Not connected, Your IP: 18.191.11.208
VPN44

Eddie Crashes/Disappears

Hi, I'm using Eddie version 2.16.3 (used the Join & Download link, picked Windows 10, 64 bit and installer). I'm running Windows 10. Within Eddie I have the Automatic protocol checked and I believe all other settings are default except Network Lock is checked. I've noticed that while running utorrent overnight with Eddie connected, when I look at the screen the next morning utorrent is still running however Eddie is no longer running. Not just is it not connected, the Eddie program is not even running nor is it in the taskbar. This has happened to me several times. I'm not sure if this is a setting I have wrong or if there is some sort of conflict in the system. Maybe Eddie gets overloaded by the number of connections and crashes. Even though I have Network Lock checked, the next morning Eddie is not operating and utorrent is still connected and I"m seeding out in the open. Any suggestions?

Hello!

It does happen that the Eddie UI disappears - I've had it happen many times. But just know that this doesn't necessarily mean you were seeding out in the open, as the firewall rules might've still been in effect. Which I'm actually very confident they still would've been, in your case and that would've been why you were still seeing the seeding going on, because the Network Lock rules were still in effect. Even though I of course can't say with 100% certainty. This is also why it's a good idea to ensure the torrent client is bound to the VPN tun. I don't know if this is still an option in uTorrent, but if not, you can use the FOSS qBittorent client. You could download the testtorrent from ipleak.net in cases like these, in order to check your IP.

My first suggestion would be to try the experimental client, as one is available. For details regarding how-to, please refer to the guide in my signature.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

Also keep in mind that even when Eddie disappears, OpenVPN might be running fine anyway. So if you had Network Lock enabled and you saw traffic flowing, the most plausible explanation is that OpenVPN was still running and Network Lock was on.

Of course it is possible that some other program running with administrator privileges modifies the firewall rules and "cancels" the Network Lock, but such an event can be prevented only by the system owner.

Kind regards

Thank you both. A few follow up questions if you don't mind.

Regarding utorrent binding to the VPN tunnel, I did some googling about that and I think utorrent can do it based on no_step's comment to "In advanced, change net.bind_ip to the local IP of the TAP9 adapter". I found that setting in utorrent,but I do I know the local IP of the TAP adapter? Also is it always the same or does it change every time I connect Eddie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VPNTorrents/comments/9aqdnl/what_is_the_best_way_to_bind_vpn_connection_to/

What can I do to check that I am still encrypted next time I notice that Eddie is gone?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise!

If I can allow for some cheekyness, the best way would be to switch to a decent torrent client that allows for the option out of the box, instead of the apparently more difficult way that uTorrent allows for . As I don't use that client, I can't help you. So someone else will have to. It shouldn't be necessary with any IP-anything for the bind to work. The biggest hurdle should only be what each individual client happens to call the VPN tunnel .

And yes it stays the same.

I already answered you regarding your last question: ipleak.net is a way to check. Download the test torrent, then wait for the website to display the IP. If it's an Air IP, you're fine.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Good info, thanks LZ1. I switched over to qBittorrent as you suggested. I"m looking for the setting you linked to earlier.

qBittorents Tools/Preferences>Advanced>Bind to Tun0 interface

The first option in there is Network Interface which allows me to pick Any Interface, Ethernet 2, Ethernet 1, Bluetooth Network Connection 3, Loopback Psuedo-Interface 1.

If I view my network properties in Windows 10 it shows Ethernet 2's description as TAP-Windows Adapter V9 so I'm assuming I'm setting qBT Network Interface to Ethernet 2, yes?

The second option in qBT Advanced Preferences is Optional IP Address to bind to (requires restart) and includes options for All Addresses, and then the IPv4 and two IPv6 addresses to Ethernet 2. Am I supposed to set on of this as well? 

Any other settings in qBT that need to be changed? I'm noticing the connection status indicator at the bottom of the program window says no direct connections so I'm guessing there must be a port forwarding issue. I'll have to read through the guides in your signature to figure that out.

I haven't used it in Windows in a long time. But you're unto the right thing: Ethernet 2 and the optional bind should be fine.

Assuming you did the remote port-forwarding on this site, you need to set the port in the client as well. The same thing you presumably did in uTorrent.

Just found these pages from a few hops from your signature (thanks for providing all of that info) and setting it up now. Included these links for anyone else that ever runs across these because I found them very helpful. So yes I just forwarded a random TCP only port from Air, went to connection settings in qBT and changed the enabled protocol to TCP only, pasted in the random Air generated port and unchecked the Use UPnP box. Everything appears to be working now.

https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/

https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

Back to the Optional IP Address Bind. You recommend setting that as well as Network Interface? If I select Ethernet 2 as Network Interface, the Optional IP Address to bind looks to down select to just the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on Ethernet 2. Is there any benefit to selecting one of them or just leaving it to all addresses? The documentation (linked below) just give a TBA for this field.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Explanation-of-Options-in-qBittorrent#Advanced