Not connected, Your IP: 44.201.131.213

Hello,

I want to use Air VPN to establish remote access to my Raspberry PI 2b+ from internet.

Should I just install Air VPN client, and do port forwarding on my router?

What about IP address? It will change every time I connect device to server?

I was looking for instruction / suggestions how to do it, but I didn't found the answer.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

I want to use Air VPN to establish remote access to my Raspberry PI 2b+ from internet.

This is not what AirVPN is here for. If you want remote access you'd install an OpenVPN server on the RasPi and connect to it from anywhere you want. If you need help with this, someone around here can surely offer help.

But even if you want to use AirVPN, there is a way: Install an OpenVPN client on the RasPi, connect to AirVPN with it, then forward the port you wish to access your RasPi on on the port forwarding page in the client area (don't forward on your router, please) and while you do that, set a DDNS name so it's easier to access your Pi. If you want to do this instead, just say the word and someone will come up with a guide for you to follow.

I'd recommend going through Mr. LZ1's New User guide for links to some guides.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

This is not what AirVPN is here for. If you want remote access you'd install an OpenVPN server on the RasPi and connect to it from anywhere you want. If you need help with this, someone around here can surely offer help.

But even if you want to use AirVPN, there is a way: Install an OpenVPN client on the RasPi, connect to AirVPN with it, then forward the port you wish to access your RasPi on on the port forwarding page in the client area (don't forward on your router, please) and while you do that, set a DDNS name so it's easier to access your Pi. If you want to do this instead, just say the word and someone will come up with a guide for you to follow.

I'd recommend going through Mr. LZ1's New User guide for links to some guides.

Thanks for reply.

But will I have any limitations using AirVPN for this purpose?

AirVPN allow to forward ports, connection will be encrypted, I can connect up to 5 devices.

So I think that's a good way to connect RasPi in this way, am I correct?

And what about IP address, it will be stable if I always connect to one server?

But will I have any limitations using AirVPN for this purpose?

1. Ports are reserved for users, so you cannot always use your favorite port numbers. In this case you wouldn't need a specific port but still need to find a port number you can remember.
  2. Everything you do goes through the internet to the AirVPN server and from there through the internet to your home. Using your own OpenVPN server, you'd go directly to your home, so it lengthens your path a bit.

Everyone's got their own opinion on whether this plays a role in latency or doesn't matter at all. My take on this is that you are in full control of the direct connection while you don't control the AirVPN server. If it's down, you can't do anything but to reconfigure. If you want to do remote desktop, I'd say direct via your OpenVPN is a wee bit better.

3. The AirVPN way will save you from configuring everything on your own, while you need to configure your OpenVPN server from scratch and are fully resonsible for when you can't connect.
  4. A second connection to AirVPN might simply kill off DDNS functionality so you'd need to remember the IP address to connect to your RasPi as well for fallback. It's noted on the port forwarding page, however.

And what about IP address, it will be stable if I always connect to one server?

Exit IPs are shared and remain for as long as the server lives.

Thanks again for reply.

Everyone's got their own opinion on whether this plays a role in latency or doesn't matter at all. My take on this is that you are in full control of the direct connection while you don't control the AirVPN server. If it's down, you can't do anything but to reconfigure. If you want to do remote desktop, I'd say direct via your OpenVPN is a wee bit better.

Everything you do goes through the internet to the AirVPN server and from there through the internet to your home. Using your own OpenVPN server, you'd go directly to your home, so it lengthens your path a bit.

If I wanted to make my own OpenVPN server to establish direct connection will I need stable IP address?

In my case I don't have this functionality.

No, just a stable DNS name (DDNS) and a method to automatically update it with your new IPs. nsupdate.info is a FOSS, ad-free and feature-rich DDNS service that may fit your need very well. If you need help with configuring it just say the word.

Sent via Tapatalk.