Not connected, Your IP: 52.86.227.103
Sign in to follow this  
crypto1.0

ANSWERED Frequent spikes lag on videogames

Hello,

first of all i want to say that i'm very satisfied with AirVPN and this is my second year i'm using it. Recently i tried to play some video games through the vpn but i noticed that despite ping is acceptable with UDP(>90 ms) spikes lag happen too often and they last for about 10 seconds making the game barely playable. Reading here and there i found someone suggesting to try TCP protocol instead of UDP, but in that case ping is even higher and so then worse. Obviously i choose my closest server with the less load on it. Is there anything else i can do to try or is this an issue of all VPNs in general?

Thank you again, keep it up with the great work.

P.S. i'm using last stable version of Eddie under Windows 7 64-bit

Hello!

Please try different buffers for the OpenVPN sockets. In your case you might try to shrink them. You can change buffer sizes in Eddie window "Preferences" > "Networking". Try 128 KB and even 64 KB buffers. Such sizes are too small to get high performance but in some cases may help in online gaming, where you are more interested in response times than pure broadband alone.

Kind regards

Hello!

Please try different buffers for the OpenVPN sockets. In your case you might try to shrink them. You can change buffer sizes in Eddie window "Preferences" > "Networking". Try 128 KB and even 64 KB buffers. Such sizes are too small to get high performance but in some cases may help in online gaming, where you are more interested in response times than pure broadband alone.

Kind regards

Thank you very much, looks like more stable now

On 11/1/2018 at 11:36 AM, Staff said:

Hello!

Kind regards

hello sorry for necroing this thread but is it supposed to be like this?
image.png.0a509eda2315083ec3a94bf1a39fed44.png
im experiencing weird desync/lag in overwatch aswell.

Yes, that is how you change the buffer size in Eddie. Make sure to use UDP protocol for multiplayer game, TCP is not favorable for FPS multiplayer game based the nature of the protocol.