Not connected, Your IP: 18.212.102.174

ANSWERED [FUD] Paypal account accessed through AirVPN but it wasn't me

Last night I noticed that there was money missing from my paypal account. I called them this morning and they gave me the IP of the person who logged in and transferred the money. It came back to an AirVPN server, Bellatrix, which I use often. However, the MAC address paypal had for the access was one that has never been used on my account.

I recently had an issue with my debit card being used online after using a US server, staff dismissed my concerns and said this was down to my PC possibly being compromised, however, with paypal, they confirmed that my account was accessed through an Airvpn server. What is going on?

My genuine concerns regarding my debit card use have been marked as FUD and I'm assuming this will be too. However, if the staff look at how long I have been with Airvpn, they will know I am a loyal customer and really do want to carry on using Airvpn.

However, the MAC address paypal had for the access was one that has never been used on my account.

Now it's beyond any doubt that you are a troll. PayPal and any 3d party website for that matter, cannot know your MAC address since

it is never transmitted outside your router in the first place. So all that story falls apart.

however, with paypal, they confirmed that my account was accessed through an Airvpn server.

This were the words of the PayPal rep? Your account was accessed by Airvpn server? Must be a very technical rep to know all

the VPN services exit IPs.

So you claim that an attacker or malicious Air employee managed to steal both your credit card and PayPal logins, on multiple

occasions and different servers? Not even mentioning TLS here, since it sounds worse than FUD.

If this is just a desperate attempt to get a refund, you could simply ask.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

However, the MAC address paypal had for the access was one that has never been used on my account.

Now it's beyond any doubt that you are a troll. PayPal and any 3d party website for that matter, cannot know your MAC address since

it is never transmitted outside your router in the first place. So all that story falls apart.

>however, with paypal, they confirmed that my account was accessed through an Airvpn server.

This were the words of the PayPal rep? Your account was accessed by Airvpn server? Must be a very technical rep to know all

the VPN services exit IPs.

So you claim that an attacker or malicious Air employee managed to steal both your credit card and PayPal logins, on multiple

occasions and different servers? Not even mentioning TLS here, since it sounds worse than FUD.

If this is just a desperate attempt to get a refund, you could simply ask.

MAC addresses do get transmitted, otherwise how would it be that when I log into outlook from a new devide for example, i get a new device detected warning? Likewise, why would we have tools like MACchanger on Linux?

My questions are genuine concerns, again look at how long I have been with Air, why would I troll to get a refund? Plus I only have over a month left until I was going to renew.

The paypal rep provided the IP address, which I then matched to the Bellatrix server. As paypal uses geolocation-based access controls too, it had to be one of the UK servers and from there it wasn't difficult to narrow down. Plus, sites like ipleak tell you details of the IP address including if its an air server, so again, he doesn't to know all the IPs.

I never said an air employee stole anything, my question was just to get some guidance/clarification because of my lack of knowledge. You're an idiot for replying in such a manner. The air community and staff have never been this scared of addressing genuine concerns. Previously, all my questions have been answered in a respectful and satisfactory manner. Air even has a forum to discuss competitors. What is happening to your openness? I literally have no idea which other VPN provider I would use besides air.

MAC addresses do get transmitted, otherwise how would it be that when I log into outlook from a new devide for example, i get a new device detected warning? Likewise, why would we have tools like MACchanger on Linux?

They don't. Just make a quick search for how it actually works. New devices detections are based on cookies/HTML5 local storage, clean them and you will trigger a new device warning.

MACchanger has totally different purposes, such as changing your MAC from hostile public networks, or to impersonate other devices for legitimate (or less ) purposes.

Change your MAC on any device and any website will not trigger any warning, it is totally transparent for them.

Replying in what manner? Telling facts about how the internet works? Or pointing to you that your story, if true, can be only accounted for your compromised PC 

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

The MAC address can be transmitted (especially on mobile phones) if an app records it and then sends it but as Zhang said, if we're only talking about networking, the MAC address never goes beyond your router.

However I'm not sure the Paypal staff member you talked to was talking about the MAC address but more likely about one out of many of the phone's identifiers (if we're talking about a phone once again)

Replying in what manner? Telling facts about how the internet works? Or pointing to you that your story, if true, can be only accounted for your compromised PC 

Replying in a hostile manner assuming I'm doing it to put Air down, or criticising Air or even trolling for a refund. Tomorrow will be my 3 year anniversary with air, up until reading these replies, I hadn't even considered changing VPN providers. But thanks for your response. Could you lock or close this topic please as I no longer feel there is any benefit from asking for guidance here. Thanks

You are not "putting Air down" nor "asking for guidance" by falsifying facts, some of which I pointed and some of which others pointed in your previous thread.

People who ask for guidance don't spread conspiracy theories and false accusations, which technically proven to be impossible.

Calling people who find your story odd idiots doesn't give you any credibility either.

On first occasion, you kept insisting that the servers are compromised, and were proven wrong. All this while you refused to accept the official answer.

Now you decided to try a new tactic, while adding more "technical terms" to blend in the story to make it look convincing, but this time you decided to

add some false technical terms and alleged "PayPal responses" which simply cannot be technically valid, but this is really beyond the discussion here.

A truly conscious person would simply raise a private support ticket in this case, and will not make a joke (of himself mainly) on a public forum.