Not connected, Your IP: 3.236.247.213
Sign in to follow this  
cdysthe

Frequent VPN error messages on Android.

Hi,

I keep getting VPN Errors on Android which I guess can happen (although not as often as I am getting them). This happens once every one or two hours. What makes it difficult is that the connection gets locked and no apps can connect to anything. When this happens all I get is a normal notification and it often takes a while until I see it. In the meantime I am not getting mail and messages. Screenshot below. What could these VPN errors be and it is anything I can do to prevent and limit them? 

I'm on Android 8.1 with Eddie 2.0.1

This is a known issue and the ability to disable VPN locking should be included in the next version. A beta version is expected to be released soon.

This is a known issue and the ability to disable VPN locking should be included in the next version. A beta version is expected to be released soon.

Great! Again, this client is so close to perfect on Android. I will look for the beta.

Hello!

We remind you that this is NOT an issue: each time you have a lock, Eddie has saved you from a traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel. When OpenVPN can't maintain a connection, a common and expected problem in mobility, it can't do anything but quitting and trying to re-connect. Here Eddie enters into play and "saves your ass". No other OpenVPN app has a similar, best effort leak prevention.

Keep in mind that no high privilege is allowed to Eddie, so a real leak prevention based on system packet filtering table is not possible (you are not in control of Android lower layer), so this trick is the leaks prevention best effort currently available in Android apps ecosystem.

We confirm that next Eddie version will offer the option to disable the lock, which will be useful to those who don't care about traffic leaks. When VPN lock feature is disabled, Eddie will simply try to reconnect just like any other OpenVPN based app does, and you will be able to have all the traffic leaks you wish.

Kind regards

Seems like the culprit is switching between networks, either from one wi-fi network to another or from wi-fi to LTE and back. I guess that handover is a challenge for a VPN client, especially without leaking at all. I am looking forward to the beta. 

Seems like the culprit is switching between networks, either from one wi-fi network to another or from wi-fi to LTE and back. I guess that handover is a challenge for a VPN client, especially without leaking at all. I am looking forward to the beta. 

Hello!

That's actually unexpected. Switching networks (even from WiFi to LTE and vice-versa) must not cause problems to Eddie and must not, in general, trigger a lock. Eddie receives the correct messages pertaining to network switching by Android. First Eddie pauses the VPN, and when the new network is operational a new connection is established from the previous paused status, so no leak occurs and no VPN lock is necessary.

The above is confirmed by countless tests by us and by testers on a multitude of different devices and Android versions, so when/if you have time, might you send us Eddie log taken just after the problem you mention has occurred?

Kind regards

I got the new Android Beta yesterday. It's a whole new ballgame! The connections are solid and stays up. I have had my current connection since noon yesterday and it's still going.. I will keep texting it but I think that there's mostly UI and usability issues left and not too many of those either (wrote about those elsewhere on this forum). Thank you for great work. I can now enjoy the rest of my two years of AirVPN on my phone also

I got the new Android Beta yesterday. It's a whole new ballgame! The connections are solid and stays up. I have had my current connection since noon yesterday and it's still going.. I will keep texting it but I think that there's mostly UI and usability issues left and not too many of those either (wrote about those elsewhere on this forum). Thank you for great work. I can now enjoy the rest of my two years of AirVPN on my phone also :)

Do you mean that you keep VPN lock on and you notice increased stability?

Kind regards