected the app 'spams' notifications (inside the app), this can happen when going from one screen to another. They also stack so you can have 5-6 in a row, please a dismiss all or a new page like an 'action center'. I also don't need to know if I am connected/disconnected via an actionable notification. Can this be a panel instead saying 'not connected, insecure', maybe with a red border.

This is entirely up to Android, anyway Android systems provide a dismiss all notifications button.

- reconnecting: If I want to connect to a new server I need to disconnect first, rather than simply tapping the server name, and clicking 'connect'. even long pressing and clicking connect tells me to disconnect first

Yes, this is by explicit design and meant to prevent unintended disconnections.

- no quick settings tile: This is huge, I want a one tap connect in my status bar, openvpn for android has this and it's immensely useful, please can you register an intent or however it works?

What you want requires an additional, persistent notification even when you are not connected to the VPN. We will consider similar features in the future.

- network lock, active? There's no way to know if network lock is working, Eddie on other platforms tells you, I am confused if it's doing anything because...

There is no network lock and it's impossible for any app to provide a network lock, unfortunately.

Reason is that you, Eddie and any other app (including of course OpenVPN for Android) are not in control of your device at root level, so you, Eddie and any other app can't modify anything on the system packet filtering table.

Eddie implements an exclusive, best effort leaks prevention, which operates once the connection is established. This method is much more effective than any other one implemented by any other OpenVPN based application. We can reproduce leaks with OpenVPN for Android or openvpn-connect which are successfully prevented by Eddie.

Exactly. This is a very important security feature. You can anyway operate at a lower security level, just like you do with OpenVPN for Android, by working with profiles which remain unencrypted. Starting from Eddie 2.1, you also have the option to export the settings for each VPN server or country in a profile, so you don't even need the Configuration Generator.

Also remember that, just like it happens with OpenVPN for Android, starting and connecting at boot is a best effort whose outcome can not be guaranteed 100% in Android (and any other system which is out of your control, obviously). Anyway after a massive amount of tests we see that wherever Eddie fails, OpenVPN for Android fails too. We have plans to even improve the current procedure but always remember that you operate a device which is not under your control.

- no IP address: I'd like to see what my original IP is and connected IP and other stats similar to the desktop app.

So far such features have been explicitly ruled out, we're sorry.  You have anyway a lot of other stats you can see at a glance in 2.1.

other than that, this app is damn slick, reconnecting is lightning fast, kudos to PROMind and Air staff for making one of the best OpenVPN apps on android.

Many thanks from ProMind!

Kind regards

Sadly this is never going to happen due to the master password.

Hello!

That's correct, and we would dare to say "gladly", and not "sadly". Since when additional security is such a sad thing?

By the way, starting from version 2.1, you can fall back to the lower security level offered by OpenVPN for Android.

I advise you to turn on "Always on VPN" and "Block Connections Without VPN" to mitigate this in Android's settings to mitigate this.

Be aware that such settings will allow traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel in a variety of circumstances.

Starting from version 2.1, in Eddie you can disable the VPN lock to have the identical behavior you have with OpenVPN for Android or openvpn-connect. However, such OpenVPN for Android and openvpn-connect settings are recommended only for those persons who don't care about traffic leaks and are happy to remain unaware of them (for example for a moderate/low risk threat model).

Kind regards

So far the beta is working much better than the older version. Old version would constantly disconnect with little warning and would get stuck, needing to have the app force closed. Was about to uninstall and go back to the regular OpenVPN app instead. 

Updated and AirVPN for Android is so far a success. Still not perfect with network changes (from wifi to mobile data) and will sometimes stop working, but luckily it stops all network traffic at that time.

Thanks! Please keep working on it. 

> This is entirely up to Android, anyway Android systems provide a dismiss all notifications button.

I was talking about the notifications in the app itself, such as "successfully connected" or "VPN has been paused", which can stack up over time (turn screen off, open the app and you'll need to dismiss a few in-app notifications, these are not put in the Android based notification center).

> Yes, this is by explicit design and meant to prevent unintended disconnections.

Can we get an option to reconnect if we long press please? It makes sense to disable it on a single tap, and would make changing servers that little bit quicker

> What you want requires an additional, persistent notification even when you are not connected to the VPN. We will consider similar features in the future.

Normally I hide the icon, yet to see unintended side effects but I appreciate you're at the mercy of Android and how it manages these processes.

> You can anyway operate at a lower security level

Is there anyway you can pester the user on boot? "psst, don't forget to connect to airvpn", even if it's not fully automatic it'd help ensure the user doesn't forget

One final thought: I noticed in the logs it makes a request to IPleaks, I'd prefer to make as few un-tunneled requests as possible, is that required? Or can you get the info some other way?

> Be aware that such settings will allow traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel in a variety of circumstances.

That IS interesting, can you explain more? Should that option built into Android not be used? I'd be surprised if an official setting lead to traffic leaks.

P.S two feature requests:

1: Fingerprint/biometric authentication for master database, Oreo provides an API for this (or was it Pie?)

2: A white/black list of apps to allow in the tunnel or not, maybe also particular routes/IPs that you can configure on desktop version.

> This is entirely up to Android, anyway Android systems provide a dismiss all notifications button.

I was talking about the notifications in the app itself, such as "successfully connected" or "VPN has been paused", which can stack up over time (turn screen off, open the app and you'll need to dismiss a few in-app notifications, these are not put in the Android based notification center).

Hello!

A possible workaround would be showing the dialog only when the app is in foreground. It needs an evaluation in the near future.

Is there anyway you can pester the user on boot? "psst, don't forget to connect to airvpn", even if it's not fully automatic it'd help ensure the user doesn't forget :)

It sounds very invasive and anyway it would be useless for the mentioned reasons: if Eddie can start and connect, it will do it, if it can't, it will not be able to throw any warning because either it's not running or can't evaluate the connection status properly before the boot has completed.

We remind you that you can start and connect Eddie automatically at boot with profiles. Check the proper option in the "Settings" view and connect via a profile.

If Eddie is running and connected to the VPN through an imported profile, Eddie will automatically start and re-connect through that last profile when you boot or reboot the device. As we explained, this is a best effort procedure: it's Android that decides WHEN to start an application which registered itself to start at boot. Additionally, manufacturers "boot managers" (which may run with high privileges) may cause sensational mess to the whole procedure, as we have ascertained on various Asus devices.

A profile can be generated directly from inside Eddie (for AirVPN), you don't need the Configuration Generator.

> Yes, this is by explicit design and meant to prevent unintended disconnections.

Can we get an option to reconnect if we long press please? It makes sense to disable it on a single tap, and would make changing servers that little bit quicker :)

Yes, something to make the whole process more comfortable is under consideration.

One final thought: I noticed in the logs it makes a request to IPleaks, I'd prefer to make as few un-tunneled requests as possible, is that required? Or can you get the info some other way?

It's a good way to determine automatically a "good" server for you as we can't rely on ICMP. ipleak.net is anyway completely under the control of AirVPN (server included, of course) and is a general purpose web site, massively used by hundred of thousand nodes.

> Be aware that such settings will allow traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel in a variety of circumstances.

That IS interesting, can you explain more? Should that option built into Android not be used? I'd be surprised if an official setting lead to traffic leaks.

The Android setting you refer to, available in Android 8 and higher versions, is not aimed to traffic leaks prevention even though a side effect is traffic leaks prevention in various circumstances. However leaks are always possible when an error occurs (for example comms to the server are lost) and OpenVPN throws the subsequent, critical error. During the re-connection attempts traffic leaks are possible and may persist until OpenVPN reconnects.. Eddie VPN lock, instead, will prevent those leaks, as you know.

P.S two feature requests:

1: Fingerprint/biometric authentication for master database, Oreo provides an API for this (or was it Pie?)

It will be considered, thanks.

2: A white/black list of apps to allow in the tunnel or not

It has been implemented since version 1.0, please find the various options in the "Settings" view. You can split traffic on an app white or black list basis:

• if you define an applications white list, only the apps in the white list will have their traffic tunneled
  • if you define an applications black list, the apps in the black list will have their traffic NOT tunneled

Traffic splitting on an IP addresses basis is currently not planned.

Kind regards

Thanks for the reply, no further comments in regards to that. However I did find an issue with the white/black list feature. Here's a logcat:

E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The content of the adapter has changed but ListView did not receive a notification. Make sure the content of your adapter is not modified from a background thread, but only from the UI thread. Make sure your adapter calls notifyDataSetChanged() when its content changes. [in ListView([removed], class android.widget.ListView) with Adapter(class org.airvpn.eddie.PackageChooserActivity$ApplicationsListAdapter)] 

The ticket has full information. This is a good time to ask for the ability to export/import settings from the app, like the desktop version's default.xml.

Also, I can't seem to access the local network (such as 192.168) even with that option selected inside eddie...This is likely an Android issue because if I turn "block connections without a VPN" off it loads the local network fine.

Glad to see the advances.

I tried to connect to a custom vpn with password authentication. I can enter "global" credentials in the options but I have several profiles with different credentials. How to get this to work?

Glad to see the advances.

I tried to connect to a custom vpn with password authentication. I can enter "global" credentials in the options but I have several profiles with different credentials. How to get this to work?

Hello!

Eddie 2.1 can keep multiple profiles (2.0.1 could handle one profile at a time), so you can import all the profiles you need.

For specific usage with other VPN services also contact that VPN service customers' care.

Kind regards

I have a major issue with Eddie where Eddie will just quit and the VPN connection will be removed.I assume it has something to do with giving up on the network connection, as it's still running and logged in in the background, but no traffic is being routed through it.

This is a major security issue as now I'm guaranteed to have traffic leaks from all my apps, and that probably would've happened had I not had "Block Connections Without VPN" enabled.

I have a major issue with Eddie where Eddie will just quit and the VPN connection will be removed.I assume it has something to do with giving up on the network connection, as it's still running and logged in in the background, but no traffic is being routed through it.

Hello!

It sounds like some crash at some level, do you have the option to send us a logcat? Does it happen with 2.1 beta 2 and not with 2.0.1? What are your exact device model and your Android version?

Kind regards