Not connected, Your IP: 18.190.153.51
Bansisingh

AirVPN stop you getting caught?

Hey guys,

I got "the letter" the other day, just as I was finishing getting AirVPN. It scared me. Does having AirVPN on network lock guarantee I wont get caught torrenting again? If not, what is the best way?

Thanks!

NOTE FROM STAFF: LET'S CLARIFY THAT "THE LETTER" WAS SENT WHEN THE USER DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AIRVPN

A lock on your door won't guarantee you that thieves won't break in.

A bodyguard won't guarantee your safety from physical attacks.

A strong password won't guarantee you that someone will guess or break it.

A VPN connection won't guarantee your privacy.

To top it off: You can't guarantee yourself that you configured something correctly.

OpenVPN does a good job ensuring confidentiality and integrity of your traffic as it goes through the tunnel. But a tunnel has got two ends, hence, two points of failure. One of them is on your device. Misconfigurations like DNS leaks and failed routes were common in the past but clients like Eddie try to ensure that even your end is well configured.

The best way to ensure not getting caught again? Stop torrenting and support your favourite actors and actresses. Netflix is a start.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I'll offer a different take to what giganerd said. Yes, support your favorite movies, but at the same time, don't buy in to the whole multiple streaming options; netflix, disney, amazon, spotify, google youtube premium/youtube red...and on and on...

So to answer your question: yes, if you configured your settings (check with ipleak.net) you should not get any notices since AirVPN has nowhere to send them to (apart from /dev/null that is). Besides, most notices are there to scare you into paying since they'd need to identify the unique human who downloaded the files (could be your neighbor, a dude in a van who hacked your suspiciously weak wifi password or a super intelligent dog). They can't do that so they hope you pay out of fear, the chances of them taking further action are close to 0.

AirVPN allows P2P on all their servers so you don't have anything to worry assuming your real IP is masked when using your P2P client of choice. 

Hello!

You can check the link in my signature for guides on how to configure torrenting correctly so that no accidents happen.

Network Lock (set it to turn on at startup) + A good FOSS client like qBittorent + Setting the torrent client to use tun0 or the equivalent VPN tunnel + always starting Eddie before the torrent client + downloading the testtorrent from ipleak.net is a good combination of actions to help ensure nothing leaks .

Also, just to be pedantic: there's nothing wrong or illegal with torrenting itself, as Bittorrent is just a protocol. It's *what* you torrent that has a risk associated with it.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Wow.. I strongly advise you, Mr. 5YmkoLQZ, to not spread this kind of thinking. Ever. Not even here.

Yes, support your favorite movies, but at the same time, don't buy in to the whole multiple streaming options; netflix, disney, amazon, spotify, google youtube premium/youtube red...and on and on...

You are not supposed to buy in to all of them. Just the good ones offering you the most for your money. No one compels you to buy it all. Do you think the market won't eradicate the weak ones? Netflix is a start because it's rising to the top, if it isn't already, offering you content for an affordable monthly price in acceptable quality.

Besides, most notices are there to scare you into paying since they'd need to identify the unique human who downloaded the files (could be your neighbor, a dude in a van who hacked your suspiciously weak wifi password or a super intelligent dog). They can't do that so they hope you pay out of fear, the chances of them taking further action are close to 0.

Unfortunately, if you live in Germany, they do threaten you with actual law enforcement as the law supports what they do, and if you get caught you should carefully consider your steps.

Technically, they have 3-4 years to sue you until the limitation period runs out and while there was a possibility for you to slip through in the past, today you get one last letter a few months before the end of the 3rd/4th year - guaranteed - and if you don't atone they invite you to court sometime around November and by that time payment is out of the question. Laws change, so those collection firms got some of their ground blown away but less cases mean your case is more visible on the table.

Playing it down to a mere "they try to scare you" is irresponsible towards someone who just got caught as you don't know in which country they reside in and which laws are to be taken how seriously. Hereby a friendly reminder to not be that guy. Or girl.

AirVPN allows P2P on all their servers so you don't have anything to worry assuming your real IP is masked when using your P2P client of choice.

It's allowed because Net Neutrality is a fundamental right in the digital age, not because roguely downloading content for which other people worked their hours is praised. This is a privacy-centered community, after all, not a celebration of your right to freely pirate, even if Net Neutrality technically includes this use case.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I got "the letter" the other day, just as I was finishing getting AirVPN.

Can you clarify on "finishing getting AirVPN". So you were not connected to an AirVPN server?

It scared me.

Deep breaths and relax.

Depending on where you live laws differ. The notice if you got that in your email do a print out and IGNORE THEM FROM NOW ON.

USE YOUR OWN JUDGMENT.

Does having AirVPN on network lock guarantee I wont get caught torrenting again?

Sadly it does not. not 100%.

If not, what is the best way?

Revisit your config software/hardware/network layout.

*Above posts<<--you already have your answer* from other members.

Yeah, cant protect their borders, but sue "a digital pirate' s" ass off ... Chicken ... besides Singh is Indian

Here's my take on it. Not everyone can afford to support actors and actresses so that they can buy even more luxury property and spend the rest on dope and hookers Charlie Sheen style. I doubt the actors/actresses see much if any of the money the law firms extort from rogue downloaders.

Besides in many countries the streaming services suck compared to what's available in the streaming services in the US, they only have a small fraction of the content.

Wow.. I strongly advise you, Mr. 5YmkoLQZ, to not spread this kind of thinking. Ever. Not even here.

Yes, support your favorite movies, but at the same time, don't buy in to the whole multiple streaming options; netflix, disney, amazon, spotify, google youtube premium/youtube red...and on and on...

You are not supposed to buy in to all of them. Just the good ones offering you the most for your money. No one compels you to buy it all. Do you think the market won't eradicate the weak ones? Netflix is a start because it's rising to the top, if it isn't already, offering you content for an affordable monthly price in acceptable quality.

>

Besides, most notices are there to scare you into paying since they'd need to identify the unique human who downloaded the files (could be your neighbor, a dude in a van who hacked your suspiciously weak wifi password or a super intelligent dog). They can't do that so they hope you pay out of fear, the chances of them taking further action are close to 0.

Unfortunately, if you live in Germany, they do threaten you with actual law enforcement as the law supports what they do, and if you get caught you should carefully consider your steps.

Technically, they have 3-4 years to sue you until the limitation period runs out and while there was a possibility for you to slip through in the past, today you get one last letter a few months before the end of the 3rd/4th year - guaranteed - and if you don't atone they invite you to court sometime around November and by that time payment is out of the question. Laws change, so those collection firms got some of their ground blown away but less cases mean your case is more visible on the table.

Playing it down to a mere "they try to scare you" is irresponsible towards someone who just got caught as you don't know in which country they reside in and which laws are to be taken how seriously. Hereby a friendly reminder to not be that guy. Or girl.

It's allowed because Net Neutrality is a fundamental right in the digital age, not because roguely downloading content for which other people worked their hours is praised. This is a privacy-centered community, after all, not a celebration of your right to freely pirate, even if Net Neutrality technically includes this use case.

> Just the good ones offering you the most for your money.

Thepiratebay offers good value for money, Netflix, depends where you are as you say as to what content you get as to whether it's good value. 

> and if you don't atone they invite you to court sometime

And the advice in any legal situation? Get a lawyer and get to work, they need to identify that you were the one responsible and the burden on proof should be on them, of course laws and situations differ so you need to do your own due diligence. 

> is irresponsible towards someone who just got caught

You're right, they got caught, which means they must have made a spectacular mistake somewhere (not using the VPN to begin with) and it'll be a reminder for other users that monitoring does go on and if you're not careful you may end up being an easy target. Education is a good step in understanding what you can and can't do.