Not connected, Your IP: 3.88.16.192
mrbert

Is router with AirVPN/openVPN more stable

Currently I am using Airvpn on my windows PC with the eddie client.

In general the performance is good but with irregular intervals I lose my connection.

I am uising Kaspersy Internet security and THe problem with KIS and Eddie is reported bij more people then just me.

Now to solve this problem I am thinking of buying a new router where I maken teh VPV connection with openVPN op the router.

Big benefit si that all traffich is safe.

But is this working stable ?

Which hardware routers would do a good job on this?

I have seen the ASUS RT-AC86U - Gaming Router sugested,  But I am not a gamer

So there are probably more suggestions?

The speed of my connection is about 200 Mbit. Nice but I can live with 100 also.

Imho the Asus RT-AC86U router is a good one for VPN speed and stability and its processor that supports AES-NI. Features like gaming with a dedicated WTfast server on this router is just a small gimmick that could be neglected if you’re not a gamer. In terms of speed and stability and configuring your router with openvpn is just easy to do and stable. You can have 5 VPN clients running for different needs, the whole household can be connected with your AIRVPN tunnel’s. The afterwards running Asus-merlin firmware is for more freedom of settings with small knowledge of networking that can be very handy. If you have a deeper understanding of networking or you want to get to know it, you can go for Pfsense. There is enough info on this forum for that particular setup. Hope it helps.

Posted ... (edited)

i'm not a fanboy of routers running any vpn or iptables stuff

my router can do that it has more capability than i'll ever use

all i want from my router is for it to take the cat5 cable from my ISP

and then stop my ISP's dns and other stuff at the plugin point

then on my router i set my local to static airvpn config

this is a real world killswitch, coz i'm human, forget stuff

make mistakes, this protects my local network from me

and it keeps my ISP off my local

the best thing you can do with any router is leverage their

vanilla config

Edited ... by tokzco

Thanks for the respons

So I think I will invest in a good router that is not to hard to configure, The Asus  RT-AC86U Dual Band Wireless Router AC2900

looks very promissing.
I also saw the Asus RT-AC88U  as a suggested alternative 
and 
Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi-router

TP-Link Archer C3200 - Tri-Band Gigabit Router
and 
Netgear R7800 Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 Router

Which one would give the best performance?

Thanks for the respons

So I think I will invest in a good router that is not to hard to configure, The Asus  RT-AC86U Dual Band Wireless Router AC2900

looks very promissing.
I also saw the Asus RT-AC88U  as a suggested alternative 
and 
Linksys WRT3200ACM AC3200 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi-router

TP-Link Archer C3200 - Tri-Band Gigabit Router
and 
Netgear R7800 Nighthawk X4S - AC2600 Router

Which one would give the best performance?

the AC86U has an AES-NI CPU so it should be the best that I know of.

I Got the Asus router and configuring was not that complicated using https://airvpn.org/asuswrt/

One question I have is: 

On the edddie client there is a network lock function. How it that when I acces via the OPEN VPN on teh router?

IS there any rist that my connection becomes transparent again without me noticing it?

Option; 1. Go to Firewall then to Network Services Filter. Select White-list then tick all days, 23:59 to 23:59. Click Apply. It just works. Extra option; 2 Use ASUS Merlin Firmware and select, Block routed clients if tunnel goes down. (Search google how to use) Bit more complicated but doable in the end. 

No problem to run an OpenVPN client on your router.

Let the whole network connect to it or just select certain computers, you wish to go through the VPN instead.

If you are using the ASUS Merlin firmware, than this setup is no problem.

Stable connection here, uptime since 21 days, no performance issues. Using Swedish AltusHost server from AirVPN.

There is a report about OpenVPN on the ASUS RT-AC86U on this link..

Option; 1. Go to Firewall then to Network Services Filter. Select White-list then tick all days, 23:59 to 23:59. Click Apply. It just works. Extra option; 2 Use ASUS Merlin Firmware and select, Block routed clients if tunnel goes down. (Search google how to use) Bit more complicated but doable in the end. 

Hi just moved to my new home where I have the router installed.

I do not have merlin installed yet, maybe in future, fitst,I want to make sure the router is OK:)

But I do not use the windows defender firewall I have kaspersky. Should I change a setting there?

What shopuld I whitelist?

I do not have merlin installed yet, maybe in future, fitst,I want to make sure the router is OK:)

But I do not use the windows defender firewall I have kaspersky. Should I change a setting there?

I have no experience with Kaspersky. Maybe others here can be supportive with this software. Out of the box. In the router, you will see a button AiProtection, with Trend Micro uses real-time network monitoring to detect malware, viruses and other intrusions before it reaches your PC or connected devices. However, it has a call home function. With a search on the internet and some common sense, makes you decide if this effects your do's or don'ts.

I have no experience with Kaspersky. Maybe others here can be supportive with this software. Out of the box. In the router, you will see a button AiProtection, with Trend Micro uses real-time network monitoring to detect malware, viruses and other intrusions before it reaches your PC or connected devices. However, it has a call home function. With a search on the internet and some common sense, makes you decide if this effects your do's or don'ts.

I Do not have the AI protection enabled in the router.

My concern is more what will happen if the openVPN connection does not work.

@kenwell I do not understand this part on your suggestion above

Option; 1. Go to Firewall then to Network Services Filter. Select White-list then tick all days, 23:59 to 23:59. Click Apply

Which firewall? In the router? On my PC?

I was referring to the firewall settings in the router with stock firmware from Asus.

Test it by disabling the vpn and look if you still have internet and reaching webpages.

Hi I have openvpn running on my router. This works in general OK wit my asus AC86U router.

Now I need to expand my wifi so I think of getting a  2nd asus router with Aimesh like RT-AC68U or 2nd  RT-AC86U.

Now I wonder, will the connection via this router also automatically use the VPN connection or will it build an own connection directly to the modem via the UTP backbone and omit the VPN? 

I had to enable keepalives on my router because the connection can go dead anywhere from days to several weeks of being connected. It's stable enough that it hasn't interfered with any of my activities as long as keepalives are enabled so the router doesn't stay connected to a dead tunnel. Previously, I never needed to enable this because the connection on the same router was completely stable to the point it only ever went down when my internet went down. So I guess your mileage may vary by internet provider but if you are having issues but are otherwise happy with the Eddie client, I would try enabling keepalives in the custom config and see if that helps.

I had some problems with my provider Ziggo and frequetly got error messages related to bad DCP configuration on certain IP ranges.

My old TPling does not see this problem..

IS it true that the DHCP suport on merlin is better?

Is there a big risc when I flash to merlin? IS recovery to original FW difficult?

I downloaded the latesRT-AC86U_384.9_0,zip buy I see two text files , a checksum eebn an file named RT-AC86U_384.9_0_cferom_ubi.w

Is this last one the file I should upload to the router?

Today I discoverd that I was connected directly and not via my VPN.

The suggestion was :

Option; 1. Go to Firewall then to Network Services Filter. Select White-list then tick all days, 23:59 to 23:59. Click Apply. It just works.  option; 2 Use ASUS Merlin Firmware and select, Block routed clients if tunnel goes down. (Search google how to use) Bit more complicated but doable in the end. 

I Now have done option 1 but what is the whitelist where is the info for the white list and what should I have entered there?

I now also have merlin installed an I Looked at this page https://www.vpnuniversity.com/routers/use-selectivepolicy-routing-kill-switch-asuswrt-merlin

But my VPN menu tab for the client is smaller.

It only has: VPN status, VPN-server, VPN-Client and TOR

Nothing to do with policy based routing:S 
Where do I go wrong?