Not connected, Your IP: 52.91.67.23

I have a Virgin Media Vivid 200Mbps broadband account and since I installed the new Superhub 3.0 hub my connection to AirVPN has dropped to between 5-15Mbps while without AirVPN I have over 200Mbps. I have spent the most of today on the internet researching this and found many threads at the Virgin forums detailing similar problems. At first I thought about reinstalling the previous hub the Superhub 2.0ac which also dropped when using AirVPN but never below 50-60Mbps and often depending on server between 100 - 150Mbps.

When I started using AirVPN 3-4yrs ago I used a Buffalo router with the Virgin superhub  in modem mode but the Buffalo didn't have a 1GB option and as my broadband connection rose I found that this caused a bottleneck so when I received the Superhub 2.0ac I dropped the Buffalo router and used the superhub as a router.

I had a look through the net this evening to see what the budget routers have evolved to in the past 2-3yrs since I had the Buffalo and came across a few good reviews on the one in the link. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-MAX-STREAM-MU-MIMO-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B01B65ZNXQ  but at 68 and not being an expert on this type of thing thought I would ask for some advice here?.  At present I do not connect to AirVPN 24/7 I tend to connect to it early on a morning to d/l tv series etc and when finished I disconnect and just use the internet through the Superhub 3.0. Would I be able to continue doing this using the router in the link and the superhub in modem mode or would my broadband connection speed be enough to stay connected to AirVPN 24/7?.

Hello!

Please check this guide and see if it helps you.

Other guides may be found in the link in my signature.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Thanks for the reply LZ but that guide is only  okay with Virgin users who still have the old Superhub 2ac. The new Superhub 3 which Virgin are now using is in fact a very good router if you don't have a VPN service, this is apparent by browsing the Virgin Media forums which are full of Superhub 3 problems using VPN's. On my old 2ac superhub I would get my full 200Mbps D/L and 13Mbps U/L speeds without AirVPN connected and get a drop to between 70-120Mbps when using AirVPN and this was more than adequate for me.

Since I installed the new v3.0 Superhub I have had a severe drop in my broadband connection when using AirVPN to between 5 - 15Mbps no matter which Air servers I use or which protocol I use. As both AirVPN and qBittorrent have both had major updates in the same time period it took me a while to figure out where the problem was. After spending most of yesterday trying various settings and solutions I signed in to AirVPN this morning and did a speed test via the "UDP 1194 Official Open VPN port if your ISP blocks the standard entry port" option in the AirVPN protocols which gave me 55Mbps D/L, whoopee I thought problem solved but after trying for a repeat it was back at 13Mbps.

This morning I ordered the Linksys router in the post above and when it arrives I will reset the Virgin hub to Modem mode and use the Linksys router. Do you know if there is a guide available here on connecting AirVPN to the router?. I have a couple of links on how to install / set up the router and know how to reset the Virgin hub to modem mode and I also came across a walkthrough on installing a Cisco router but would like to know if there is something similar for AirVPN?.

I don't recall any guide for that, no. There's guides in the How To forum, but that's if you install different router firmware; which doesn't appear to be supported on that Linksys router, as far as for example DD-WRT firmware.

And just to be clear: if you run the AirVPN software "Eddie" on your computer, then you don't need to make AirVPN run on the router directly, if that was your intent when you wrote "connecting AirVPN to the router".

As for protocols, did you try SSL or SSH too? While remembering to re-connect to a server each time, for the change to take effect?

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I tried lots of different options in the Protocols all the usual advice plus others. I found a walkthrough online in regard to Linksys routers so I think i've got everything covered now.

And just to be clear: if you run the AirVPN software "Eddie" on your computer, then you don't need to make AirVPN run on the router directly, if that was your intent when you wrote "connecting AirVPN to the router".

I do run Eddie on my PC so does this mean that I don't have to fill out the various VPN info into the router settings and AirVPN will just work sort of plug and play through Eddie?.

Thanks again for your input.

Yes. If the Eddie client is running on your PC, you don't need to change anything on your router .

Interaction with the router in this context, is normally done in order to:

• Increase the device limit. Currently you can connect and use 5 devices with your AirVPN account. But if you put the Air software on the router, this number can increase.
  • Make all devices that connect to the Wi-Fi, run through AirVPN. Which is useful, if you can't or won't want to install Eddie on each individual device.
  • Play around, for the sake of performance. But people who do this, know that consumer routers don't offer the absolute best VPN performance, as running a VPN directly on a consumer router, is quite taxing. An example of a non-consumer router, is the Turris Omnia, which has features meant specifically for high performance VPN use.

By the sound of it, you're using 1 PC daily and to torrent from. So unless you wish to tinker for the sake of it, there's no real need to touch your router, in connection with VPN-usage. (Barring any would-be changes in settings that could improve performance in ISP-related issues, as per my first post, which turned out to not be relevant to your case.)

No worries. It's one of the reasons we've got these forums .

I do have a cheap gl.net mini smart router that i have uploaded an opvn file to and so run the vpn on it.

I dont run eddie here.

These are available on amazon for something like £30.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Problem might be as I read, that many consumer or routers cant handle high VPN speeds due to encryption.

Problem might be as I read, that many consumer or routers cant handle high VPN speeds due to encryption.

Not a problem with the Linksys EA7500 anyway. Since installing it a few days ago I get a regular 60+Mbps using AirVPN and my full 200+Mbps without it. Considering that I was only getting between 15-20Mbps on AirVPN using the Virgin Superhub 3.0 before I am pleased that I bought the router.

Not a problem with the Linksys EA7500 anyway. Since installing it a few days ago I get a regular 60+Mbps using AirVPN and my full 200+Mbps without it. Considering that I was only getting between 15-20Mbps on AirVPN using the Virgin Superhub 3.0 before I am pleased that I bought the router.

that s only 30% .... but ok, if you content with it. I guess i wouldn't

that s only 30% .... but ok, if you content with it. I guess i wouldn't

I was going to start another thread asking if anything had changed on AirVPN servers as the last four days I am getting between 100 and 120Mbps while connected to AirVPN and my download speed while torrenting has increased from the last few months cap of 5+Mbps total to over 20Mbps the last four days. Not sure what has happened to create this but long may it continue. I haven't made any changes to my PC/AirVPN/qBittorrent set up and the only other change of note I can mention has been a major update to my Pale Moon 64bit browser and a completely new GUI interface to the Start Page search engine I use for a Home Page and I am unsure how this could have any impact on my connection speeds?.

Maybe some internal tricks were applied or VIRGINs policy for XMas changed ... who knows from the outside

PS: Out of curiosity --- Why did you change from hub2.0 to 3.0? Higher speeds?

Maybe some internal tricks were applied or VIRGINs policy for XMas changed ... who knows from the outside

PS: Out of curiosity --- Why did you change from hub2.0 to 3.0? Higher speeds?

Pure greed for freebies I suppose   I have a tv/broadband/landline bundle with Virgin and had a problem with my Tivo box. An engineer was sent out and replaced it with the latest version of Tivo and while he was at it he offered to change out my superhub 2.1ac to the latest version. As it was free I said go ahead. I still have the old one and contemplated reinstalling it but decided to just go ahead and buy a router instead.