Not connected, Your IP: 3.142.36.183
Sign in to follow this  
Leepster

Dominating VPNs in the market - why no AirVPN?

I hope this is the right place to chat about this. Been notified about this article today: https://vpnpro.com/blog/vpn-market-share-overview/. I'm an AirVPN user and was kind of surprised there's no mention of AirVPN in this article at all. 

In my personal experience AirVPN hits all the buttons and I really enjoy the service and support i get from them, so it's just a little disappointing it's not on the list. Are there any global lists of VPN market share where we could see where AirVPN stands?

Hello!

Just keep in mind that we have not paid a cent to VPNPro reviews. It's a relevant information.

Additionally, this web site seems specialized in VPN for consumers' reviews, but it fails to mention even the most relevant facts for potential VPN customers.

Example: which VPN apps send your personal data to third parties without your knowledge and consent is in our opinion a key information, which is totally missing in the web site (check the review of NordVPN, for example: no mention of this fact, which is notorious and well documented, see for example https://www.kuketz-blog.de/android-nordvpn-uebermittelt-e-mail-adresse-an-tracking-anbieter ).

In general, we can confirm anytime that nowadays environment of "VPN reviews" web sites is a world mainly aimed to make easy money without any respect for the customer. VPNs are asked to pay for reviews, are asked to pay more for one more star, more visibility, higher rank in one out of dozens of categories, etc. etc. And obviously some of them are very happy to pay, because they do not have and decent code of conduct or any mission but maximizing profits.

The fact that AirVPN does not contribute to such disgusting practices is jut a consequence of its mission, even though nowadays it might even look like something to be proud of, instead of normal, honest behavior and good business practice.

Kind regards

Even Torrentfreak, which publishes its annual list, is not immense from its own bias towards PIA and the second in the list, because they pay to be there.

AirVPN can't be found on many review sites, and that's refreshing. If you want to judge the competence the easiest (and best) way is to look at the replies the staff leaves all over the forum. Look into their software (both Android and Windows) and judge for yourself. Air does many things right in this regard, although they are not perfect (such as relying on IPB for their forum software, and not having 2FA just yet), but they are open and honest about their mission and their security is undisputed.

You can't say the same about every provider.

I will not comment on this specific article, since it's not about the best but the most popular VPNs. And I don#t know if Air VPN has a large market share or not. But I'd like to comment on "best VPNs"-reviews in general. 

Air is certainly one of the very best VPN services out there (if not the best). Neither Air nor those few other VPNs which I consider to be both very trustworthy and very competent are at the top in reviews. Further, it seems that most or all of them are small or, at best, middle sized.

I have observed some VPN review sites and found that those VPNs that have much advertisements there are also those that get top reviews and are recommended, and I’m skeptical that this is noting but coincidence. Just have a look for yourself.

Hello!

Just keep in mind that we have not paid a cent to VPNPro reviews. It's a relevant information.

Additionally, this web site seems specialized in VPN for consumers' reviews, but it fails to mention even the most relevant facts for potential VPN customers.

Example: which VPN apps send your personal data to third parties without your knowledge and consent is in our opinion a key information, which is totally missing in the web site (check the review of NordVPN, for example: no mention of this fact, which is notorious and well documented, see for example https://www.kuketz-blog.de/android-nordvpn-uebermittelt-e-mail-adresse-an-tracking-anbieter ).

In general, we can confirm anytime that nowadays environment of "VPN reviews" web sites is a world mainly aimed to make easy money without any respect for the customer. VPNs are asked to pay for reviews, are asked to pay more for one more star, more visibility, higher rank in one out of dozens of categories, etc. etc. And obviously some of them are very happy to pay, because they do not have and decent code of conduct or any mission but maximizing profits.

The fact that AirVPN does not contribute to such disgusting practices is jut a consequence of its mission, even though nowadays it might even look like something to be proud of, instead of normal, honest behavior and good business practice.

Kind regards

Thanks for the response! I actually had a look around VPNpro website and found a review of AirVPN: https://vpnpro.com/vpn-reviews/airvpn-review/ which isn't exactly bad, they seem to confirm there were no leakages during tests and stuff like that. I wrote a comment too and asked them to revisit this review and update it as AirVPN surely deserves a better score, the comment is awaiting moderation though. I hope they'll confirm it and will give you a score you deserve. 

Big ups for a good service.

If you search for "airvpn" and "review", you will find some reviews, and most are (very) positive. Many review sties seem to be fair enough to give a high score to a good service, even if this service will NOT pay.

However, most sites will NOT include such a not-paying service in their top recommendations, it seems. They rather will recommend services that are not better but pay for advertisement.

The "Online Sessions: 14092" at 0200UTC on  a Thursday seems a typical count over the last few months, so some sort of steady plateau of subscribers.

I am happy to use a more premium service than the "ignorant masses" exposed to dodgy reviews and promotions. Less noise and complaints from ill maintained systems with odd network or installation issues and weird problems, and less "Unlimited Internet" users running 4K streaming and max bandwidth bittorrent, possibly to keep the goldfish amused while they are at work.

I do see some situations where AirVPN could selectively target some more users.

eg: https://linuxmint.com/

has an front page ad for PIA which is not a big expense, and has more tech savvy readers who may recommend to others.

AirVPN does not need to advertise, clearly they have done well so far. PIA has issues because it's "the" VPN provider everyone knows (because of heavy advertising). AirVPN chooses to invest their time and money in their infrastructure rather than getting maximum profits and it shows.

PIA has "loads" of rubbish servers, probably just cloud instances they scale up/down as required with a script to configure the server, whereas Air has invested in high quality servers and providers and added features like IPv6 and tls-crypt rather than spending customers money buying ads.

Trust me, if AirVPN had more users the quality of the service would decease, because PIA was well known Cloudflare decided "hey, let's show you a recaptcha on all our hosted websites". And Cloudflare hosts a _lot_.

Hence why you'd want to investigate other providers, and Air pretty much ticks all the boxes.