Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.172.94
hbs

AirDNS stopped working unexpectedly after two months of use on pfSense

Hi cr00, thanks for replying.

My internet connection is working (although I had to relate to you guys that Netflix USA is being geo-blocked on my Fire TV, Nvidia Shield. Is not working anymore. But this is a side note) but If I reboot. it is gone. My settings are identical to yours on the DNS Resolver. 

I discovered that if I reenable DNSSEC, reboot and the re-disable DNSSEC it works again. It is ludicrous. But at least it is working. I found easier just to reload a saved configuration.

Since I am not so sure it is working 100% as it is now, because of the issue with Netflix (Well who knows maybe it is working for other people and this is just a strange week for me) I will try to re-config later. To see if I missed some step on the community pfsense guide.

Netflix does not work on any android or LG tv on my  Air Tunnel either. But a device going through the WAN using Eddie DOES work...    in the 3 years i've used Pfsense i have not been able to figure it out with Airvpn. it does not work with ProtonVpn for the trial i used with them either with Pfsense.     so this is not a Air or Proton issue its a configuration issue

Pfsense is SO complicated...   

Netflix does not work on any android or LG tv on my  Air Tunnel either. But a device going through the WAN using Eddie DOES work...    in the 3 years i've used Pfsense i have not been able to figure it out with Airvpn. it does not work with ProtonVpn for the trial i used with them either with Pfsense.     so this is not a Air or Proton issue its a configuration issue

Hello!

A possible explanation is related to the DNS settings of the device behind the pfSense box. Keep in mind that in order to access Netflix USA the device must query Air VPN DNS. Any device will not necessarily query the DNS set in pfSense, obviously. On top of that, some devices such as the Roku 3 have hard coded DNS (an old version of Roku queries Google DNS for example). In such cases you need to pre-route (re-direct) any DNS query from any device to AirVPN DNS through the tun interface (you can't reach VPN DNS from outside the tunnel).

Kind regards

Hello!

A possible explanation is related to the DNS settings of the device behind the pfSense box. Keep in mind that in order to access Netflix USA the device must query Air VPN DNS. Any device will not necessarily query the DNS set in pfSense, obviously. On top of that, some devices such as the Roku 3 have hard coded DNS (an old version of Roku queries Google DNS for example). In such cases you need to pre-route (re-direct) any DNS query from any device to AirVPN DNS through the tun interface (you can't reach VPN DNS from outside the tunnel).

Kind regards

Hi Staff,

Is there a tutorial on how we can redirect DNS to AirVPNs through the tun interface?

Or maybe if you can elaborate with more info. I like the sound of that. I'd like to give a try.

Please,let us know

Hello!

Kind regards

Hi Staff,

Is there a tutorial on how we can redirect DNS to AirVPNs through the tun interface?

Or maybe if you can elaborate with more info. I like the sound of that. I'd like to give a try.

Please,let us know

I managed to get Netflix working with pfsense, using Unbound (DNS Resolver).

Services > DNS resolver > General Settings

1. Network Interfaces should only have localhost and your LAN highlighted

2. Outgoing network interfaces should only include all of your VPN interfaces. In my case there are 3 different AirVPN interfaces

3. System domain local type: Transparent

4. DNSSEC: unchecked

5. DNS Query forwarding: unchecked

6. DHCP resgistration: checked

7. Static DHCP: Checked

8. Custom options:

forward-zone:

name: "."

forward-addr: 10.4.0.1

System > General Setup

DNS Servers 10.4.0.1 Gateway None

Hope this helps.

Hello!

Kind regards

Hi Staff,

Please,let us know

I managed to get Netflix working with pfsense, using Unbound (DNS Resolver).

Services > DNS resolver > General Settings

1. Network Interfaces should only have localhost and your LAN highlighted

2. Outgoing network interfaces should only include all of your VPN interfaces. In my case there are 3 different AirVPN interfaces

3. System domain local type: Transparent

4. DNSSEC: unchecked

5. DNS Query forwarding: unchecked

6. DHCP resgistration: checked

7. Static DHCP: Checked

8. Custom options:

forward-zone:

name: "."

forward-addr: 10.4.0.1

System > General Setup

DNS Servers 10.4.0.1 Gateway None

Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying it.

I followed your guidelines but still can't make it work on my Nvidia Shield or Roku Ultra. I'm being blocked with that damn message.

On Outgoing network interfaces, I only have two interfaces linked to AirVPN (they were created following the community guide provided by AirVPN) 

This is my DNS resolver config.

I wonder. On what devices have you been able to get Netflix working?

I only use Netflix through Chrome Browser on computers and on PS4.

I only use Netflix through Chrome Browser on computers and on PS4.

On Web Browsers, it works for me. But I wanted to make it run on any streaming device like some comments implied on the thread announcement about Netflix at this forum.

Thanks for your reply. 

I believe is not possible to do what  I wanted to do. At least for now.

I pretty sure I am redirecting all traffic to AirVPN DNS.