Not connected, Your IP: 34.204.177.148
6V3T8Z35t4KVP1aRtR8i

What's Your Air Server Testing Methodology?

Hey Community,

I just wanted to share my server testing methodology to hopefully help other select the right servers for a solid connection. Open to feedback, suggestions, and posting of your methodology so we can all gain more knowledge. I do the following to test servers for addition to my whitelist (limited set of servers that Eddie Client will pick from for connections):

1. Refresh Eddie server list and sort by latency (low to high)
  2. Pick the top N servers with the lowest latency (or just pick whatever servers you want) and add to your whitelist to create a short list for testing.
  3. Pick a server on your whitelist and connect with your usual protocol settings of choice.
  4. Test you connection stability against a global list of servers (according to the website)
    1. Website: https://www.dslreports.com/tools/pingtest
    2. Setup: None, just run the test.
    3. Test Goal: All 3 evaluations read A+ or A
  5. Any server that fails the above Test Goal is removed from the whitelist. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all whitelist servers are tested or removed.
  6. Pick a server on your [now shorter] whitelist and connect with your usual protocol settings of choice.
  7. Test your connection speed (record the results for comparison)
    1. Website: https://www.speedtest.net/
    2. Setup: Select "change server" and search for one in your city (if available) ideally hosted by your ISP (if it exists). This should help test a round trip out of your ISP and back to your same ISP.
    3. Test Goal: Fastest upload and download speed of the servers in your whitelist. Ping that you are happy with (lowest is best).
  8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all servers are tested.
  9. Retain the top performing servers (upload/download/ping) on your whitest and remove any low performing servers.
  10. Now you have a shortlist of stable, high performing servers in your Eddie whitelist!

my pfsense box is set to connect to: us3.vpn.airdns.org:

i really have no idea how it randomly chooses a server, IF its by speed or latency that is awesome...   my speed tests are always acceptable and rarely do i get disconnected.  IF i do.  i have remote servers for it to automatically connect to.  including America so i will always get connected as long as my ISP is up

i really don't see the need for what you are doing.   i am fully happy with my service as is and am glad i don't have to use Eddie on every device

I've found that my ISP reacts very differently to different servers and based on my discussion with Air support this is likely due to peering agreements https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering#Agreement. I was told that the only way to select the best servers is to test them individually for compatibility. So that forced me to come up with some methodology of doing so ... thus this approach.

my pfsense box is set to connect to: us3.vpn.airdns.org:

i really have no idea how it randomly chooses a server, IF its by speed or latency that is awesome...   my speed tests are always acceptable and rarely do i get disconnected.  IF i do.  i have remote servers for it to automatically connect to.  including America so i will always get connected as long as my ISP is up

i really don't see the need for what you are doing.   i am fully happy with my service as is and am glad i don't have to use Eddie on every device

Now let's automate this, OP...

If only I had coding skills!

i simplified it by installing a computer on my network not going through the vpn tunnel.   i opened Eddie let it scan to see what server was lowest latency and chose it as my remote servers.

i understand what your saying but fortunately i am not having issues with any of the servers currently.

i agree it would be nice to automate it!   don't get me wrong