Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.132.223
Sign in to follow this  
worric

ANSWERED Paysafecard as payment option

Hi!

I don't know if this has been asked already, but what about adding paysafecard as a payment option?

It is indeed very anonymous, and with the growing censorship exhibited by paypal, the payment option becomes even more attractive.

I know you offer bitcoins as payment method, but it's somewhat of a daunting task to wrap your head around all the info out there, and just installing the default client for managing your own wallet and transactions isn't anonymous in the least.

Hi!

I don't know if this has been asked already, but what about adding paysafecard as a payment option?

It is indeed very anonymous, and with the growing censorship exhibited by paypal, the payment option becomes even more attractive.

I know you offer bitcoins as payment method, but it's somewhat of a daunting task to wrap your head around all the info out there, and just installing the default client for managing your own wallet and transactions isn't anonymous in the least.

Hello!

We'll consider your suggestion, thank you.

Bitcoin can be easily given a strong anonymity layer, just tunnel it through TOR.

Kind regards

paysafecard would be nice especially since paypal doesn't accept my money any more

tried to pay with bitcoins as well but after two hours i gave up

That's exactly my point! If you want to get started with bitcoins from scratch, there's a lot of material to cover.

If you don't have any bitcoins, you'll have to trade them off a site like mtgox, etc. (which doesn't allow Tor access btw so no anonymity there). Or you can just buy them off of strangers on various communities in the internet if you fancy putting your trust (and money) in the hands of someone you don't know.

Or you can mine for them yourself via any of the specialized clients which allow you to utilize your GPU. Finding the right one and setting it up can be quite time consuming in itself, not to mention that mining for bitcoins is nowhere near as 'easy' as when the concept was new, so the chance of getting 50btc from that process is very low. If you want steady income from bitcoins you'll need to sign up for pooled mining...

and so on...

And if you approach it the easy way, like what the easily-acceible http://www.weusecoins.com/ tells you, you aren't going to have any anonymity at all.

It's not an easy task. Especially not as easy as just picking up a a paysafecard in a (hopefully) nearby shop and put in the code on the internet.

Hello!

You can also accept BTC for (some of) your work / sales / services or anything else you do in your life. Usually this is the easiest way to earn BTC. About anonymity, we recommend you tunnel your Bitcoin client over TOR (the default client has an immediate option to do that). If you feel that your wallet compromise your anonymity, just use another one to subscribe to the VPN. You have no limits on the number of wallets, obviously, and you can transfer anonymously BTC from a wallet to another.

Kind regards

Okay, I wasn't aware that the official client had tor integration.

I've spent the entire evening researching tor and so far it seems that it's not that hard to get a decent layer of anonymity through the default client.

However, using the default client with Vidalia Tor client, I get warnings saying that:

"[Warning] Your application (using socks4 to port 8333) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolves themselves may leak information. Consider using Socks4A (e.g. via privoxy or socat) instead. For more information, please see https://wiki.torproject.org/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#SOCKSAndDNS."

What're your thoughts?

Okay, I wasn't aware that the official client had tor integration.

I've spent the entire evening researching tor and so far it seems that it's not that hard to get a decent layer of anonymity through the default client.

However, using the default client with Vidalia Tor client, I get warnings saying that:

"[Warning] Your application (using socks4 to port 8333) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolves themselves may leak information. Consider using Socks4A (e.g. via privoxy or socat) instead. For more information, please see https://wiki.torproject.org/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#SOCKSAndDNS."

What're your thoughts?

Hello!

Currently the recommended bundle by the Tor Project is the Tor Browser Bundle which uses a SOCKS proxy. It's not that the Bitcoin client has TOR integration, however it can be easily configured (in the settings menu) to use a proxy.

Anyway, it is not a matter of concern for the Bitcoin client: the problem was that DNS queries for websocket connections were not made by the proxy.

You might also like to read here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#IkeepseeingthesewarningsaboutSOCKSandDNSandinformationleaks.ShouldIworry

The problem about DNS leaks should be taken seriously with Firefox (and perhaps other browsers). For this reason, the Tor Project updated their bundles with a very important security release on May the 4th, 2012:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/new-tor-browser-bundles-security-release

Further considerations:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-May/024155.html

All of the above does not apply if you tunnel over Air over TOR, however we very strongly recommend to keep your Tor bundle up to date just in case you need to use Firefox over TOR without Air.

Kind regards

Just on a similar note,i.e,different payment methods,one of the the ones i really wish you could introduce is pay by SMS message or premium phone call...I personally would rather pay this way.

There are other vpn,s that have that option so it is possible..thing is,i've been with airvpn for a few months now and,in my very humble opinion, your simply the best vpn service out there,so SMS option or no SMS option i'm sticking with you guys :-)

A happy customer D

for me the bitcoin app doesn't get any internet connection at all if i configure it to run over tor

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hello!

Please follow the instructions and make sure that your proxy is a SOCKS proxy (not http) and it is running and listening to port 9001 (which is not the default port the SOCKS proxy listens to on the latest TOR browser bundles).

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tor

Kind regards

Hello!

Currently the recommended bundle by the Tor Project is the Tor Browser Bundle which uses a SOCKS proxy. It's not that the Bitcoin client has TOR integration, however it can be easily configured (in the settings menu) to use a proxy.

Anyway, it is not a matter of concern for the Bitcoin client: the problem was that DNS queries for websocket connections were not made by the proxy.

You might also like to read here:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#IkeepseeingthesewarningsaboutSOCKSandDNSandinformationleaks.ShouldIworry

The problem about DNS leaks should be taken seriously with Firefox (and perhaps other browsers). For this reason, the Tor Project updated their bundles with a very important security release on May the 4th, 2012:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/new-tor-browser-bundles-security-release

Further considerations:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-May/024155.html

All of the above does not apply if you tunnel over Air over TOR, however we very strongly recommend to keep your Tor bundle up to date just in case you need to use Firefox over TOR without Air.

Kind regards

Thanks for your fast and very elaborate answer to my post. It is indeed nice to see the Air crew so engaged in their comminuty.

I tested the bitcoin client with tcpdump listening to port 53 and, indeed, without the proxy settings the client did generate dns traffic. When configured to use Tor proxy (Vidalia), tcpdump was silent.

So I guess there's nothing to worry about.

Just a quick question though, which I don't think was very clear from all the bitcoin/Tor material I've scoured:

It is only when the bitcoin addresses for actual payments comes in to play that using Tor is necessary, right? As opposed to downloading(/seeding?) the block data (which is slow over Tor), where the anonymity layer isn't needed?

I'm worried that having the client opened without Tor has sent my identity (IP-address) out there on the bitcoin p2p network, and is somehow traceable to my wallet and addresses when I decide to use them.

Just a quick question though, which I don't think was very clear from all the bitcoin/Tor material I've scoured:

It is only when the bitcoin addresses for actual payments comes in to play that using Tor is necessary, right? As opposed to downloading(/seeding?) the block data (which is slow over Tor), where the anonymity layer isn't needed?

Hello!

To the best of our knowledge you are right. This is a good question to ask to the Bitcoin support.

However, a suggestion for the really paranoid people (almost like us :D ): buy the coupon code with a dedicated wallet only used over TOR and filled with only the exact amount you need, then (once you have received the coupon and you have managed to activate your account) securely delete that wallet.

Kind regards

I may or may not contact bitcoin support about it. Honestly I've spent waay too much time on this already.

Anyway, the case seems to be that if you're a bitcoin novice and concerned about your privacy more than the average computer user, chances are that you'll make crucial mistakes somewhere along in the process of paying for AirVPN, and end up with a false sense of security based on having used an "anonymous currency".

Is there any chance AirVPN will write some official, in-depth yet simple to execute recommendation on the whole bitcoin process as it relates to paying for your service so that users are guaranteed a high level of anonymity? I'm thinking client recommendations/ewallets, considerations regarding acquisition of bitcoins from various sources, usage together with Tor/i2p/Jondo etc.

I may or may not contact bitcoin support about it. Honestly I've spent waay too much time on this already.

Hello!

Security and privacy on the Internet, as well as in life, require a continuous process of information and education. We do our utmost best to provide a strong anonymity layer, however (as we write in our ToS) a VPN secures your connection, not your computer or your behavior.

Anyway, the case seems to be that if you're a bitcoin novice and concerned about your privacy more than the average computer user, chances are that you'll make crucial mistakes somewhere along in the process of paying for AirVPN, and end up with a false sense of security based on having used an "anonymous currency".

We don't agree, the system has been designed to destroy correlations between the purchase and an account. When you buy a subscription with BTC, in reality you buy a code from a completely independent reseller (bitcoincodes.com). Then you use that code to activate any account on our website, so there is no correlation between the purchase of BTC through other currencies and/or the purchase of a code, and a premium account on the VPN.

Is there any chance AirVPN will write some official, in-depth yet simple to execute recommendation on the whole bitcoin process as it relates to paying for your service so that users are guaranteed a high level of anonymity? I'm thinking client recommendations/ewallets, considerations regarding acquisition of bitcoins from various sources, usage together with Tor/i2p/Jondo etc.

The following post may be what you're looking for. It describes how to preserve a strong anonymity layer in the worst case scenario:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=54&limit=6&limitstart=6&Itemid=142#1745

Kind regards

hello

two weeks has past since you told worric you would consider adding paysafecard as a payment option

have you considered it yet

it would be really nice if you would be able add it to you payment options, otherwise i might not be able to use you service anymore

/yerozard

Yeah, I would like to pay with paysafecard too. It's very anonymous as well as you can buy them at every gas station over here in germany.

The bitcoin system is nice too, but I think actually getting some coins is a pain in the ***

Hope you'll think about it.

I agree. Paysafecard (or ukash) directly would be nice and simple (but I guess they charge the merchant a steep fee (15% or so). I'd be willing to pay that extra I think.

It might be possible to use the paysafecard like this: Neteller -> VirWox (LindenDollar then Bitcoin [described here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/VirWoX]). But that's way too many steps.

Hi...

Just thought I'd give this subject a quick bump,if paysafecard could be incorporated into a payment method for airvpn it would be fantastic,like a few others have said in this thread,I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for paying by this method.

Cheers D

I agree with many others. Another type of payment method is to be desired. I did a trial and really like the service despite the amount of time and learning involved just to get it working right. But Ive been trying to pay for a subscription off and on for the last 2 weeks and I cant figure out out how bitcoins work or how i get them. And paypal is out of the question because of their new rules of storing transaction or w/e it was. Also I'm in Japan so any of the options which involves going to a physical place i.e cvs walmart, to get the code is out of the question.

I'm at the point where "somebody take my $#@$# money and give me coins. It seems like there is no simple website or easy process that does this. What am I missing?

So I downloaded an e-wallet got my code. Tunnel it over tor. Let blocks update.

Go to a site like bitinstant.com and put in my code. But there is no option for an personal e-wallet code. Only online locker sites like mtgox. etc.

So anyways, I go to mtgox, make an account,

Go back to bitinstant.com put in my mtgox addy, and click send funds, and.... error. Every time. No matter what i do always get an error "seller not authorized to accept payments at this time........

Where the hell is the easy process of putting in my credit card info and getting bitcoins dammit.!.........

Any news? AirVPN is growing rapidly in popularity, so I suspect you'll have quite a few customers wanting this... I know I do

Any news? AirVPN is growing rapidly in popularity, so I suspect you'll have quite a few customers wanting this... I know I do

sadly airvpn doesn't seem to be very interested in adding support for paysafecard, at least they haven't replied for a long time.

Hello all

please is it possible to pay somehow with payserve or Ukash? :woohoo:

I would prefer to pay with these cards, even if it means to pay some additional fee, eg 10€ a month.

Paying with bitcoins is hard for me, I must learn all the process and in the end it is more expensive for me since this time I could spend on other activities. i will learn it someday maybe.... if only I have enough time....

I think not only for me but for many people payserve card (and other cards like this) is very anonymous. You just go to some place, pay for the card with hard cold cash (of course you will be on CCTV but they will delete the movie-file after some 24 hours :woohoo: and you can take a hat and scarf and glasses and wintercoat in this weather !!!!! :woohoo: or you can ask your neighbour or mother to buy the card for you... or ask someone who you will kill after the purchase :woohoo: .).

For example I live in a big city and I can buy this cards on hundreds of places around me totally anonymously.

Thank you in advance for the answer

I think its clear, nobody does not react on this thread. silence is the answer as well.

I'd like to know what secret is behind this, why they dont support paysafecard, its shame.