Not connected, Your IP: 52.90.40.84
Staff

Eddie Android edition 2.0.1 released

Hello!

We're glad to inform you that Eddie Android edition 2.0.1 has been released.

Please go back to Eddie Android 2.0 thread for details, references, discussion etc.

https://airvpn.org/topic/30774-eddie-android-edition-20-released/

Version 2.0.1 ensures improved Android TV compatibility and is compliant to strict Google Play Store rules pertaining to Android TV. Moreover, an important change to manage VpnService intent and a minor bug fix have been implemented. Please see the changelog for details.

Changelog 2.0.1 (VC 14) - Release date: 30 November 2018 by ProMIND

- [ProMIND] Created MainTVActivity class for Android TV leanback launcher
- [ProMIND] Renamed class AboutActivity.java to WebViewerActivity.java. This new class is now used for external web sites and local html document to be shown within the app

MainActivity.java
- [ProMIND] Replaced start intent of external web browser with WebViewerActivity class in order to make the app compliant with Google's Android TV requirements

VPNService.java
- [ProMIND] complete rewrite of onBind() method in order to properly manage VpnService intents

Kind regards

Hello,

I can't install Eddie on my Mi Box device. Can you make it compatible?

Hello!

Eddie has been tested and runs fine on a range of Android TV based systems, including Amazon Fire TV stick, nVidia Shield TV and Sony Bravia TV sets. Which issue have you experienced?

Kind regards

Profile option within 'AirVPN Server Settings' values are reversed when connecting from AIRVPN SERVER -tab

However the QUICK CONNECT -tab Profile option shows correctly in CONNECTION -tab.

For example: when set to 'Mobile Phone' it shows up as 'Laptop' in CONNECTION -tab. And when set as 'Laptop' it shows as 'Mobile Phone'. The values are reversed.

Hello!

We can't reproduce the issue: we see no difference between "Quick" and "Server" connection views reports. However we are not sure we have understood correctly what you mean. Would you like to elaborate?

Kind regards

This has now been resolved in version 2.0.1. Correct profiles now showing in "Quick" and "Server" connection views reports and is correct even in the account "Client Area"

I searched Eddie on nVidia Shield's Google Play Store but I could not find it.

Hello,

Hello!

Eddie has been tested and runs fine on a range of Android TV based systems, including Amazon Fire TV stick, nVidia Shield TV and Sony Bravia TV sets. Which issue have you experienced?

Kind regards

Didn't know an Android app had been released. Excellent stuff.

When I look up AirVPN, Eddie doesn't come up. And on the play store website, it says it's incompatible.

I searched Eddie on nVidia Shield's Google Play Store but I could not find it.

Hello,

Hello!

Kind regards

Hello!

The app is fully compatible with Google rules for Android TV but it needs to be approved. Quality check may take from 2 hours to several days according to our experience. In the meantime you can easily side load the application after you have downloaded it from our repository.

Kind regards

I keep getting an error after a while. Happens when my phone is idle and maybe goes to deep sleep to save on battery.

Error is:

OpenVPN3 KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT: Eddie Library Session Invalidated: KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT

Persistent notification and tunnel are on. Pause VPN when screen is off is disabled.

How do I fix this so the session is kept for as long as possible.

I keep getting an error after a while. Happens when my phone is idle and maybe goes to deep sleep to save on battery.

Error is:

OpenVPN3 KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT: Eddie Library Session Invalidated: KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT

Persistent notification and tunnel are on. Pause VPN when screen is off is disabled.

Hello!

The KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT error is not recoverable since it implies a lack of communication between client and server higher than the maximum alive time (60 seconds in our service). After this error OpenVPN exits, so Eddie must lock before it's too late (i.e. before traffic starts to leak outside the VPN tunnel).

Enable "Pause VPN when the screen is off" to enhance likelihood to not force lock in mobility.

Kind regards

Enable "Pause VPN when the screen is off" to enhance likelihood to not force lock in mobility.

Will this cause traffic to leak when the screen is off?

Hello!

No, it will not.

Kind regards

Error is:

This happens between 5-15 times a day for me. Glad I'm not the only one. I've been going back and forth with air support on this too... We'll see if we can debug.

This happens between 5-15 times a day for me. Glad I'm not the only one. I've been going back and forth with air support on this too... We'll see if we can debug.

Hello!

The KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT error is not recoverable since it implies a lack of communication between client and server higher than the maximum alive time (60 seconds in our service). After this error OpenVPN exits, so Eddie must lock before it's too late (i.e. before traffic starts to leak outside the VPN tunnel). If you have this event 5-15 times a day, then Eddie saves you from traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel 5-15 times a day.

Kind regards

Hello!

The KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT error is not recoverable since it implies a lack of communication between client and server higher than the maximum alive time (60 seconds in our service). After this error OpenVPN exits, so Eddie must lock before it's too late (i.e. before traffic starts to leak outside the VPN tunnel). If you have this event 5-15 times a day, then Eddie saves you from traffic leaks outside the VPN tunnel 5-15 times a day.

Kind regards

That makes sense but the android is level VPN settings "always on VPN" and "block connections without VPN" seem to accomplish the same feature right? I've been using this with OpenVpn for Android and I'm conceptual getting the same leak protection without the manual intervention to reconnect.

Let me know if Eddie is preventing more leaks than my above solution.

That makes sense but the android is level VPN settings "always on VPN" and "block connections without VPN" seem to accomplish the same feature right? I've been using this with OpenVpn for Android and I'm conceptual getting the same leak protection without the manual intervention to reconnect.

Let me know if Eddie is preventing more leaks than my above solution.

Hello!

Eddie can't count on the options you mention since it must prevent leaks even in Android versions older than 8 (from 5.1 to 7.x).

However, if you can start a VPN application at boot, the options you mention (in Android 8 or higher versions), when active and when the VPN application had already started at boot and never terminated during device usage (otherwise the block will not work anymore), should ensure an equivalent leaks prevention.

We need a deeper experimental testing to confirm or deny. Currently we can not say with absolute certainty that your described setup leaks prevention is equally effective than Eddie lock method.

Eddie can start at boot, when "Restore last profile at boot" is active, so the Android 8 new VPN related options umbrella can cover Eddie as well, but of course Eddie will super-impose its own communications lock in case of fatal OpenVPN connection error.

Kind regards

Does the Quick connect feature detect whether or not a certain connection protocol is blocked?  Because at locations where UDP is blocked, Eddie will always try to connect via UDP and not fall back to TCP.

Also I've never had "Restore Last Profile At Boot" work.

Does the Quick connect feature detect whether or not a certain connection protocol is blocked?  Because at locations where UDP is blocked, Eddie will always try to connect via UDP and not fall back to TCP.

Hello!

With quick connect as well as manual server choice Eddie must fall back to TCP when UDP is blocked, provided that the user did not force UDP in the settings. Specifically, Eddie must try a connection over TCP to ports 443 if attempts in UDP to port 443 and 53 have failed. Can you please make sure that you have not forced custom configuration in "Settings" view? Please feel free to report back.

About "Restore last profile at boot", can you also tell us your device and Android version?

Kind regards

Hello!

With quick connect as well as manual server choice Eddie must fall back to TCP when UDP is blocked, provided that the user did not force UDP in the settings. Specifically, Eddie must try a connection over TCP to ports 443 if attempts in UDP to port 443 and 53 have failed. Can you please make sure that you have not forced custom configuration in "Settings" view? Please feel free to report back.

About "Restore last profile at boot", can you also tell us your device and Android version?

Kind regards

I have an Essential PH-1  running Android Pie.

I have not forced any custom configuration in the Quick Settings. If I had, it would've connected with TCP.

I notice that using Chromecast doesn’t work while connected with this app. It does however work using the Open VPN Connect app and AirVPN config files. Any way of getting Eddie Android to do the same?

I notice that using Chromecast doesn’t work while connected with this app. It does however work using the Open VPN Connect app and AirVPN config files. Any way of getting Eddie Android to do the same?

Hello!

LAN access while Eddie is connected is not possible, we're sorry. We have planned LAN access for a near future Eddie release.

Kind regards

I assume the option to run Eddie for Android with another provider or ovpn file isn't yet present:

https://airvpn.org/topic/19909-eddie-with-other-providers-or-custom-openvpn-configuration-files/

Still no reply to the above.

Also, on another topic, I'm having trouble figuring out the actual status of Eddie.  I awoke this morning to two Eddie notifications on my Pixel 3 XL.  The first (many hours earlier) said "A VPN error has occurred.  VPN has been locked...."  The recent notification (about half an hour ago) said "Connected to server AirVPN Aquila..." (my normal server).  Opening Eddie showed me a big blue circle (indicating connected).  The Network Status line below it said "Connected to WiFi."  But, the VPN Status line said "Locked."  I tried browsing and could not.  So, on one hand I'm not leaking anything across open lines since the Network Lock is engaged.  But, Eddie is giving me mixed signals as to what its actual status is.  If it decides something bad happened and disconnects, the only notification that should show is one that says Disconnected.  There shouldn't be another one saying it made another connection if it did not.  And, second, if the VPN is disconnected (regardless of what the WiFi status is), that big blue button should become a big red button.

Also, there needs to be a way to change the verbosity of the log.  In checking up on the above issue, I tried looking through the log.  There are dozens and dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of pages of entries that are nothing but normal status updates.  Some kind of 1-5 slider would be nice so we can minimize the displayed entries so we can find where the problems were and then slowly increase the verbosity to get more information.

When I try to download an app update in the Google Play Store with Eddie on, the download fails to start.  It just sits there saying "Download Pending."  Now, personally, I think this is Google's problem starting with Android 8.1:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/72484586

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/68657525

and not the specific VPN apps' problem.  But Google denies it.  The following is the text they posted when saying they weren't going to fix the issue:

"When a VPN is up the OS has no way to guarantee that network traffic will go on wifi. The VPN app could decide to send and receive traffic on any available interface, including cell data. Recent changes to the VPN code have made it so that if the VPN calls setUnderlyingNetworks, the networking APIs will reflect some of the properties of the underlying networks (e.g., whether they are metered or not) into the VPN's networkcapabilities. But it's up to the podcast app to use the required APIs, such as isActiveNetworkMetered."

I had this same problem with OpenVPN for Android (which is why I'm trying Eddie for Android):

https://github.com/schwabe/ics-openvpn/issues/851

But, I just thought I'd post here to see if you can track down the problem.