Not connected, Your IP: 3.92.84.196

Hi team

A question to users as I didn't receive a useful response or any solution from support.

I have a perfectly good download speed - close to my speed outside the tunnel.

However, my upload speed is at best 1/5th of my speed outside the tunnel. Averaging 1/10th of speed outside tunnel.

This is via my home network and also tested via 3G/4G on a mobile connection to AIR. Again averaging 1/10th speed outside tunnel so that discounts local system setup.

Either the ISP is throttling upload but not download (they say they aren't and other users on same ISP do not report issues) or it is on the AIR side.

Have updated all drivers, tried every protocol, turned off firewall and AV,  Adjusted OPENVPN parameters and tried various MTU pushes etc, tried different servers.

I've used a trial from another VPN provider and getting expected upload speeds but want to stay with AIR for various reasons.

Anything else worth trying ?

Try in protocol section, tier 2 or 4 servers.

Hi

Thanks but as I said in my post, I have tried every protocol option - had no impact on upload speed. A few had a negative impact on download speed though.

I'd very much welcome more info on your setup. Some general info about your hardware, OS, versions, etc, things written into OpenVPN's logfile. I also wouldn't leave out information on your ISP and plan, maybe the router hardware you're using. There are running issues mostly with cable providers around the world like Vodafone in Germany and Virgin in UK but also Comcast in US.

After that, maybe we can help you much futher.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

what is your custom options set too?   send and receive buffers?   are you using fast UDP I/0?

Hi there

Custom options ?

What in particular ?

If you mean directives, have only used mssfix without success.

Buffers - tried every combination. No impact.

Using UDP. Have tried all protocol options.

I get the same issue using iOS, Windows, android, across 5 devices, both wired, wireless and external to my netowrk using 3g/4g.

So, not network or system dpendant.

I'd very much welcome more info on your setup. Some general info about your hardware, OS, versions, etc, things written into OpenVPN's logfile. I also wouldn't leave out information on your ISP and plan, maybe the router hardware you're using. There are running issues mostly with cable providers around the world like Vodafone in Germany and Virgin in UK but also Comcast in US.

After that, maybe we can help you much futher.

Hi - unfortunately, much of that is not something I am willing to share on an open forum. That info has been shared in a support request with AIR. There only suggestion was to try another protocol - entry-IP 3 , protocol TCP, port 443.

This had no impact on upload AND negatively impacted download.

Using another VPN provider, test account, I am not seeing any upload impact which to me suggests an issue with AIR or AIR interaction with the ISP I use across devices ? Support suggestion didn't help.

I want to stay with AIR for a number of reasons but this impact on upload is a real pressure point for my usage needs.

Can you paste the contents of the OpenVPN configuration you use with the other provider(s) sans all the keys and certs?

Sent via Tapatalk.

Can you paste the contents of the OpenVPN configuration you use with the other provider(s) sans all the keys and certs?

Sent via Tapatalk.

It is not OpenVPN based.

I’ll try another provider that uses OpenVPN in a few days.

What puzzles me is this very slow upload occurs across devices and OS and networks.

The only thing in common is AIR

Outside the tunnel - 30-35 Mbps

Inside the tunnel - 2-5 Mbps

Download speed not impacted by the tunnel

If you are not testing with OpenVPN, your results are incomparable and therefore AirVPN cannot take the blame. OpenVPN traffic is different from IPsec or PPTP, and it's not unusual that OpenVPN is processed different by ISPs or IP transit providers than othee protocols. Do your tests with a provider offering OpenVPN and report back, please

Sent via Tapatalk.

If you are not testing with OpenVPN, your results are incomparable and therefore AirVPN cannot take the blame. OpenVPN traffic is different from IPsec or PPTP, and it's not unusual that OpenVPN is processed different by ISPs or IP transit providers than othee protocols. Do your tests with a provider offering OpenVPN and report back, please

Sent via Tapatalk.

So you are saying this is ISP related only ?

I’ll try VPN.AC today, who are rated highly here as a provider (although no port forwarding)

Looks like I’ll need to transition to another VPN if it is ISP related, given the solution from support didn’t have an impact

Local users on VPN.AC report excellent upload on the same ISP I use. Must be something in AIR config that impacts speeds in my location.

The most popular providers here are VPN.AC, Express, NORD. AIR rarely gets a mention.

A friend set me up with AIR many years ago but it is only since I’ve been on fibre recently that I’ve started to feel the impact of speed restraints.

Thanks for the responses though.

So you are saying this is ISP related only ?

No, I'm not. As you don't provide info on your setup, we don't have much to work with, though.

Local users on VPN.AC report excellent upload on the same ISP I use. Must be something in AIR config that impacts speeds in my location.

Yeah, let's first examine whether we can say something like this, shall we? How come this beautifully works for 10,000+ clients while it doesn't for you? Can you still say it's all AirVPN's fault?

Everyone can write anything on the internet. They don't share your setup. The only thing that can help you is testing it all yourself. We all can help you with that, as we helped numerous other users to get the most out of AirVPN, but you're not off to a good start here if you don't provide info we can work with. So you see, most things are on you.

I'm not offending you. I'm just trying to help, sometimes it requires a bit of drilling.

I did say ‘my location’, I’m not implying this impacts everyone, clearly it doesn’t.

I had a support request in and a solution was offered by AIR.

It didn’t do anything. Logs and setup were provided.

I posted in the general forum hoping another user may have also noticed a similar situation.

Perhaps with a solution that AIR didn’t provide.

Location is Australia. Upload speed issue for past few years.

Windows 7, Windows 10, iOS, Android.

Desktop, laptop, two iPhones and iPad and a Samsung phone

100/40 fibre (wired and wifi) and 3G/4G

All AV disabled during testing.

I did say ‘my location’, I’m not implying this impacts everyone, clearly it doesn’t.

Oh, okay. Sorry.

Just tested Express on my iPhone connected to my network using their 7 day trial.

Upload speed in tunnel is 80% of speed outside tunnel. Download matches AIR speed.

Wow.

Unsure if they use OpenVPN but will read up.

If they use OpenVPN, I’ll post the log.

Edit - they do use OpenVPN. Will try and post log later today from my desktop

Edit 2 - just figured out the issue. Server location distance from my location

I’ve never been able to test a local server via AIR as they don’t have one

Express via AU server super fast with little loss. Express via same server location I use for AIR, upload impacted although download still good

So, not ISP or my network related it seems but why download versus upload variation ?