Not connected, Your IP: 52.55.214.236
Stef_wilvpn2

iOS 12 reconnect VPN on wake up problem

I have upgraded both an iPhone and iPad to iOS 12 and now having an issue with OpenVPN. Previously I had no problems with the VPN connection resuming on wake up or when there were events like push notifications.

Now however, OpenVPN is failing to reconnect on wake up after extended periods without use on both devices and when there are push notifications.

When I open OpenVPN after a failure to reconnect, there is an error message saying the connection failed and asking me if I want to retry. If I hit retry, it does successfully connect.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?

Thank you

Yes I’m getting exactly same problem with those devices since the update. But my iPhone did have the same issues without the error message before I updated to iOS 12 but it possibly could of been because it was in low power mode. I’ve reported it but they just told me to keep iOS up to date to resolve any issues. OpenVPN seamless tunnel is useless by the way and that’s what makes this problem worse.

Yes I’m getting exactly same problem with those devices since the update. But my iPhone did have the same issues without the error message before I updated to iOS 12 but it possibly could of been because it was in low power mode. I’ve reported it but they just told me to keep iOS up to date to resolve any issues. OpenVPN seamless tunnel is useless by the way and that’s what makes this problem worse.

For the other forum readers: yes, because some iOS 12 bugs involving even VPN usage have been fixed only recently, AND some openvpn-connecrt issues that you can experience under iOS 12 are still persisting, Please read here:

https://docs.openvpn.net/connecting/connecting-to-access-server-with-apple-ios/faq-regarding-openvpn-connect-ios/

For the readers again, one of the reasons for which Croco says that seamless tunnel is useless is because Apple policy states that various Apple applications/services traffic will go outside any VPN tunnel in any case (see in the same above linked page the question "If my OpenVPN profile uses redirect-gateway, does that guarantee that all of my network traffic will be routed through the VPN tunnel?"!).

It's important that you know all of the above.

Kind regards

Yes that’s something I should have clarified in my comment. Sorry about that guys.

So as OpenVPN and Apple seem to be moving none to fast on this issues and both sides blame the other, is there any chance there might be an Eddie app for iOS in the future? My guess would be that an airvpn client app would work far better than the OpenVPN app.

Also just as an update, the iOS 12.1 beta does not appear to address the issue with the VPN connection dropping out regularly.

So as OpenVPN and Apple seem to be moving none to fast on this issues and both sides blame the other, is there any chance there might be an Eddie app for iOS in the future? My guess would be that an airvpn client app would work far better than the OpenVPN app.

Apple forbids and fights free and open source software on its store and at the moment we have no plans to release closed source software. On top of that Apple underlines that any Apple application traffic can bypass any VPN anytime. Before entering development in such a locked, dangerous and somehow contrary to our mission environment we need to consider every aspect carefully.

Kind regards

This issue has recently started happening yet again. I’m going to try deleting and reinstalling the OpenVPN app and the AIRVPN profiles and seeing if that makes any difference. But is their anyone else having this problem lately and is their any new info on the issue ?

On 10/1/2018 at 3:18 PM, Staff said:

Apple forbids and fights free and open source software on its store and at the moment we have no plans to release closed source software.

I know there’re many open source apps in iOS App Store. What do you mean by “forbids and fights”? Is it yearly dev program fee or something else?

@croco @Stef_wilvpn2 I don’t have such issues with iOS devices. I have other problems. On one device OpenVPN app uses a lot of battery when device is sleeping even though tunnel isn’t connected. I wasn’t able to figure this one out.
Also it often fails to connect to carrier’s WiFi Calling when OpenVPN is enabled. Theoretically iOS is using a separate IKE tunnel for this, but something goes wrong. Too many tunnels?

I’m usually using the following settings:
Reconnect On Wakeup: On
Seamless Tunnel: On
VPN Protocol: Adaptive (it’s overwritten in .ovpn config anyway)
IPv6: IPV4-only
Connection Timeout: Continuously Retry
Allow Compression: No  (it’s overwritten in .ovpn config anyway)
AES-CBC: Off
Minimum TLS Version: 1.2
DNS Fallback: Off
Connect Via: Any Network
Layer 2 Reachability: On